Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap Primal - Go for broke! page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Frozen wild salmon at grocery outlet. Heck almost all my primal fare comes from grocery outlet or trader joe's. I only get $45.00 per week and have leftover food very often. Here's a typical grocery list:

Seven cans aroyo-D coconut milk
    Two frozen sides of salmon
    Four avocados
    Greens, including fresh, and frozen bags of pesticide-free spinach and broccoli from joe's. Lots of greens, even fresh baby greens, whatever is available and cheap but healthy.
    Sweet potatoes
    Organic apples (ouch on the wallet!)
    Three or four cans of oysters on water
    Five cans of mackerel (Probably the healthiest fish on the planet!)
    Sometimes a mango or two, but fruit comes last since it's a treat.
    That's probably about it most of the time, aside from the tallow I make myself and occasional foray into liver, etc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Will echo what others have said about grass fed ground beef. Worth the price for the nutrition IMHFO.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Goat. Dirt cheap and delicious. Offal if you can hang with that.
    Oh yeah, I saw that there's a Halal butcher near me. I plan on paying them a visit this weekend.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Shizzle! Forgot to mention Bones.

Bones go in crock pot, 48 hours later super nutritious broth comes out. Very cheap, very good for you.

And cabbage.

That is all.

As mentioned, eggs are cheap even when organic and cage free (comparatively expensive but cheap overall still). Also, even Wal-Mart has some organic produce selections, so you can save money there as well. $100 a week should way more than enough for whatever anyway. I don't think Grok used diapers. Just ditch them altogether.

Edit: Also keep an eye out for sales. They had near expired organic beef hotdogs and ground grass fed buffalo on clearance for half off the other day locally. Needless to say I bought it all. That's what they make freezers for.
    Last edited by UnsafeAtAnySpd; 09-30-2011 at 08:22 PM.

metalsporks is offline Senior Member
    We make our own kombucha and kefir, do lots of eggs, focus on meat before all else, avocados, grow our own food when possible, farmers market sometimes is a good deal, cloth diapers and wipes laundered ourself (message me if you have prob with this one), and generally coupon clip, buy on sale (check for the discount meat and freeze that day-half off!), and find free stuff! Good luck!

Edit: I agree with ditching the diapers too (we part time EC). Look up elimination communication!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34085.html

9/6/11: 390.1lbs

5/22/12: 339.4lbs

Goal: 175lbs

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen1968 View Post
    As to diapers...Buy used! They last a long time, though several kids if taken care of properly. Diaperswappers is one site; Craigslist if you live in a crunchy urban area. Too bad you can't get them on eBay anymore.
    Did I actually just read this?

primalblonde is offline Member
    Eggs are $1 a dozen for you? Are those cage free?
    My eggs are at least $3 a dozen. Still cheap, but not as cheap! lol

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalblonde View Post
    Eggs are $1 a dozen for you? Are those cage free?
    My eggs are at least $3 a dozen. Still cheap, but not as cheap! lol
    They're probably terrible (local price chopper.) I couldn't believe it myself.

I have an omega 3 supplement I'm living on, I don't know if it's enough to warrant buying those eggs. How much omega 3 (DHA) should I be getting anyway?

Also, the wife is alergic to fish, so any fish I get will be frozen somewhere else and served at a restaurant. Unless I can get a bag of shrimp or something. You guys like shrimp? I woudn't mind dropping money on some cocktail shrimp at the local food store.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-01-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Mud Flinger is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    They're probably terrible (local price chopper.) I couldn't believe it myself.

I have an omega 3 supplement I'm living on, I don't know if it's enough to warrant buying those eggs. How much omega 3 (DHA) should I be getting anyway?

Also, the wife is alergic to fish, so any fish I get will be frozen somewhere else and served at a restaurant.

Plus, this is just an excercise.
    Just an exercise? What does that mean? I'm sure you are trying to live your best life like the rest of us!

One thing I never see in the forums when people talk about saving money is gas for the cars. With prices as high as they are, I would strongly encourage car pooling when possible for entertainment and work when it makes sense. I live in the suburbs, so we don't do the museums and parks in the city that often. Try walking or bike riding to the park or other stops that don't require lots of carrying stuff home. While these new habits take time to develop, you will be teaching your kids some awesome healthy habits. Kids can enjoy time playing at the park (free) as much as some other more costly form of enertainment. What they really want if time with you.

We skip most first run movies and pick them up at either the cheap theatre or DVD at red box (~$1/night).

I make cuts in places other than the food department, but I can afford the luxury of good food and buying beef and bison in bulk. I also agree that grass fed ground meat is awesome for the price. We also rarely go out to eat as the food is often lower quality and the price of one nice meal out could buy a weeks worth of groceries.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast