Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Primal Journal: Phreebie rocks the Grok PB page 8

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Well after that last post, I've been somewhat remiss about my journaling. I have taken a week of leave from work, which has been nice. I've been 'mostly' keeping to 80% on the food front, and 'mostly' keeping to my exercise schedule. The other week my parents came to stay with us, and I skipped a day of scheduled exercise, and drank a bunch of beer with my old man. One other day, I skipped the horizontal pull ups, because I was at work and couldn't find a suitable bar during my lunch break. I did look. I didn't do them when I got home either, but I did them the following day, which was scheduled as a rest day, so I'm not too harsh on myself for that one. I've skipped quite a few more of the flexibility drills though. The skipping seemed to turn up when I started adding in a bunch of extra drills.

I think I need to stick to just the trifecta, and add in the others only occasionally. The last couple of weeks I've added in sprints (running) on a Friday. As the weather starts to get worse, I'm thinking about doing jumping jacks for sprints. Those bastards can really leave a person out of breath when done hard out.

I've made some pretty good primal recipes lately, and did an awesome lamb curry in the slow cooker, and when it was finished, I threw beef heart and some bones straight in there to make a yummy bone broth. I've also been eating a bit of ice cream and the occasional chocolate, as well as finishing off what was left of the beer after my parents left.

We went to Auckland to see Roger Waters perform 'The Wall' and it was spectacular! Mixed bag as far as food choices went. Even ate some bread.

I've never really gone in for that whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' schtick, as most times I've ever heard it, it has been used as an excuse by failing CW dieters, who do the chronic cardio thing and their bodies are desperately piling on the fat. From a long ago diet that I did, that actually worked for six months or so, I weigh myself every day, disregarding the actual number, but making a mental note of the trend. For a long time, the trend was a steady plateau, and lately it has begun to rise.

The skin fold calipers indicate that the increase is due to lean mass, and that fat mass is continuing to reduce. I'm not sure that the mirror agrees with that assessment.

So I've gone up a progression level on many of my exercises, and key indicators show that everything is on track. I'm enjoying myself when I socialize, yet still something just doesn't feel quite right.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi ya Phreebie

How's it going? That last comment is just begging for some clarification! What is it that doesn't feel right?
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Hey Jac, it's great to see you back!

That's the thing, about the clarification. I'm not sure what it is that doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm just feeling that I haven't done some of the things I had planned to do during my holiday - most of them were weather dependent anyway. Maybe I'm just ready to go back to work? Maybe I don't want to go back to work at all (LOL).

Maybe it's that I feel that I could be making progress faster if I was much stricter. I was rationalising that I am actually making progress.

I can't put my finger on it. Although I just realised that I have been forgetting to take my D supps, so I've downed a couple just now.

It could be that the novelty of all of this diet and exercise is wearing off and now it is down to routine & discipline (scary). It might have just been that the scale the other day was well out of whack with the recent trend, and I think that was mostly due to water weight from the couple of days in Auckland, back to normal now.

I had found a while back that the author of the exercise regime I'm following had mad a slight tweak to some of the programming, and so this week I have switched over to the new scheduling. It drops the last two (more complex) moves out and substitutes them with a rotation of the other four moves, until you get to a higher progression level on the first four, and then the last two can be added back in.

I have also come to terms with the idea that my progress with the horizontal pull ups are going to be slower than anything else I have done. This seems like a common issue for a lot of people.

I need to go back and have my iron retested - maybe it's that. I still need to find a way to kick this ridiculous diet coke habit.

Occasionally I just simply find myself in a funk for a few days. I seem to be climbing out of it again now.

Onward.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Jac
    Good to hear! I guess the exercise guy must have realized that there were some issues with those 2 moves when he decided to tweak them.

I always get mood changes for a few days after I've had alcohol. I don't know if it's that I'm sensitive to it so it hangs around for a while in my system, or if I'm just not used to it - either way, it takes days before I come back to my usual self.

Have you been off work for our whole pitiful summer? That's a looooong break!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

I was only off for the week, given my roster it worked out to 10 days total (4 on 4 off 12 hour days & nights). I worked last night, finished this morning at 8am and go back tomorrow at 8am. I've taken a nap, cleaned out the chicken coop and turned over a compost bin. The rain interrupted me as it is belting down, so I came inside, put a stew the slow cooker for dinner, using the stock I made the other week, and did my workout. Today I made the progression standard for my level of pushups and leg raises. Yay me! I'm not going to level them up yet though. I will keep banking it until 20 March, when I am satisfied that it is repeatable. Then I'll step it up.

Still haven't been in for my blood test. Friday is the day. It's my next day off work, need a haircut too. Work has sponsored all employees to get a mole map done, and they are coming to the site to do it, so I'm booked in for tomorrow. It's not like I've had much chance to get sunburned this summer! It is definitely starting to get cooler in the mornings now too.

This week I found out that a manager in another work group on the same shift as me is leaving for Australia. He was very experienced and quite practical, and was a good friend and mentor to me. It's a big move for him and I will miss him. He definitely helped me keep some aspects of the job in perspective. He was also good to go motorcycling with while the rest of the world was at work.

Tomorrow I will have been primal for 8 months, sure I've had the odd piece of garlic bread, half a fruit muffin, alcohol and breaded meat from time to time, but I certainly have never been at the point of thinking about going back to CW eating again.

Grok on!
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Worked a night shift last night/this morning. Got home at 8a had a quick nap and awake again at 0930 to go to a tangi at the marae. The funeral was for a guy that I worked with who had a freak accident leaving the 19th hole at the golf club. Luckily I arrived at the same time as another guy I work with who guided me through all of the correct protocols.

After DW got home from work we took the dawg for a walk around the neighbourhood for an hour or so.

So after 27 hours, and working on 1.5 hours sleep I decided I couldn't skip another workout and did pushups & leg raises to the progression standard at level 3. I was originally planning on staying at this level until 20 March, but I think it is time to level them up now, since I'm not getting much more out of them. My warmups are the progression standard for level 2, so I think I'm doing ok on that front.

Shepherd's pie for dinner soon, then a little tv and I'm sure I won't have any trouble sleeping tonight. Two more day shifts to go. Yay.

The mole map came back clear, although I did fib a little about how much sun exposure I generally tend to enjoy.

Not much else to report.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

I just dropped off 4 pairs of jeans at a seamstress, to get 3 inches taken off the waist. Cranking them in with a belt was getting beyond a joke. I might have to punch an extra hole in the belt I got 6 months ago too.

I'm still sticking to the exercise regime, although the flexibility work has fallen by the wayside.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Well, it's been a while between updates. A few days after thinking I had the healthy lifestyle all dialled in WHAM! I got nailed with a change of season cold. It seems like it was pretty rough one doing the rounds this year, and while I felt like crap for a few days (luckily I didn't have to go to work) I got over it pretty quick.

I had been following with interest the thread about "where's all this energy I keep reading about". Like many of the contributors, I hadn't noticed it. I seem to need to be wired up on caffeine drinks all the time just to function - I still haven't kicked the diet coke.

I started taking Vit D3 supps, with increased doses when on night shift, without much success. I started taking zinc tabs as well, which seemed to help with the acne for a short while. Who the hell has acne problems at 42 ffs? Then I started reading about iodine, but as for taking more supps - DO NOT WANT! I do actually prefer to get my minerals etc from food and if it wasn't for the price availability of bluff oysters, I wouldn't be taking the zinc.

So I got a packet of nori sheets from the market and I tear up a couple of strips and put them in with my vegetables when I nuke them. I had only been doing this for a few days when - OH MY GOD - THE ENERGY!!! Where was it all coming from? I figured that like an age old tv commercial from here (that unfortunately I can't find online) - "The answer's in the seaweed son."

This was fantastic, finally the energy I was searching for. I'd cracked it. 2 days later I was hit by the dreaded lurgy, and haven't felt that level of energy since. I'm beginning to wonder if the energy spike wasn't just all of my antibodies kicking into high gear.

Never mind, I'm sticking with the supps and the seaweed in the meantime.

With a few things going on and some lame ass excuses, I haven't done a lot in the way of exercise in the last month or so. I took a deliberate week of rest, then had a week of exercise, then another week off for my birthday (told you it was a lame excuse) worked for another week and then got sick.

I've gotten back into it since Sunday, dropped it back a notch and am now back to where I was when I left off. Going back over the logs just before my hiatus I notice that I had been pushing it a little hard in the last couple of weeks, and possibly leveled up a little too fast. There's a lesson in that I'm sure. I'm also going to tweak my pattern of work rest days to better fit in with my shifts, now that they're getting a little harder. At the beginning levels it was easy to find an empty office at work and bust out a few reps while nobody was looking, now that's getting a bit more difficult. Anyway we'll see how it goes. Just finished pushups and leg lifts for today.

Soon a shower and shave, then off out for dinner.

Despite the birthday revelries and the training hiatus, the taken in jeans still fit like a charm.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Jac
    Haha, you're the maxi crop man
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, just when you think you have life and the universe all sorted out BAM! Something blindsides you. It's been a rough few months around here, journalling and internet activities fell by the wayside a bit. Dad's prostate cancer made a reappearance and he had to go and get radiation treatment, which meant him and Mum had to live away from home for 6 weeks, as the services are centralised. The treatment is over now and we have to wait for everything to settle back down before Dad can go for more tests to see if they got it this time. The Cancer Society lodge is a wonderful facility!

Throughout all of this I have stayed reasonably on track with my diet, but probably more 70/30 than 80/20.

I tried IF for a while, but found that it was severely limiting my workouts. I was finding that without breakfast I had no energy or motivation to workout, then after lunch, by the time I had digested my meal, the day had moved on without getting the workout in. I'm back to having a light breakfast in the morning and then working out a little later on. Progress has been slow, but it has been progress nonetheless.

Jeans continue to get looser, and now that the workouts are back on track, muscle tone is recovering. I just need to get rid of the last of this belly fat.
    Last edited by phreebie; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678