Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice porridge (Risengrød) page

TriGirl is offline Member

Rice porridge (Risengrød)

Primal Fuel
    So in Denmark it's a christmas tradition that you serve rice porridge the day before christmas, since it is used in the dessert on christmas eve. But since rice porridge is made on rice and milk and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and a little butter in the middle it is pretty much all the way non primal... Which sucks since it is one of my favorite foods, but even using it as a cheat meal will make me sick.

Anyhow thats the introduction, yesterday I was looking through Paleo Comfort foods (love love love that book) and they had a recipe for Paleo grits, which I kinda think would have the same consistency. So I decided to try and make my own version of rice porridge from cauliflower and coconut milk... Sounds so strange but it worked perfectly, so if any of you guys miss something like oatmeal in the morning this might be worth the try, its very filling due to the coconut milk, which would make it perfect on one of those cold winter mornings...

I used (3-4 bowls):
    1 head of cauliflower
    1 can of coconutmilk (I would definitely not go light on this one)
    2 sweet apples
    butter
    salt, cinnamon)
    (Stewia depending on your tastebuds)

It was really easy I brought the coconut milk to boil while I riced the cauliflower and the apples, mixed the entire thing in the pot and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes until it had the desired texture. Served it in a bowl sprinkled (completely covered since I love cinnamon) with cinnamon and a piece of butter on top... I did use a little artificial sweetener on top, but that could definitely be left out.

I will definitely be making this again since it is very easy to reheat and therefor makes a very easy tasty breakfast - so next time I'll post a picture... Until then here is a picture of the normal danish version ,-)

Lonnie

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriGirl View Post
    So in Denmark it's a christmas tradition that you serve rice porridge the day before christmas, since it is used in the dessert on christmas eve. But since rice porridge is made on rice and milk and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and a little butter in the middle it is pretty much all the way non primal... Which sucks since it is one of my favorite foods, but even using it as a cheat meal will make me sick.

Anyhow thats the introduction, yesterday I was looking through Paleo Comfort foods (love love love that book) and they had a recipe for Paleo grits, which I kinda think would have the same consistency. So I decided to try and make my own version of rice porridge from cauliflower and coconut milk... Sounds so strange but it worked perfectly, so if any of you guys miss something like oatmeal in the morning this might be worth the try, its very filling due to the coconut milk, which would make it perfect on one of those cold winter mornings...

I used (3-4 bowls):
    1 head of cauliflower
    1 can of coconutmilk (I would definitely not go light on this one)
    2 sweet apples
    butter
    salt, cinnamon)
    (Stewia depending on your tastebuds)

It was really easy I brought the coconut milk to boil while I riced the cauliflower and the apples, mixed the entire thing in the pot and let it simmer for 20-30 minutes until it had the desired texture. Served it in a bowl sprinkled (completely covered since I love cinnamon) with cinnamon and a piece of butter on top... I did use a little artificial sweetener on top, but that could definitely be left out.

I will definitely be making this again since it is very easy to reheat and therefor makes a very easy tasty breakfast - so next time I'll post a picture... Until then here is a picture of the normal danish version ,-)

Lonnie
    this I will try because I think my daughter will eat it. I grew up eating rice with butter and cinn and sugar with a little milk..ahhh the memories.

Everyone talks about ricing califlower.. what does that mean exactly?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    OMG, I never considered making risengrød with cauliflower, but that's really not a bad idea at all!
    How was the taste compared to risengrød (though, that's probably like comparing plumes and pears, lol)

I wonder if you could do the same with ris a la mande... I have got to try that out some day! Those chilly winterdays are approaching and I loooove both risengrød and and ris a la mande. Thanks for the idea!

@athomeontherange cauliflower rice is just grated cauliflower. It gets to look a little like rice. If used as normally cooked rice, you just steam them for a few minutes. Works pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    ris a la mande.
    translation?

On the ricing.. the cauliflower is cooked first right?
    Karin

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Ris a la mande is a danish (I guess, though the name is french) dessert served around Christmas. And no, for this recipe, you don't need to cook the rice first. They will cook in the coconut milk. Originally, it's cooked in dairy milk and not coconut milk.

It's unsalted risengrød (round rice, a little like aborio; regular ones won't do) that gets cooled, mixed with whipped cream, vanilla and chopped almonds. You top it with cherry sauce (and not cinnamon and sugar like with risengrød), and it's GOOD! Tradition in Denmark is to make a big bowl, put in ONE whole almond (blanched and peeled), and the person who gets the almond gets a little present. You may save the almond in you mouth as long as you like, and enjoy seeing the others eating and searching
    Last edited by Bissen; 10-02-2011 at 12:27 PM.

TriGirl is offline Member
    Yes Bissen pretty much said it all - I knew the danish folk would like the idea of this... I am actually nut sure if rice pudding would be the correct translation, but this is more porridge than pudding...

I used a little sweetener sprinkled on top with the cinnamon (you could just as easily add that to the batch if you only have liquid form) and all in all I was really happy with the result. I havn't had risengrød in ages since it makes me sick, but as far as I can remember the texture and taste is not that far off... I am the only danish person that do not like ris ala mande, but I'm pretty sure you could easily make that, and it might be almost better than the original version due to the sweet taste from the coconut milk...

As far as the cauliflower I normally cut it up, heat it for a few minutes in the microwave and then grate it in my food processor.

thank you.. I will pass on the second dish as it has nuts but what a great alternative to the 1st
    Karin

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Oh yum. Being Norwegian, risengryn holds a lot of dear memories!

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    If my granny were serving it, I'd probably eat it, especially because it's rice and not wheat. I'd take the hit for Christmas. That's just me, though.

mm1970 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's a great idea! My mother-in-law is Danish, so we've eaten a lot of that when we go home for the holidays. And my husband likes to make the rice version too. I may have to try that one sometime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast