Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs? page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Eggs?

Shop Now
    So what are the best eggs you can buy? I usually get the "golden yolks" omega-3 eggs from TJ's. They're not organic or free-range--I did buy the organic, free-range ones once, but the yolks were so pale, and I was always under the impression that the darker, the better. So since I haven't been able to find a local source of fresh eggs, what would be my best choice? Are the dark ones better despite not being organic and all that, or is the organic better even though the yolks are pale and seem to have less flavor?

Thanks.

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    I get eggs from a local farmer that I know. I can see the chickens running around in the pasture and I know what they are fed. Those are the best eggs in my opinion.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

rayout is offline Senior Member
    "Organic" typically means the chickens were raised on certified organic feed. It doesn't speak to their living conditions. Same with the Omega 3 eggs. This could mean that the chickens were fed an omega-3 enriched feed. I would stick with the darkest yolks you can find.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Free range only means the chickens had "access to the outdoors". That can mean one tiny door to one tiny yard for a whole huge barn full of chickens. Unless you can find a reliable source of pastured eggs that you can trust to actually raise their chickens properly, a free-range egg can be pretty much anything they want to call free range.

If you can't get good, local eggs, then I'd go with the darker yolks. Organic feed can mean organic soy and grain. O3 eggs are from chickens that get fed flax, generally, to up the O3 content of the egg. Not as good as a real pastured egg, but probably an ok bet given your options. I wouldn't give up the search for good local eggs, but I'd make do with the darker yolk type in the meantime.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    You need to look harder for the local "egg lady." Hard to believe there aren't any in Scottsdale. Check the local farmers markets. Until then, I would not spend alot of time figuring out which grocery store eggs to buy.
    Last edited by Scotty; 10-02-2011 at 06:22 AM.

humpbackwhale is offline Junior Member
    As others have pointed out, you want to find someone local who actually pasture raises their chickens. Chickens should be eating insects and if they are coming from a large farm (TJs, WFs, name any other large brand), no matter what it says on the label about them being cage free, they are most likely not pasture raised and very likely factory farmed and grain fed. This list is far from comprehensive but it can help in a pinch.

The Cornucopia Institute

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdovers View Post
    I get eggs from a local farmer that I know. I can see the chickens running around in the pasture and I know what they are fed. Those are the best eggs in my opinion.
    I do this too. Happy chickens = happy eggs!!! And the chickens she sells are amazing tasting too.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdovers View Post
    I do this too. Happy chickens = happy eggs!!! And the chickens she sells are amazing tasting too.

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    The best thing you can do is pick out a bunch of different cartons at the store, and crack them open and do a yolk-color comparison. That tells you everything you need to know about whether those guys are eating their share of bugs and worms. Start with the DHA enriched eggs -- in my experience, those are the darkest of the non-pastured. Obviously, if the carton says "pastured," that's your best bet to start with, too.

I go to Whole Foods for mine ("pastured"), and the yolks are orange.

I did try some so-called pastured eggs that I picked up from the farmer's market, after talking to the lady and her showing me photos of the chickens running around outside. When I got home and opened them up, the color was lame: go figure.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    What are the benefits of buying more expensive eggs? If its omega 3 content it would be much cheaper to supplement with fish oil pills, would it not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast