Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hbp page

metalsporks is offline Senior Member

Question Hbp

Hello all,
    Now I know my question will get responses ot be taken as purely anecdotal so I'll do the whole "talk to your doctor first" montage for myself but I do have a question/concern.

I check my BP randomly throughout the day, week, and month and every time my BP is somewhere around 130 and 100 on top, 90 and 65 on bottom. I go to the doctor and they put the cuff on so tight that I get marks on my skin that they comment on and my BP is around 140-160 on top and 75-100 on bottom. They told me that they weren't worried about the bottom number, just the top one, despite my telling and showing them the difference in results I get with an accurate meter (my mom tested it against her doctors readings and they were very accurate). So they started me on medication. It's been 4 days and I am very useasy about it.

So my question is semi two fold: Has anyone been able to go off of HBP meds by going primal (I've been primal for 3 weeks now and lost 20lbs) and/or would it be bad of me to wait until the next doctors visit on Halloween before taking them?

I want to give the lifestyle a shot at fixing my BP before I take them. I've been under huge amounts of stress and truely feel that this is the cause, besides white coat fever. I'm hoping that between continuing to lose weight and trying to reduce stress or at least cope with it better that I can kick the meds before they start.

I also feel that the doctors and nurses aren't reading it correctly due to the tightness of the cuff and that I am only in the "high" category because they keep dropping the numbers of acceptability (like in the case of "pre-diabetes" numbers being dropped).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34085.html

9/6/11: 390.1lbs

5/22/12: 339.4lbs

Goal: 175lbs

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You don't mention your weight. If you're obese, losing weight should lower your BP.

However, I would never take meds unless my doctor did a 24/7 monitor of my BP (there's something they give you to wear). My own BP is almost always higher at the doctor's office, and my primary had a tech for a long time who took my BP inaccurately. I kept telling him that, and he ignored me. She left, and there's a new person. Guess what? Now my BP is the same there as everywhere else. So there are a variety of reasons why BP can be inaccurate.

You mention the tightness of the cuff. Pain can drive up your BP instantly and show an inaccurately high reading because the cuff is too tight.

By the way, when I was obese, I always needed the larger cuff (otherwise the BP isn't accurate). Several times I had to remind them to use the larger cuff, and they often did it reluctantly because it means extra work for them to change the cuff. Since you mention the tightness, could that be an issue for you?

BP medications are great for those who really need them because high BP is very damaging. However, they are also very powerful drugs, and I would never take them unless I was absolutely sure that I needed them. It's a lot easier for doctors to prescribe meds than to check to insure that you really need them, so I'd be careful.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    This thread may be helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7475.html My dad lowered his high blood pressure to normal (and avoided meds) by following a modified PB and adding in some supps. Lots of info in there, as well as anecdotes from others who have treated their blood pressure issues w/ diet and supplements. Good luck!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

emmie: I am obese and this is probably part of the reason they are putting me on "preventative" meds. I think I'm just not going to take it unless next time proves to be abnormally high (and I am going to borrow my mom's machine to monitor it and chart it for the week before). This med situation is just very uneasy with me.

FairRae: Thanks for the thread link! I'm going to go peruse the thread now!

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    You should start monitoring now, so you have a good set of data to compare to. When the cuff is too tight on me, it causes pain and it shoots my BP up pretty darn high.
    My right arm also gives higher BP readings than my left - all the time. I've been told that it's common.

Eating too much salt(such as bacon and other processed meats) causes my BP to shoot up too.

Thanks for the advice Lily Marie. Both arms give about the same top number but the left arm is a lower bottom number. I had this problem when I had my c-section too-the cuff was too tight and I got bruises from it!

As of now, per my own beliefs, I'm going to stop taking them to see if I can have an affect on them without the meds. I know I do but the doc, well, yea.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I would take what is prescribed to you by a doctor and not trust anonymous users on a health forum. Seriously, you really shouldn't just stop taking meds that the doctor has prescribed, especially if they are for high blood pressure and especially because you are overweight. If I were you I would take the meds and then when you get in better shape talk to your doctor about lowering the dosage or weening you off of them.

dado Guest
    at first glance i thought it said "HBD" and got excited.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    I would take what is prescribed to you by a doctor and not trust anonymous users on a health forum.
    I agree you should absolutely not blindly follow the advice of anyone on a forum esp. when it comes to medication issues, and contact your doc immediately about dropping the meds. (As it has only been 4 days it *may not* be nearly as traumatic for your body to drop them cold turkey as it would be for someone who'd been on them for weeks/months. In general, I would say NEVER drop a med, esp one you have taken long term, without consulting your doctor first and figuring out a plan *with him/her* for how to wean off of it, if you decide together that it is safe to do so. But your case is a bit different IMO--even so, I feel it is very important to discuss this with your doc immediately.)

Can you possibly contact him/her tomorrow or Monday and discuss your concerns? Did you share your concerns about what you felt were faulty bp readings? Did you share about your major lifestyle changes, and ask if you could wait until your next appt. to start the meds? Who knows, your doc *may* feel it is ok to wait if he/she is aware you are making significant lifestyle changes. Did you discuss this in depth with your doc at the last appt., when the meds were prescribed?

I personally would feel uncomfortable taking a drug I felt I didn't need, if I believed it was based on faulty bp readings. I would be uncomfortable if my care provider did not acknowledge the differences between my regular readings at home and the readings at the office. (And didn't try to figure out why there were such extreme differences.) I'd be concerned that the staff did not know to use a larger cuff for a larger person (as the pp mentioned pain can impact those readings). I'd also be SURE to try and have them use a larger cuff for your next reading no matter what. I would not stop taking a medication I had started w/out contacting my doctor about it and learning more about what could happen to go on/off so suddenly, and if I felt the doctor was prescribing a med I did not need and not open to working with me on an issue such as yours, I would absolutely get a second opinion as quickly as possible.

I might look into finding a new doctor's office if you feel the stress of being in that environment may be impacting your readings, and if you feel they are not really 'hearing' you. Many doctors will work with you. Do you feel you have been speaking up and sharing most of the info you've shared here? Perhaps if your doc realizes how serious you are about making changes, and also sees a reading that has been done w/ a larger cuff (hopefully more accurate), he/she will be more open to you dropping the meds? No matter what happens, I'd personally try to find a place where you feel more comfortable for the future, as it sounds like this might not be a great fit for you.

So get in there quickly and talk w/ the doc about this. Be sure to get a more accurate bp reading if possible, and really let the doc know how serious this is to you, and how very uncomfortable you are about taking the prescribed meds. (From what you've shared, your concerns seem quite valid.)

And please don't do anything just cause someone on a forum told you to. I think that is really important! (I've read scary stuff, even here on mda, from folks who dropped meds cold turkey w/out discussing it w/ their care providers, and having bad results.)

Good luck figuring this all out! Please let us know how everything goes for you!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dropping BP meds cold turkey can be very dangerous for you. I tried doing that and I got bad headaches and felt "pulsey" all over. Scary.
    I went back on them and started cutting the pills in half - I weaned off of them(with the advice from my doctor).

I was lucky to have a doctor that listened to my concerns and was more than willing to work with me and let me lead with my treatment plans (after she let me know what her recommended options were).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast