Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good minimalist shoe for the winter months? page 2

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I live in California so I don't have to deal with the snow, just a little rain. I ordered these today. They claim to have a "hydrophobic" upper.

My morning routine has me tromping through a muddy field and I was sick of my Merrell Pace Gloves getting soaked. They're just mesh so even a little dampness and I've got wet socks. I've actually resorted to wearing my old trail shoes until the Vivos come.

Merrell also makes a leather version of the Pace Glove as well as a high top version. You might be able to use some waterproofing on the leather to at least keep dry. I don't know how they would be with thick socks.

I'm pretty sure all these have a men's version, too.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I wear Merrell True Gloves. They are like the trail gloves, but with synthetic leather instead of the mesh. I wouldn't say they are water proof, but they certainly will do me ok in winter time, at least as well as any other shoe. Outside of blisters the first couple of weeks, the shoes broke in nicely and are terrific.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to post a quick update on the Vivo Barefoots. They aren't really what you'd call waterproof. I can walk through the damp field and only get a little wet. My feet don't get drenched like they do in my Pace Gloves, but I don't think these would do much for someone in heavy rain.

On the bright side, they're comfy and seem to run true to size. They're not quite as barefoot feeling as the Merrels or VFF. Maybe when the sole breaks in a bit. I can still feel the ground but not as well as with the Vibram sole.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I wanted to post a quick update on the Vivo Barefoots. They aren't really what you'd call waterproof. I can walk through the damp field and only get a little wet. My feet don't get drenched like they do in my Pace Gloves, but I don't think these would do much for someone in heavy rain.

On the bright side, they're comfy and seem to run true to size. They're not quite as barefoot feeling as the Merrels or VFF. Maybe when the sole breaks in a bit. I can still feel the ground but not as well as with the Vibram sole.
    Take the insoles out..

I find them to run small. I wear 44's in vff but 46 or 47 in the Vivobarefoot, depending on whether I want to wear thick socks with them or not.

I just bought my 3rd pair of Vivo's on clearance, I love them. I've got a pair of the Aqueous "boots" coming to try out for winter weather hiking instead of my vff's.
    Last edited by tcb; 10-25-2011 at 11:24 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I just got some Altra Lone Peaks. They have all the minimalist features except for a thin sole. This would provide more insulation from the cold ground. Plus they look totally normal.

vdn
    vdn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Plus they look totally normal.
    I just got Merrell Pace Gloves. They are more insulating than my vibrams, but mainly I like not needing to explain my shoes to five different people everytime I leave the house.

The Merrell trail ones look great for winter- I believe they have gore-tex. I wish Merrell made a thicker barefoot option for women though....

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Interesting how our views are all over the place. I personally find the Vivo Barefoot Dharmas less comfortable than the Merrell True Gloves (the ones with the synthetic leather). The vibram outer sole on the Merrells is definitely thicker than the outer sole on the Vivos. Neither is particularly waterproof or warm. I ride my bike to the subway many days in my work clothes and the Vivos are horrible for biking with my feet slipping right off the pedals, especially if just a tiny bit wet. I'd say the Vivos have to be about the worst shoe ever for bike riding, for that reason I keep them at work and only slip them on there, a bit disappointed in them actually. I think the toe box is a bit shorter than advertised too although one of my feet is a bit larger than the other and it bumps up against the toe box slightly.

Oddly the Merrells are relatively warm when you are using them outside because when walking you are getting blood flowing to your feet which increases circulation and warmth. I have found though that if I am outside and just standing around or not very active, then they don't keep my feet very warm, the synthetic leather is thin. I may have to spring for some Steger Mukluks this winter.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Merrell barefoot train contour glove - waterproof pigskin leather. I bought a pair of the black ones and I've been wearing them to work, with pants. They have the same sole as the other Merrell barefoots, but don't feel as flexible, but I think it's due to the stiffer leather uppers. They're a little pricey but I like them.

Womens Barefoot Contour Glove Shoes - Official Merrell Online Store

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Someone on here mentioned sealskinz waterproof socks last year. They also have waterproof / cold weather socks. I bought a pair and couldn't be happier. Will keep your feet warm and dry regardless of the type of shoes you have. For footwear - I've noticed lots of seemingly comfortable shoes/boots on the market lately. As long as you can spread your toes and the soles are flexible and not like bricks - they should work fine.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Just looking for options when I found this thread. When I get the money, I'm going to get a pair of these Thula Thulas: Minimalist Footwear From Russell For Natural Barefoot-Type Running and Walking

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast