Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot gain weight with PB page

William is offline Junior Member

In my younger days I managed hold my weight at 182lbs whilst playing football; However, being a naturally slight build it took a lot of effort with heavy weights, huge amounts of food (pasta plus gallon of milk etc).

In the last 15 years, I have been competing continually in endurance based events with much of the training being of the chronic cardio type.

In the last 2 years, I have adopted a primal diet but continued with the chronic cardio training. Prior to adopting the primal diet I raced at 154lb, on the primal diet I dropped to 144lb and my performances improved significantly. However, at this point, many people commented that I was way too thin and looked ill.

I have now ditched the chronic cardio in the last 6 weeks and adopted the PB life style with an emphasis on gaining some muscle. However, I have only manged to gain 2lbs in that time. I am still way below my chronic cardio plus high carb racing weight.

At the moment, I am lifting 3 times per week.

Squat * 4

Deadlift * 1

Pulls ups * 4

Bench * 4

Military press * 4

Sprinting 3 times per week

20 minutes very easy on bike with 6 * 30 seconds flat out killer sprints.

Should I drop one of the sprints, Maybe these are using up to many calories?

My daily diet is as roughly follows:

4 scrambled eggs in olive oil, spinach, broccoli

pear with 25 grams almonds

pot cottage cheese* with 50 grams almonds

1 chicken portion and apple

50 grams almonds plus tinned mackerel in olive oil*

2 salmon fillets broccoli and spinach

2 scrambled eggs eggs plus avacado

* non primal compromises

This is proving to be quite an expensive diet. How can increase the calories with in the PB context without too much additional expense. Should I add a few sweet potatoes to add some carbs? Any advice greatly appreciated.

zentofitness Guest

I would try being less structured with your meals and eating when your hungry but to fill and in accordance with the PB.

What I mean is try making a big dinner have a huge salad with a nice healthy dressing plus loads of nuts and seeds and some cheese. then for main course have a good chunk of Grassfed Beef or Salmon with a side of Broccoli and other vegetables with some butter, olive oil and sea salt on top. Don't be afraid to eat big portions especially for dinner this will help you gain weight and especially muscle.

Otherwise your diet looks great, just eat larget portions, if this means eating less often then so be it. Also try a meal of Sweet Potato and Chicken post workout along with some good fat on the Sweet Potato like almond butter or high quality butter.

rcloutier04 Guest

I agree, structured eating plans are for the CW! I personally used to be SUPER strict, eating 6 meals a day at the same time. If I skipped a meal I would get all angry and upset lol. Now I just upped my meal sizes, and eat only when I am hungry. A lot of the time I would eat even if I wasn't hungry just because it was time to eat. Now I don't really care when or how much I eat. I am in the same boat as you dude, except, I am not a chronic cardio kinda guy. I am 5'11" and 146 pounds, 5% body fat. I have cut cardio down to 2 days a week of sprints, and feel great. I am really looking forward to see if I can put on some muscle from now until summer. Many people will tell you if you don't eat 6 meals a day your metabolism is going to slow down, your going to retain body fat, and all that BS! Just look at Mark, he doesn't eat structured 6 meals a day, he eats when he is hungry, if hes not, he skips a meal. Personally, I like to eat a HUGE breakfast over 1k cals, this will keep me satisfied til atleast noonish, then I eat a salad typical of marks, with lots of veggies, chicken, nuts/seeds, and a nice homemade raspberry vinegrette. Dinner is pretty typical of PB, Meat/Fish, nuts/seeds, Veggies cooked in coconut oil.

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

What you're doing is working well! At this rate you will gain 16-20 lbs of muscle the first year. I think anybody would take that. Gaining weight the right way takes time. Be patient, you're doing great and will be thrilled with the results months and years down the road.

How tall are you? If people are saying you look ill because you're too thin, maybe you are. Maybe not. Even if you put on 30 lbs of muscle, if your bodyfat % remains the same your face isn't going to change. I'm only guessing that it's your face people are looking at when they say you're too thin? Don't be afraid of eating a lot. I don't know the exact portions of what you listed but it looks like the calories are pretty light. Eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not. Good luck!

Vick is offline Senior Member

The most efficient way to build muscle mass is to lift the heaviest weight possible at the highest contracted position until failure occurs. Failure should occur within a period of 1 - 5 seconds. This exercise with cause progressive recruitment of the slow, intermediate, and fast twitch muscles and then failure.

This causes micro trauma to occur within the muscles. The muscles now need time to heal and repair the damage. The body then responds to failure as a survival technique, and more muscle will grow if allowed to rest and given the chance. For 80% of the population 7 days rest is sufficient.

Each week you increase the weight. If you can't lift more... you returned too soon.

The greater the intensity the longer the time required to heal and grow.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Sorry to say this, and I know many here hate me for giving this advice many times, but if you want to get the best performance out of your work outs, and you don't need to lose any weight, eat some carbs. 150 grams is still maintenance!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Vick is offline Senior Member

Raphael when it is pretty much a given that protein is required to build and repair muscle why would you suggest carbs?

What science have I missed? I&#39;d be interested in reading the study.

GotPrimal Guest

Vick,

You haven&#39;t missed any science.

Carbs are non-essential for muscle growth. Fat/protein are the building blocks of the cellular framework.

Ralphael is going off his study of 1 (himself) with his constant recommendation of carbs. No science.

Will,

The one thing to remember about the PB way of living, it is about getting down/up to your genetically determined, functional fitness weight. And being healthy. Remember, fitness and health are VERY different.

2lbs of Lean mass in 6 weeks? I wouldn&#39;t complain about that honestly...

If your overall goal is to pack on extra weight, outside of what your genes are determining for, the PB way isn&#39;t necessarily the best way to do it...

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Carbs are essential for intense work outs 6 times a week like he&#39;s doing. You still have to prove me otherwise.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Raphael, I&#39;ve been proving it to myself for months. I workout more intensely than almost anybody. Have been gaining muscle and improving in everything from sprints to heavy lifts to long endurance activities...all without carbs. Many of us have mentioned this many times in the past...what other proof sources are you looking for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast