Thread: Skinny Fat -- lose the gut and gain muscle? page

feren6 is offline Member

Skinny Fat -- lose the gut and gain muscle?

Shop Now
    Hey everyone.

So I've been trickling along the Primal path and I've felt better by eliminating most junk food from my diet..and I've been learning how to cook along the way

But after reading so much material on this site and the forums, I'm getting confused. I'm 5'9, 140lbs..so pretty skinny, but I've got a 'wheat belly' that I want to get rid of, as well as gain muscle.

In what range of carbs do I aim for? 100-150? On that note, I've been eating sweet potatoes pretty regularly because 1) they are delicious and 2) they fill me up..especially with a huge slice of butter on top. But should I stop doing this? I'm not working out currently -- starting with the BBS routine tomorrow at the local gym.

Additionally, I researched that dairy is a major factor for acne. Oops. I've been guzzling down milk and yogurt like its my job, which would explain the acne outbreaks I've gotten recently. Should I just cut it out completely?

Also, I'm having trouble getting enough fat. I'm allergic to avocados and nuts (OAS), so that leaves those amazingly delicious sources out. I'm a huge snacker since I hate having to cook every couple hours when I'm hungry -- what other options are there for a college student who is constantly on the go?

I'm just a little confused on how much I should be eating and of what proportions. I bought a bunch of canned salmon and tuna, as well as olives, eggs, and bacon. I realized I feel completely satisfied when I eat a couple pieces of bacon and a bunch of eggs in the morning, probably due to the fat. I can't over do it on the bacon and eggs, right?

Anyone else go through the same situation and have some advice? Cheers!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    A couple of quick thoughts...

1. You're going to need to work out if you want to gain muscle.

2. When in doubt, wrap everything in bacon.

feren6 is offline Member
    Indeed. Should I only eat sweet potatoes post-workout or is it okay if I eat them regularly since I'm not trying to lose weight?

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by feren6 View Post
    Indeed. Should I only eat sweet potatoes post-workout or is it okay if I eat them regularly since I'm not trying to lose weight?
    There's one way to find out! Try having them more often and see what happens.

For Science!

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dianethepurple View Post
    when in doubt, wrap everything in bacon.
    brilliant. :d

js290 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not working out currently -- starting with the BBS routine tomorrow at the local gym.
    Go workout hard to stimulate protein synthesis. The appetite will follow. Just make sure you eat right.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Also, I'm having trouble getting enough fat. I'm allergic to avocados and nuts (OAS), so that leaves those amazingly delicious sources out. I'm a huge snacker since I hate having to cook every couple hours when I'm hungry -- what other options are there for a college student who is constantly on the go?
    One of the key things for many people who are trying to lose that last little bit is to reduce meal frequency, and eliminate snacking. Snacking is not going to help you at all. If your desire to eat isn't worth cooking for, then it probably isn't really hunger, and you should only eat when you are hungry.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    But after reading so much material on this site and the forums, I'm getting confused. I'm 5'9, 140lbs..so pretty skinny, but I've got a 'wheat belly' that I want to get rid of, as well as gain muscle.

In what range of carbs do I aim for? 100-150? On that note, I've been eating sweet potatoes pretty regularly because 1) they are delicious and 2) they fill me up..especially with a huge slice of butter on top. But should I stop doing this? I'm not working out currently -- starting with the BBS routine tomorrow at the local gym.
    Everyone is a little different, so you will get a lot of advice and STILL you will have to experiment.

A lot however will depend on how long & how strictly you've been doing primal. If you're still essentially easing into it, you are along the mainstream of being a big snacker. (As you stick with it, you'll likely move toward fewer bigger meals that really stick to your ribs.) If you've been doing this a while and are still snacking a lot, I would have serious concerns that you're not doing it right. (True satiation and limited hunger on primal, versus CW habits and emotional eating on semi-primal.)

If you post more info about where/when you started, your progress, and current food intake, ideas better tailored to your situation may be offered.

Additionally, I researched that dairy is a major factor for acne. Oops. I've been guzzling down milk and yogurt like its my job, which would explain the acne outbreaks I've gotten recently. Should I just cut it out completely?
    An elimination diet is a good idea for most folks trying to figure out exactly what's affecting them or blocking whatever progress they're seeking. That means at least two weeks of no-nonsense strict primal (or better yet, paleo), then add one item back in and see if it causes problems.

With dairy, you may also want to distinguish between the effects of regular dairy (e.g. milk) versus fermented (e.g. kefir, yogurt).

Have you tried coconut oil? Do you like sardines? Brisling sardines in olive oil are my go-to mobile food.

I'm just a little confused on how much I should be eating and of what proportions. I bought a bunch of canned salmon and tuna, as well as olives, eggs, and bacon. I realized I feel completely satisfied when I eat a couple pieces of bacon and a bunch of eggs in the morning, probably due to the fat. I can't over do it on the bacon and eggs, right?
    Opinions vary -- I'm not a huge fan of conventional bacon so make my own, which is really easy. There's another thread going on now (food snobs) where quite a few people claim they won't touch non-pastured eggs. So, you make the call!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal