Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could someone give some advice? page

IrishJJ27 is offline Junior Member

Could someone give some advice?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

I need program advice. I like the simplefit workout, but I feel the PBF LHT workout may be more brief. I also like working out with my homemade and "appropriated" implements.. Bulgarian Bag, Tire, Sledge, etc. And i understand the need for moving at a slow pace. If my goal is maximum definition, and i want to strength train three days a week should i just move slow three to four days per week? Doesnt sound like enough to me, maybe if i could disappear for an hour at a time... Any scheduling advice?

TheFitFatKid is offline Junior Member
    If you're looking for maximum definition, the most important thing is going to be diet. Assuming you're running a caloric deficit, you need to be very finnicky with how you use your calories. If you train too much, your going to have an even harder time losing/keeping off that last bit of fat. I actually put a post up recently about my experience trying to do Crossfit Football while on a cutting diet... it wasn't pretty.

Walk every morning on an empty stomach for 30-45 minutes (or during the day if you can't find time first thing in the morning) and stick with the lifting you're doing. Lift heavy things a few times (low volume, like I said, running at a deficit you need to be careful with how you use those calories,) and focus on huge compound movements. After that, it's all going to depend on how dialed in your nutrition is.

Thanks man,

Im at about 85/15% primal.. I have a couple of beers on the weekend. Thats really about it. So my diet is pretty good, I'm definitely dropping weight. Should I vary the LHT workouts, as in one day a simplefit workout, one day a PB workout and one day a "fight cardio" circuit? Lately I have been doing an every other day method, 1 day strength and anaerobic circuits, the next day a long walk. You're saying I should just walk daily and strength train three times a week?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishJJ27 View Post
    Thanks man,

Im at about 85/15% primal.. I have a couple of beers on the weekend. Thats really about it. So my diet is pretty good, I'm definitely dropping weight. Should I vary the LHT workouts, as in one day a simplefit workout, one day a PB workout and one day a "fight cardio" circuit? Lately I have been doing an every other day method, 1 day strength and anaerobic circuits, the next day a long walk. You're saying I should just walk daily and strength train three times a week?
    Walking isn't strenuous enough to really impact any of your other workouts in a negative way. You can (and should) walk on your lifting days.

What benefit do you hope to gain from varying the LHT workouts? Whatever one you choose, stick with it for a while. The simplefit routine is three days a week for a reason. It builds muscular endurance one day, strength another, and tests your level on the third.

What are you trying to get from the "Fight cardio" session? If you like it, that's fine, but if you are trying to get results from it, what do you want?

Don't forget about the occasional sprint as well- once or twice a week, run 4-8 sprints, in addition to lifting and walking.

I'm trying to gain enough strength to do 20 pullups consecutively, 50 dips, 100 pushups, 100 squats and a 90 second plank. I was doing the fight cardio in place of sprints due to a groin/ lower ab strain that gets aggravated when sprinting. Basically I want to drop to about 180 or 175 pounds with a lot of definition and I want to look good naked. I started this lifestyle about 70 days ago at about 210 and fluffy. I am 5'6" tall. I have no idea what I weigh now, but right now Im wearing a pair of "regular fit" jeans comfortably, that 70 days ago would be like twin tourniquets on my thighs, so something right is going on. I'm basically one of those "more is better" people so I like to train hard every day. Plus, I only really get about 45 minutes to maybe the rare 60 minutes to train daily. I figured a hard brief workout every day is the best way to go. I should elaborate further, Im a father of a 11 month old daughter (awesome) and a police detective with a screwy work schedule. 4 days I work day shift, 4 days I work evening shift so between watching my daughter while my wife goes to work, then working myself things get a little crazy. Thats why i would prefer brevity.

dado Guest
    you gotta squat

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishJJ27 View Post
    I'm trying to gain enough strength to do 20 pullups consecutively, 50 dips, 100 pushups, 100 squats and a 90 second plank. I was doing the fight cardio in place of sprints due to a groin/ lower ab strain that gets aggravated when sprinting. Basically I want to drop to about 180 or 175 pounds with a lot of definition and I want to look good naked. I started this lifestyle about 70 days ago at about 210 and fluffy. I am 5'6" tall. I have no idea what I weigh now, but right now Im wearing a pair of "regular fit" jeans comfortably, that 70 days ago would be like twin tourniquets on my thighs, so something right is going on. I'm basically one of those "more is better" people so I like to train hard every day. Plus, I only really get about 45 minutes to maybe the rare 60 minutes to train daily. I figured a hard brief workout every day is the best way to go. I should elaborate further, Im a father of a 11 month old daughter (awesome) and a police detective with a screwy work schedule. 4 days I work day shift, 4 days I work evening shift so between watching my daughter while my wife goes to work, then working myself things get a little crazy. Thats why i would prefer brevity.
    Are those numbers specific to anything? ie is there some sort of fitness test coming up for you or anything? if so, your best approach is to do those movements constantly.

Based on your aesthetic goals (looking good naked, etc) you could just as easily do two or three hard heavy workouts. Heavy squats, heavy deadlifts, heavy chin ups, heavy dips, etc. Up to three sets, up to 5-8 reps (if you're doing more reps it's not heavy enough), sprint uphill once weekly and eat a primal diet. That's it. Don't do squats and deads same day, that should go without saying.

Daily workouts for me assume two things: one, you're not lifting heavy enough or you shouldn't be able to physically lift back to back (unless splitting body into upper/lower) and two, you're not giving yourself adequate rest, if you feel "fresh" enough to do another workout, then see one again. Physical soreness alone isn't always a good indication of whether you've worked hard or need to rest more.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Great advice in this thread. Diet is the dominant factor by far, but you knew that.

It took me a long time to break the habit of daily workouts. When I switched to 3 days a week of very heavy lifting, walking on the other days, I broke through my fitness plateaus almost instantly. I don't do cardio anymore, other than incidental toddler-related sprints (which you will learn about very soon, IrishJJ27, if you haven't already).

Walking is great, especially while holding the baby. Babies love morning walks, and your wife will thank you, so it's a win-win-win.

If you want more activity, try using your sledge in the mornings for traction on the muscle groups you recently worked out. Keep it gentle and try not to break a sweat much. Stretch into your swings and listen for the little pops and noises that tell you you're doing it right.

luvasteak is offline Junior Member
    On the days you do weights, is it better to walk first or do weights first?? I'm guessing the walking would be a good warm up for the weights?

dado Guest
    yes, this is good warmup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast