Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein shakes...possible downside? page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Protein shakes...possible downside?

For the second time since I started drinking whey protein shakes a week or so ago, I woke up with a massive anxiety attack last night. These have NEVER happened to me before, and the only difference in my life in the last week is...daily protein shake (2 scoops...20g of protein).

Searching the 'net unearthed a lot of info on whey protein...most of it good. But digging some more uncovered a whole bunch of people who also experienced anxiety attacks, and some good info on the biochemistry of the brain that might explain it.

Until I know more...no more protein shakes for me.

If anyone here has relevant info...I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks in advance.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    I don't find them useful or palatable. Don't need them. Don't drink them on my Paleo program.

Fury is offline Senior Member
    What type & brand of protein shake? what's the nutritional breakdown like?

*edit* Is a single serving one or two scoops? (serving size in grams, carbs/fat/protein per serving)

At what time of day are you drinking it? Mixed with anything?
    How close to your nearest meal?

Whey comes in many quality/purity levels and using different processing methods can produce very different products (from low grade concentrates akin to powdered skim milk with too little water to isolates that taste light & clean with a thin consistency)
    Even just among whey concentrates not all are created equal, and many retail brands are aimed at bodybuilders, some full of questionable stuff in the sake of "performance", others bulked up with fillers, etc...
    Last edited by Fury; 09-30-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    What type & brand of protein shake? what's the nutritional breakdown like?

*edit* Is a single serving one or two scoops? (serving size in grams, carbs/fat/protein per serving)

At what time of day are you drinking it? Mixed with anything?
    How close to your nearest meal?

Whey comes in many quality/purity levels and using different processing methods can produce very different products (from low grade concentrates akin to powdered skim milk with too little water to isolates that taste light & clean with a thin consistency)
    Even just among whey concentrates not all are created equal, and many retail brands are aimed at bodybuilders, some full of questionable stuff in the sake of "performance", others bulked up with fillers, etc...
    Type and brand: Whey protein (vanilla creme flavor)/Primal Fuel (Mark's product)

Serving size: 2 scoops (the recommendation on package) = 20g of protein

Time of day: About 4 pm after workout...ate a banana first

Mixed with: Water (per instructions)

Nearest meal: 1/2 roast beef sandwich 3 hours prior...next meal 3 hours later

Nothing I did would indicate to me that the reaction I had was predictable. I, under NO circumstances, want to experience the hell I experienced last night and a few nights prior. My best solution now is to avoid ingesting protein via this vehicle.

If you have further input, I would welcome it! Thanks!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    May not be related. Protein shakes are generally problematic in the sense that they displace real food. No use for them outside hardgainers, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    May not be related. Protein shakes are generally problematic in the sense that they displace real food. No use for them outside hardgainers, IMO.
    Not sure how it can not be related. The onset of symptoms coincided with the only change in my normal routine - the introduction of whey protein powder drinks. Not that it will matter, going forward...I've stopped using it.

Thanks for the input...appreciate it!

jeffb01 is offline Junior Member
    You have to another some time to see if there is really a correlation. Just because the "onset of symptoms coincided with the only change in your normal routine", doesn't mean it was caused by the protein powder. I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying I would try it one more time maybe at half dose (if you don't really care or want protein powder, then I guess I wouldn't).

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel should be a good choice, have not tried myself but looks like a quality mix of ingredients

You may want to try taking the protein shake with a meal instead of in the middle of 6hrs without other food, for more gradual digestion along with other stomach contents like more traditional protein sources would.

Ignore the typical bodybuilder recommendations to consume immediately after workout (their "science" is mostly based around test subjects given whey with a empty stomach, not on people who've also had meals w protein earlier in the day, and will have aminos available from its continued digestion)

A meal pre-workout would be ideal if not for the possibility of a full stomach + very strenuous exercise making people feel sick
    Last edited by Fury; 10-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i drink one in the morning if im running short on time for breakfast. no problems there however i have noticed if i drink one at night it keeps me up late
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    May give it a half dose try in a week...at the moment I'm very gun-shy...no way I want to go through another night like I had a couple of nights ago.

On the other hand, a 12 ounce glass of half white milk/half chocolate milk tastes great and offers 12-13 grams of protein, without the fear of upsetting my bio-chemistry!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast