Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Primal - Go for broke! page 3

jenni is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    Find a latin meat market. I've seen ground beef for $1.20/lb and chicken thighs for $.79/lb.
    Ok, I'm rarely jealous of the Eastern section of this country, but this. just. isn't. fair. lol I was happy to pay $3.99/lb for fresh ground beef yesterday.
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

jenni is offline Member
    Cabbage is my yummy, and cheap favorite filler right now.

I'm feeding 6 people primally right now, so we have to buy a lot of ground beef, chicken, and cheaper steak cuts. I did find some goat meat at the Halal butcher yesterday, but they didn't have different cuts, just chunks. I guess it's goat stew this week! Liver is a good buy and packed full of good things. In all we spent around $400 in food yesterday and will have to spend around $200 next week. This may seem high to some or low to others, depends on where you live. I don't live in a cheap food area.

I will be expanding my garden next year and encourage everyone to grow something
    Last edited by jenni; 10-01-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarity
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Just an exercise? What does that mean? I'm sure you are trying to live your best life like the rest of us!

One thing I never see in the forums when people talk about saving money is gas for the cars. With prices as high as they are, I would strongly encourage car pooling when possible for entertainment and work when it makes sense. I live in the suburbs, so we don't do the museums and parks in the city that often. Try walking or bike riding to the park or other stops that don't require lots of carrying stuff home. While these new habits take time to develop, you will be teaching your kids some awesome healthy habits. Kids can enjoy time playing at the park (free) as much as some other more costly form of enertainment. What they really want if time with you.

We skip most first run movies and pick them up at either the cheap theatre or DVD at red box (~$1/night).

I make cuts in places other than the food department, but I can afford the luxury of good food and buying beef and bison in bulk. I also agree that grass fed ground meat is awesome for the price. We also rarely go out to eat as the food is often lower quality and the price of one nice meal out could buy a weeks worth of groceries.
    These are all good suggestions.

I live in a city with excellent public transportation (despite all the complaints we make-try living anywhere else) and pay $104 a month for unlimited access to transportation. I could cut down, calculate the minimum number of trips I need to make, but I like going anywhere I like anytime.

No movies, less books than I used to buy, and so forth.

Tea is not a luxury though.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Just an exercise? What does that mean? I'm sure you are trying to live your best life like the rest of us!

One thing I never see in the forums when people talk about saving money is gas for the cars. With prices as high as they are, I would strongly encourage car pooling when possible for entertainment and work when it makes sense. I live in the suburbs, so we don't do the museums and parks in the city that often. Try walking or bike riding to the park or other stops that don't require lots of carrying stuff home. While these new habits take time to develop, you will be teaching your kids some awesome healthy habits. Kids can enjoy time playing at the park (free) as much as some other more costly form of enertainment. What they really want if time with you.

We skip most first run movies and pick them up at either the cheap theatre or DVD at red box (~$1/night).

I make cuts in places other than the food department, but I can afford the luxury of good food and buying beef and bison in bulk. I also agree that grass fed ground meat is awesome for the price. We also rarely go out to eat as the food is often lower quality and the price of one nice meal out could buy a weeks worth of groceries.
    Hey guy, I'm just doing the best I can at the moment. with a food budget (just for myself) of 40$ this week, I think I did pretty good.

1x Spaghetti Squash
    1x Butternut Squash
    2x 80/20 regular ground beef (yeah I know it's not grassfed)
    1x 1 dozen Flaxseed fed chicken eggs
    1x Unsweetened Coconut Milk
    1x Button Mushrooms
    1x Mirepoix Mix

Among other things I had to get for the family, so I'm just living until I get paid.

You guys have to know I would be doing the whole "Bone broth," "grass fed beef delivered to my door" thing if I could this week.

If it makes you guys feel better, I can ride my bike to the gym too :-P.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Green Mountain diapers sells seconds. They are the diapers that are cut just off a bit, and sell for less. GMD diapers are outstanding for absorption. One dozen of them, and three covers, and you will spend the same amount on 3 weeks supply of diapers. So, within three weeks, you will have broken even. From there, you can expand.

For cheap primal, sardines, eggs, make a great big thing of soup, and nurse it all week. Throw in some liver and onions, and a few potatoes to get you through the hump.

And, this does not have to be all or nothing! Gradually introduce this WOE into your current lifestyle.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    What size cloth diapers do you need? I have some pockets I could send you for the cost of shipping, I think a few of them are one sized. I need to clean out the stash of baby stuff. We are SO done.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    $1/doz eggs?? Very jealous. Milk & eggs are $3-4 here (per gallon/dozen respectively).

Buying in bulk will be more initially but will save you in the long run. Boyfriend & I signed up for BJs wholesale, they had a promotion for 14mos for $40 (inside of 12 for $50), so we went for it. We buy our meat in bulk there (5lbs at a time since we don't have room to freeze more when that's 5lb/meat type [chicken, beef, pork etc.]) and save the green stuff for the regular grocery store since we don't go through it fast enough to warrant 5+ green peppers/week.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nopie View Post
    What size cloth diapers do you need? I have some pockets I could send you for the cost of shipping, I think a few of them are one sized. I need to clean out the stash of baby stuff. We are SO done.
    Win!

Large please! (10mo and over 20 lbs) If my wife is ok with it, I'll gladly pay by paypal/set it all up if you take it.

We might just support GMD and get our own as well.

Will keep you posted nopie.

nopie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    Win!

Large please! (10mo and over 20 lbs) If my wife is ok with it, I'll gladly pay by paypal/set it all up if you take it.

We might just support GMD and get our own as well.

Will keep you posted nopie.
    Sounds good. I'll go through my stuff. I used some of it through 3 kids so it's not in 'sell on diaperswappers' condition, but it's functional. It should be light enough to ship cheap if I leave inserts out. I made my own inserts anyways using either prefolds or just absorbent rags/microfiber cloths.

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    Some veggies take to canning really well, like tomatoes, and are thus a cheap veggie option year round. Same goes for frozen: stuff like broccoli does well in the freeze.

I also check meat marts for good deals. My local Martin's sells a "Country Pudding" of all the stuff most people don't want from cows and pigs: liver, jowls, sweetbreads, kidneys, oxtail, etc. for less than dirt. It browns up nicely and has very subtle flavor, meaning it can drink up sauces like a champ.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast