Thread: just wondering.... food pyramid.... page

littlelam Guest

Primal Fuel

I was just looking back through old posts and wondering if Mark ever answered the question as to why fuits and vegetables were at the bottom of his primal blueprint pyramid rather than on the 2nd tier, with meat being numero uno?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

that was only the carb pyramid if I remember correctly.

but in any event i think you should be consuming more servings of veggies than meat. this isn't strictly a low-carb diet.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Vick is offline Senior Member

His book is quite specific. The base is vegetables and fruits. Then we have meat, fish, fowl and eggs.

He recommends 50 - 100 grams of carbs for weight loss and 100 - 150 for maintenance.

Meat isn&#39;t number one. We eat for 2 reasons. One is for repairing and maintaining our body the second is for fuel. Mark promotes fat as a fuel not sugar.

Dr. Ron Rosendale promotes fat as a fuel not sugar. Protein... the jury is still out... but all you want is enough to rebuild muscle.

You need to have the nuitrients required on the least amount of calories as possible. You need to cut out sugar not nutrients. You do that by cutting out grains not vegetables. Fruits are suspect if you have high sugar problems.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

While there are many VLC/carnivore types here, veggies are awesome and can be enjoyed in plenty. If you&#39;re trying to lose weight you might not gorge on them, but... otherwise they&#39;re awesome.

Generally speaking, at dinnertime I might have 1/2 my plate covered with veggies, and 1/4 with meat - a steak or piece of fish or chicken. (1/4 is empty haha.) Then I might also have a salad or a second helping of veggies... so "servings" wise, that&#39;s a LOT of servings of veggies in one sitting (where a serving of some stuff might be 1/2 cup or less).

I just googled veggie servings and fresh asparagus has a "serving size" of 5 spears, whereas I easily eat 15 or more in one sitting. 8 brussels sprouts (I would easily eat double that). When you talk about things that wilt a lot like sauteed spinach...man it&#39;s EASY to eat 4+ servings.

Now if we&#39;re talking about "calories from" ... meat would probably be lower than veggies (since veggies have so much water for one!) , but fats would be at the base of mine.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.