Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter barefoot runners page 2

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    hence the suggestion of the sealskinz socks under the water shoes. that was what someone told me to try. they're waterproof/breathable (although i've never worn a DWR membrane so close to my skin so i don't know what the condensation will be like functionally). i think i might have a winter of that setup as a to-and-fro option and some indoor shoes.
    Good-quality wool and/or synthetic socks will keep your feet warm even when wet, especially if you're running and your metabolism is cooking along. I've come in from many a slushy run w/shoes and socks soaked but feet not cold (until I stopped running...!). You just want to make sure that if you routinely do a cooldown walk after your run, that you keep it fairly short as your feet will get chilled once you slow down.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Price-wise, you can't go wrong with these: Amazon.com: TMAS Feiyue Martial Arts Shoes: Sports & Outdoors

I wear them constantly but have not had them in winter yet. I plan on using them in winter of course, but the cloth if you're stepping in deep snow or whatever is obviously going to get wet.
    I was bored, so made this video last night as a lot of these threads are coming up. Mostly though, because I was bored. I don't mention this in the video, but you can wear either one of these with socks, but I don't, even in the cold I just deal with it. After a warm up my feet just don't really feel cold.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
    Good-quality wool and/or synthetic socks will keep your feet warm even when wet, especially if you're running and your metabolism is cooking along. I've come in from many a slushy run w/shoes and socks soaked but feet not cold (until I stopped running...!). You just want to make sure that if you routinely do a cooldown walk after your run, that you keep it fairly short as your feet will get chilled once you slow down.
    yes, i think it's THAT particular moment that the threat originator and I have been concerned about.... my feet will wear just about anything and nothing while running in any weather, but getting to work and then sitting in meetings? different ball game. no wet feet for me, thank you, and no matter how warm when wet my fancy merino has been, it's not warm enough when it's wet and you're just hanging out listening to yet another blathering lecture or seminar.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    yes, i think it's THAT particular moment that the threat originator and I have been concerned about.... my feet will wear just about anything and nothing while running in any weather, but getting to work and then sitting in meetings? different ball game. no wet feet for me, thank you, and no matter how warm when wet my fancy merino has been, it's not warm enough when it's wet and you're just hanging out listening to yet another blathering lecture or seminar.
    Can you bring an extra pair of socks to work/school/wherever? Years ago I used to ride my bike to summer sessions w/my books in a backpack. The first time I did this, I had a huge sweat-soaked spot on the back of my shirt where the pack was and I was certain I was going to catch pneumonia from being so cold and wet in the air conditioned lecture hall--even resorted to trying to warm up w/the hot-air hand dryer during break! Anyway, I learned my lesson and started bringing an extra shirt to change into once I had arrived there. Worked great!

My feeling about "waterproof" things is that you just get wet from the inside rather than the outside, since sweat/water vapor is trapped inside due to the waterproofing. Guess it's a personal choice regarding which you find less uncomfortable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12