Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: Phreebie rocks the Grok PB page 7

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Today was my changeover day, and it is often a struggle. After getting home from a 12 hour night shift around 0830, I go to bed. I usually don't sleep much past 12 or 1230 since tomorrow I have a 12 hour shift starting at 0800 and I need to be able to get some sleep tonight.

Sometimes on my changeover day, after I wake up I can get grumpy.

Woke up, did my stretching routine with the planks and now the flat knee raises to address the hip clickiness. Meditated (lying down), Showered, hung out for a bit and then went to karate class. On the way home from karate class we stopped off at the market. Tired, and a little scratchy. On the good side of the ledger I got greenshell mussels and pigs kidney and sheep liver & sheep hearts.

Of course I decided tonight might be a good night to get some beer too, especially since I won't get to go out for tea on Friday night and have my usual social ale. Once upon a time buying beer would mean a 15 pack or so of small bottles, and half of it would be gone in a night. Recently I've dropped back to occasionally a dozen or a six pack. Tonight I really wanted beer.

I bought a single 650 ml bottle (2.6standard drinks). That will be my beer consumption for the night, and indeed the whole week. I'll need to resist on Sat/sun/mon when I'm off work, and I'm sure I can.

We got ice cream too, but I'm ok with that. The other thing about my change over day is that I don't end up eating very much all day, so the ice cream is fine in my book.

Yes, I was pretty cranky by the time we got home from the market. Ooops.

Anyway, pork chops, eggs and crackling for dinner now.

Tomorrow is straight bridges and crow stands
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Rostered days off went by quickly, the weather has been terrible, what happened to summer downunder? Yesterday we had the dojo picnic, and I find it pretty easy to stay primal at a typical kiwi BBQ. I didn't get to prepare the offal I bought the other day, so the chickens scored on it - they loved it. The dog doesn't seem too interested in it unless it's cooked. I've been checking out some homemade dog food recipes and the advice on MDA, thinking of changing him over. Will probably look at 80/20 for that too.

I've been keeping up with the strength & flexibility work, will post a bulk training log update below.

I don't know what it was, but even after my changeover day I remained cranky with work over the two day shifts. Ok I do know what it was, and mostly it was other people. I have found that lately, since I cleaned up my diet, got dialed in with my fitness, and martial arts training, I have become markedly more positive. This is even borne out by my new philosophy I posted about earlier, summarised in my sig. The weird thing is that I find when I take a positive or encouraging viewpoint at work, most of those around me instantly think that I am being sarcastic and so my positivity seems to backfire. I realise that I have a long history of cynicism to overcome, and while I remain highly skeptical of the motives of some people I do accept that even though I have no input to the plan, it is up to me and my crew to achieve it.

I will just have to keep working on it, eventually people will have to accept that I have changed gears and am serious about going places.

Training log:

15-01 - Dojo Picnic

Pushups - warm - wall 10/10/10 - work - incline 30/30/30
    Leg raise - warm - Knee tucks 10/10/10 - work - Flat knee raise 30/30/30

Dynamic stretches level 2 - 30 sec
    Meditation 10 min
    Plank 60 sec
    flat knee raise x 10

14-01
    Meditation 10 min
    Plank 60 sec
    flat knee raise x 10

Karate & Aikdo - Green Belt Woohoo!

13-01
    Rest Day - complete rest - rough day at work..

12-01

Bridges - warm -0 - work - straight bridges 20/20
    HSPU - warm 0 - work - crow stand - 30 sec

Meditation 10 min
    Plank 60 sec
    flat knee raise x 10
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Another work week finished. The workouts have been going pretty well, the food has been ok, and this week for two days in a row I saw a new low on the scale. Of course I went and ruined that on Friday night, and was back up again this morning, but never mind, I'm sure I'll dip back down again.

Lately I've been noticing that the big belly out front has turned into more of a pouch, and I am starting to see/feel the beginnings of obliques. Woohoo! I'll give it another week or so, by which time I think I will have locked in that sub 80kg weight, and will take some more pics and measurements. The belt I bought in July after losing the initial wheat bloat is about ready to have a new hole punched in it. After threatening to bust out of my 36 in jeans, the 32s I got in October are starting to feel loose.

Along with the daily trifecta twists, I have now started to do additional vertical pulls and wall press ups. I do the first set using both arms and then do another set with my right arm, and a set of more reps with my left arm. The idea is to work on balancing out the size differential between my arms, without over-training. I need to be very conscious of the CC philosophy of taking it low and slow in order to maintain the momentum. It is the regular work that is bringing the results, and the rest time that's allowing the growth.

If tomorrow treats us to some actual summer weather I will ride my motorcycle, since I don't have any scheduled tasks/appointments for the day (other than a workout of course).

I've been skipping the meditation sessions lately, and I need to get back to them.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

It's been an interesting couple of days. Yesterday I got in my motorcycle ride that I have been jonesing for for at least two months. Yay! Then karate class which went well, and then when I got home from that, there was a message from the navy wanting to talk to me about going back and doing some work for them. I'm keen to go in for a chat, if only because the last time they saw me I was in 40 inch pants, and now I'm down to 32 . I made an appointment for next week. I'm not sure where it will lead but I'll give them the time of day.
    Last edited by phreebie; 01-26-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Changeover day today, and yesterday was the end of the workout week, so straight bridges and crow stands. That went well. I think I'm on track to level up to the next progressions by Feb 14. One thing I found out over at the dragon door forums that I had been curious about, but not seen in the book, is that my rest time between sets was probably too low.

I like the idea that this program is quick, and with the earlier progressions being relatively easy I didn't want to get the 'itis so my rest between sets was 30 secs to a min. turns out I should be looking at 3-5 mins.

Food is doing really well. Going out for dinner tonight with the harem, will probably have a couple of beers. Early start in the morning, working all weekend.

Is it just me, or are the main forums here getting even nuttier than usual?
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

So yesterday at work was hectic as all get out, and to compound the issue I had trouble sleeping the night before. Food was 100% paleo and exercise schedule was for a rest day. Had a big conversation with my relief before leaving work and then had to go find gas, so it was around 8:45 pm by the time I got home and started on dinner. So a day of total rest, with not even the trifecta stretches.

Today I went through the day at work with a sense of relief that it was my second rest day, and I just needed to do the calf raises and the trifecta. I did the calf raises at work while I was waiting for my lunch to heat. Hit the level progression target too. When I got home and filled out my training log, I saw that yesterday was my second day of rest, and somehow I had missed a day.

I was feeling so dog tired even to the point of considering skipping my trifecta stretches when I got home. So naturally I did what is starting to become a habit.

I got changed out of my work clothes and I got to working out. Push ups & leg lifts today at level 2. I did 5 more reps per set on the warm up sets than I did last week, and hit the hit progression standard (which I hit last week as well) and then added 5 reps to the last set. I'll repeat that next week to ensure I've mastered it and then it's progress time.

After dinner of grilled pork chop and veg I did the trifecta at level 3, they all need a bit of work, but level 2 has gotten too easy. Given that today was pushup and leg lift day, I skipped the planks, knee raises and wall pushups that I've been adding to the trifecta.

Since I skipped all of that I made sure to get my 10 min meditation in.

Progress has been good. I still have a bit of belly, but the love handles are mostly gone now. I'm certainly finding it easier to move around at work and at martial arts classes.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

I'm feeling stronger, and the mirror seems to be showing results, but the scale is mocking me, the tape measure is mildly encouraging, and the fat caliper is indifferent. The exercise is coming along well and the trifecta stretches are moving up to the next level. The straight bridges have become ridiculously easy, and I'm struggling somewhat with the angle bridges, I will have to try a gentler angle and work it up (or down - depending on your POV). The N hold I'm doing from push up bars. Throwing in the daily knee tucks has greatly helped with the clicking in my hips, the clicking is quieter, goes away sooner and is not uncomfortable anymore.

While I'm down on the floor for the knee tucks I'm thinking I should also add in the hollow body progression: Hollow Body Progression Pt.1 | Gymnastics WOD This should help me to connect the upper & lower body better in martial arts movement. The downside of this is that my nice short workouts are getting ever longer.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreebie View Post
    Is it just me, or are the main forums here getting even nuttier than usual?
    Oh, it's not just you. Some very strange ducklings have come out to play. I avoid a lot of threads.

The scale mocked me a lot last August and October, but the tape measure remained my friend. Not a fantastic friend, mind you, but it threw me a quarter-inch bone here and there, and that was what I needed. Sounds like your exercises are going wonderfully!

Howdy Gay Panda!!

Thanks for dropping by
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I went and crapped a bunch of text all over poor Gay Panda's thread, which hardly seems fair, however it was something that has been nagging me for a week or two, maybe even longer, and something in the Panda Post Piqued Phreebie's Profound Postulation; Presented Posthaste:

Yes! Congratulations on the milestone, and a thousand times yes to your quote below. I often think back to that rhetorical question I have been occasionally asked; "If you had your time again, would you do anything differently?" I have always thought along the lines of owning one's mistakes and growing stronger and developing character through them, and so my answer was always pretty much a "no". Now I have diet and exercise routines that actually work for me, so if I had my time again, I would start on these as early as possible.

Then the taoist side of the equation arises and one asks, would I have been able to truly enjoygood health if I did not suffer poor health?

Also, I don't know if what I was doing before could be considered a mistake. Was it wrong, incorrect? Certainly. It was however following the *ahem* very best scientific and medical advice with the best of intententions and the strictest of disciplines.

Now I find myself with problems on a whole new level. I continue to look around ideas regarding health, fitness, exercise and mental acuity. Regardless of how much sense things seem to make I inevitably find myself asking;

Is this more of the CW stuff that I've been trying all of my life without success and simply repackaged?
    Is this the new breakthrough that can take me places against the flow of CW, like PB has?
    Is this some weirdo crackpot dude with a website and something to sell?

Then I think to myself, "Well Phreebie, why don't you just stick to the sites you know and trust and ignore everything else, until it's filtered by people you already trust?"

That's hardly a paradigm for self-aware learning and development though is it?

I watched this TED talk today and found it fascinating, again I wonder which category it falls into, but I am going to give it a go for Feb.

https://www.ted.com/talks/shawn_acho...tter_work.html

Sorry for the incoherent rambling, I promise I haven't been drinking.

Congratulations again on the 180s Woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda:
    WHY HAVE I SPENT MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE FAT AND SICK WHEN THERE WAS AN EASY SOLUTION ALL ALONG?!?!!? Ugh. If I'd been eating like this, would I ever have gotten fat in the first place?
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast