Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good minimalist shoe for the winter months? page

DSR84 is offline Member

Good minimalist shoe for the winter months?

Hey all, I have a funky foot shape that keeps me from getting into a pair of VFFs. I've been wearing a pair of Luna huaraches, but those aren't going to cut it in a few months. Are there any VFF alternatives that the folks at MDA like to employ?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I can't wear vffs either, but have found Run Amoks to be nicely minimalist, warm, and (a plus for me) appropriate for work.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    For women "moccassin" type boots were trendy last winter. I have a pair with a really flat sole, no heel. That's about as close to barefoot as I can get in the winter.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    You can go the cheapo route w/a pair of water shoes/pool shoes. You know, those things people wear when pool walking or doing water aerobics. I paid $25 for a pair of Teva Protons which will finally be worn out sometime this winter (2 years of wear). With a pair of warm socks inside, you are good down to zero and below. I live in Wisconsin and have found that setup to work great.

You can check online at Swim Outlet; otherwise local sporting goods places likely have them on sale now also. I just ordered replacements for my Tevas from Swim Outlet for about $12 a pair.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
    You can go the cheapo route w/a pair of water shoes/pool shoes. You know, those things people wear when pool walking or doing water aerobics. I paid $25 for a pair of Teva Protons which will finally be worn out sometime this winter (2 years of wear). With a pair of warm socks inside, you are good down to zero and below. I live in Wisconsin and have found that setup to work great.

You can check online at Swim Outlet; otherwise local sporting goods places likely have them on sale now also. I just ordered replacements for my Tevas from Swim Outlet for about $12 a pair.
    This.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering the same thing. How does this work in the winter when it's wet? That may be a dumb question, but I seriously was wondering. I have been considering getting a soft-sole moccasin-type boot from Minnetonka or somewhere like that, but what if it snows? Will my feet get wet? ........

Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing. How does this work in the winter when it's wet? That may be a dumb question, but I seriously was wondering. I have been considering getting a soft-sole moccasin-type boot from Minnetonka or somewhere like that, but what if it snows? Will my feet get wet? ........
    Do you seriously plan on running on top of fresh snow, you wouldn't opt for the dry sidewalk instead? You would run when it's icy? I admire you if you are so adventurous, but honestly folks, I see a lot of hot chocolate by the fire in your future instead of hitting the wet, snowy, icy roads. Cold is one thing, wet and snowy is another. I don't foresee any of you actually braving the elements like that, if so, then sure maybe your feet will get wet but so will the rest of you so does it really matter?

I made this video last night since we have similar threads around on minimalist footwear options. I present the two cheapest ones I can think of. I use and love both and hardly doubt the more expensive ones are better. In terms of protection from the elements, well, just wear socks for warmth is all I can advise. I ... was very bored so I figured what the hell. Crappy quality but such is life.

MadelynMc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Do you seriously plan on running on top of fresh snow, you wouldn't opt for the dry sidewalk instead? You would run when it's icy? I admire you if you are so adventurous, but honestly folks, I see a lot of hot chocolate by the fire in your future instead of hitting the wet, snowy, icy roads. Cold is one thing, wet and snowy is another. I don't foresee any of you actually braving the elements like that, if so, then sure maybe your feet will get wet but so will the rest of you so does it really matter?

I made this video last night since we have similar threads around on minimalist footwear options. I present the two cheapest ones I can think of. I use and love both and hardly doubt the more expensive ones are better. In terms of protection from the elements, well, just wear socks for warmth is all I can advise. I ... was very bored so I figured what the hell. Crappy quality but such is life.

I'm not going to be running in them. I was thinking more for everyday wear. I'm not sure where you live, but the sidewalks here don't have some sort of magical barrier around them keeping the elements away. They get snow/ice/rain, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MadelynMc View Post
    I'm not going to be running in them. I was thinking more for everyday wear. I'm not sure where you live, but the sidewalks here don't have some sort of magical barrier around them keeping the elements away. They get snow/ice/rain, too.
    We get plenty of snow and other stuff where I live, and no sadly there's no magical barrier to keep them dry, so if you happen to get caught in that I'm no sure what type of footwear to recommend that will stay dry. I'm sure most water-proof options are not minimalist. I plan on using the Feiyues I show in the video, I trust they'll get plenty wet due to the cloth material. Best of luck in your search. Take a look at the "runamocs" and see if they have any tougher options.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^I've also been thinking of doing a heavy moccasin/muklok for the winter months for something a bit more minimal. They're very expensive though =\ Some kind of vibram sole (or a thin but textured/gripping sole stolen from another pair of shoes) attached to well-sealed moccasin boots with sheepskin lining would probably work quite well. That's what I'm looking for anyway.

Uggs are uggly, but they are fairly minimal and REALLY warm. If I could seal them properly or get some made by a leather-worker, I'd totally go for something like that.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast