Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Danger in using Coconut Flour? page

  1. #1
    McChunky's Avatar
    McChunky is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    52

    Danger in using Coconut Flour?

    Primal Fuel
    I've seen many recipes on here and Paleo sites for items containing coconut or almond flour. I've made coconut flour pancakes for my 2 year old and she loves them.

    My concern is I've also heard rumblings about oxidation in cooking with such flours as well as concerns over the phytic acid in coconut flour.

    Does anyone have some good information on this (links, etc.) they could share?
    I want to avoid wheat/gluten at all cost for my kids' diet but I want to make sure I'm not using an even worse alternative.

  2. #2
    tarek's Avatar
    tarek is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    674
    I wouldn't stress using coconut flour. It's cheap, and if it's the sole source of phytic acid in her diet, she'll be far better off than many. Almond flour, on the other hand, is something to avoid unless it was made using soaked or sprouted almonds. It's also fairly expensive, and since it's not very nutritious, it's not really worth the money (in my opinion).


  3. #3
    Fury's Avatar
    Fury is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I wouldn't stress using coconut flour. It's cheap, and if it's the sole source of phytic acid in her diet, she'll be far better off than many. Almond flour, on the other hand, is something to avoid unless it was made using soaked or sprouted almonds. It's also fairly expensive, and since it's not very nutritious, it's not really worth the money (in my opinion).
    ....coconut flour is cheap?
    I mean... in theory it could be dirt cheap as it's pretty much a refined byproduct of various coconut milk & oil manufacturing processes, but around here I've yet to find it any cheaper than $7 per pound

  4. #4
    MadelynMc's Avatar
    MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    ....coconut flour is cheap?
    I mean... in theory it could be dirt cheap as it's pretty much a refined byproduct of various coconut milk & oil manufacturing processes, but around here I've yet to find it any cheaper than $7 per pound
    I think tarek meant cheap-ER. Around here you can get coconut flour for about $5+ a pound, but almond flour is usually $10-11. It's my understanding that almond flour is high in omega 6 and phytic acid, like almonds. While coconut flour is quite a bit more expensive than wheat flour, you use much, much less per recipe (a lot of eggs) and I find that I really only use it on occasion. We're just used to not eating baked goods anymore. And Mark's banana/egg/almond butter pancake recipe is ah-mazing! No flour necessary.

  5. #5
    SoccerGrok's Avatar
    SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon
    Posts
    1,033
    These are super easy to make, tasty, and no coconut/almond flour.

    1 1/2 scoops protein powder
    1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    2 Eggs
    2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
    Shredded Coconut(Optional, but tasty)

  6. #6
    tarek's Avatar
    tarek is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    ....coconut flour is cheap?
    I mean... in theory it could be dirt cheap as it's pretty much a refined byproduct of various coconut milk & oil manufacturing processes, but around here I've yet to find it any cheaper than $7 per pound
    Since it is another result of the processes used to make coconut oil and coconut milk, it is only as refined as those two products are. In my area, I've found bags of coconut flour for $5. As Madelyn said, you don't use nearly as much in baking as you would wheat flour. Almond flour, by comparison, is much more expensive. Where I live, at least.

  7. #7
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    ....coconut flour is cheap?
    Yes.

    Azukar Organics Natural and Organic Coconut Flour, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

    6 pounds for $20. I have this exact flour and it's VERY high quality - just as good as Bob's Red Mill. It's organic and certified gluten-free.

    I have almond meal, but I try not to use it because it's a caloric bomb, high omega 6 and oxidizes easily. I only use it for cheesecake crust. Luckily, I get it from $3.99/lb from Trader Joe's
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  8. #8
    Fury's Avatar
    Fury is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Yes.

    Azukar Organics Natural and Organic Coconut Flour, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

    6 pounds for $20. I have this exact flour and it's VERY high quality - just as good as Bob's Red Mill. It's organic and certified gluten-free.

    I have almond meal, but I try not to use it because it's a caloric bomb, high omega 6 and oxidizes easily. I only use it for cheesecake crust. Luckily, I get it from $3.99/lb from Trader Joe's
    wow
    I swear, it'd almost be worth a trip to the US border just to pickup stuff like this, seems like once a week I spot some crazy deal on amazon, but Amazon.ca is still stuck in 1999, and doesn't ship anything but books, CDs, DVDs, etc... and other crap nobody actually buys anymore up here to Canada

  9. #9
    Monika's Avatar
    Monika is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    91

    recipe by Soccer Grok!

    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    These are super easy to make, tasty, and no coconut/almond flour.

    1 1/2 scoops protein powder
    1/4 tsp Baking Powder
    2 Eggs
    2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
    Shredded Coconut(Optional, but tasty)
    What the heck do you call it?

  10. #10
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,354
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's a lot better than nut flours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •