Thread: Does liver need to be grass-fed? page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Does liver need to be grass-fed?

Primal Fuel
    I know that liver is very healthy, though I've never tried it before. I only really have access to grain-fed, however. Should I still eat a lot of liver, even if it's conventionally raised, or would that make the liver too toxic? Liver is very lean, so I wasn't sure it mattered like it would if it were a fattier cut of meat.

Thanks for any help
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

petriquor is offline Senior Member
    This is relevant to my interests. I've been wondering the same thing and have read conflicting things on the matter.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsister View Post
    I know that liver is very healthy, though I've never tried it before. I only really have access to grain-fed, however. Should I still eat a lot of liver, even if it's conventionally raised, or would that make the liver too toxic? Liver is very lean, so I wasn't sure it mattered like it would if it were a fattier cut of meat.
    Don't let perfect get in the way of good enough. While grass fed may be more optimal and preferred, somehow I doubt that's going to be the limiting factor towards improved health.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading about this the other day irt chicken liver. Diane SanFelippo (Paleo nutritionist -- Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Coaching & Seminars | Paleo Nutritionist, Nutrition Coach, CrossFit Nutrition, Food Allergy, Allergies, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, IBS, IBD) says yes -- needs to be as "clean" as possible.

I'm certainly no expert, unlike Diane, but I personally will only eat grass-fed/free range liver. The liver is the body's filter. Lord only knows how nasty a CAFO liver is.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "To call the liver a simple filter is incorrect. If we want to maintain the metaphor, itís more like a chemical processing plant."

Emphasis in Mark's to-the-point discussion (May 2011) here: Does the Liver Store Toxins?

Don't think of the liver as a filter, with gunk stuck in it. Instead, it's busy converting things (e.g. glucose into glycogen), including rendering stuff that's not good for you safe to excrete.

Although it's plausible that grain-fed cows' livers have to work harder than grass-fed cows' livers, there doesn't seem to be any science to say a grain-fed cow's liver is bad for you. Essentially, there's not going to be anything in the liver that's toxic unless the whole animal is Chernobyled or something like that.

Mark again: "Liver can accumulate toxins and heavy metals, but so can every other part of the animal. If you avoid liver because of toxins, you should probably avoid the rest of the animal, too." (Emphasis in the original)
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal