Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Space, Little Equipment page

Bam_Bam's_Mom is offline Junior Member

Little Space, Little Equipment

Hi all! I'm relatively new to going primal. I "went primal" about 5 weeks ago and am loving it so far. I haven't tackled the fitness portions yet, but I am starting to want to get out there and become stronger and more fit.
    I am a relatively new mom - my son is 13 months old. I am fairly close to my pre-pregnancy weight (have about 5 pounds to go), but what I'm noticing more is that I've lost a lot of my muscle tone from not being very active during my pregnancy (I was tired and had a lot of heartburn!). And since having my son, well, it's been really hard to find even 30 minutes to leave the house to run or do any exercise. I am an avid runner (I like half marathons for enjoyment, no time goals...I am not fast - haha) but I have not run very much at all in the last year, and my body has definitely lost some of my "runner's tone". I know that the PB plan is not heavy on running like I am used to for fitness (cardio, cardio was my plan, trying to change that here!) - and frankly, that is refreshing because I don't have the time to get out and run, or even get to a gym.
    So, what I was wondering is:
    what is a good plan for me to do at home, without a lot of time - I will have literally about 30 minutes tops at night to attack a workout - somewhere between putting my son to bed (so I need quiet-ish activities! haha) and getting dinner ready for when my husband comes home is when I plan on working out.
    I live in an apartment, so I don't have a huge amount of space, and I have very little equipment: a 4 lb sand ball, a set of fairly good resistance bands, an exercise ball, and a yoga mat. I also live on the third floor so a lot of constant pounding and bouncing is out so I don't piss off my very nice downstairs neighbor too much.
    Anyone have any suggestions of exercises to attack with the equipment I mentioned? Or a good website, etc....?

Thank you!

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Did you download the fitness guide from this website? All bodyweight stuff except you may need to buy a door mountable pull up bar.

Only other thing might be shovelglove: Shovelglove: The Sledgehammer Workout

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Download the Primal blueprint fitness ebook - it's free!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12643.html

This is a great plan, it will take you from pretty much anywhere to most places, and can be done in around 25 mins. You don't need much space, in fact little more than the room it takes to do a press up. I have a sturdy coffee table I use for the overhead presses, and when I am somewhere that I can't do pull ups/chin ups I do dips off a chair. Make sure to watch the videos, they really helped me. Good Luck!!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we have the perfect pull up, which is great for one of the big 5 from PBF. definintely doable in your 30 mins.

Bam_Bam's_Mom is offline Junior Member

Thank you - Follow Up Question

I downloaded the PBF - don't know how I could have missed that - DUH! I am going to do the self assessment (which I know will be sooo sad and pathetic).
    Any other recommended equipment? I like the perfect pull up bar idea - I have no way in my apt to do pull ups now. I see a lot of people talking about kettle bells....? Just stick with what I've got for now and try not to get too fancy?
    Thoughts?

Thanks!

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I just got a kettlebell myself. You can really work yourself into a good sweat in 20 minutes according to the videos I have been checking out.
    I keep picking it up and trying swings and other basic moves as I am working around the house today.
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    We have an over the door pull up bar, there are plenty of variations on those around I'm sure. Our household are short enough to walk under it, so we leave it up all the time, once in a while we grind out a couple of pull ups when passing by. I'd like to say that we pump out half a dozen every time we go through the door but that just ain't true

When I'm at work on night shifts and don't have a pull up bar, I substitute with dips - In-Home Triceps Exercises : How to Do Chair Dip Triceps Exercises - YouTube - as many as I can manage in each set.

Don't be disillusioned with your test results, the progressions are are really motivating, just start where Mark suggests to start and keep at it. I use google docs to keep track of what I'm doing and how I'm going.

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam_Bam's_Mom View Post
    So, what I was wondering is:
    what is a good plan for me to do at home, without a lot of time - I will have literally about 30 minutes tops at night to attack a workout - somewhere between putting my son to bed (so I need quiet-ish activities! haha) and getting dinner ready for when my husband comes home is when I plan on working out.
    I live in an apartment, so I don't have a huge amount of space, and I have very little equipment: a 4 lb sand ball, a set of fairly good resistance bands, an exercise ball, and a yoga mat. I also live on the third floor so a lot of constant pounding and bouncing is out so I don't piss off my very nice downstairs neighbor too much.
    Anyone have any suggestions of exercises to attack with the equipment I mentioned? Or a good website, etc....?
    I would say get a copy of You Are Your Own Gym (due to my own success with it).

No equipment or gym fees required.

stewie97 is offline Member
    if you have a pull-up bar a lot of people have had good luck with simple fit

bodyweight exercises, bodyweight workout

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv ; look at the workout archives and there are oodles of routines that are zero-equipment (or just use a heavy backpack).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast