Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Lean without counting calories....is it possible? page

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member

Getting Lean without counting calories....is it possible?

Shop Now
    Hi all, I follow a PB life style most of the time and have lost weight as a result. I'm currently about 12% bodyfat but would like to drop to single-digit bodyfat (8% would be good). In order to get to that level of leanness, do I need to count calories or will single-digit bodyfat "just happen" if I contine the PB lifestyle?

DS

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Well 12% is pretty damn lean and 8% will be REALLY lean. I'd love to be 12%!!!

I noticed you said you follow PB "most" of the time. The closer you get to lower body fat targets, the harder they will be to attain. To get to your desired level, it will probably take perfection in everything (sleep, food, supplementation, workout frequency/intensity, etc.), and YES, you will most likely need to restrict calories by some measureable amount. And because of the precision that it will require, YES, you will most likely be successful using a weighed and measured approach.

Expect your performance to drop off both as a result of the calorie restriction and the further reduction of body fat...even though you will be at the upper end of "essential" body fat (assuming you're a man), that does not mean it will be optimal?

The real question I guess is "why" do you want to be 8%? What is the significance of that number? Is it simply an arbitrary drive to be at single-digit BF%, or is there some athletic and functional reason why want to be 8% BF?
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 10-02-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Sure - just eat not-so-much and keep track of your body. Make sure to do strength training as not to lose too much muscle.

humpbackwhale is offline Junior Member
    Try only eating fruit when it's in season and consuming 2 Tbsp of coconut oil before every meal.

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member
    I've already lost 15lbs by living most primal but I've still got remnants of luv-handles :-)
    I reckon I've still got 4-5 lbs to go before I'd describe myself as being lean......

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    I went from 8% BF to 6.5% BF going Paleo, no calorie counting. The question is: has your weight loss stalled? If not, keep doing what you're doing

nuraan is offline Senior Member
    @humpbackwhale ... does the 2Tbsp coconut oil before every meal really help with fat loss ... i'm struggling to lose my last 6kg (13.2lbs) over the last year i lost 20kg (44lbs) and got leaner since following PB but the last few have been an uphill battle. I eat some greek yoghurt and decided to cut it out as well as nuts starting today to see if it helps but am keen to try anything else that is PB friendly as well.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStew View Post
    Hi all, I follow a PB life style most of the time and have lost weight as a result. I'm currently about 12% bodyfat but would like to drop to single-digit bodyfat (8% would be good). In order to get to that level of leanness, do I need to count calories or will single-digit bodyfat "just happen" if I contine the PB lifestyle?
    Counting calories is superstitious. Try lifting some heavy ass weights.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's a good idea to know whether you are under or over eating, so you might consider just adding in fasting if you don't want to count calories. or just lifting heavier, which always makes a difference.

also, just bask in your own awesomeness. it does a lot for the body's sense of itself. i find i'm leaner the more i complement my body's ability to be awesome.

dado Guest
    i'm not lean, but i do not get very fat because i fast once a week, and other days i drink a lot of milk because i am lifting and want to get swole so i can exert my will on those around me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast