Thread: Back in the Saddle AGAIN! a_morgan24’s Journal (Take 2) page

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member

Back in the Saddle AGAIN! a_morgan24’s Journal (Take 2)

Shop Now
    After 9 very successful months of Primal livin’, I fell off of the wagon. Big Time. I didn’t just fall off, I willingly dove head first. I turned 30 back in May and was living large and then BAM; received an epic unexpected blow. My long-time, hoped-to-marry-someday boyfriend broke up with me 2 days later. Add heartbreak to roommate/housing drama and BIG ups and downs at my new job and inevitably, my health was pushed to the backburner. Now, it’s time to get back in the saddle.

I spent the summer traveling, playing, drinking and eating terribly (we're talking maybe 60/40 here). I won’t lie; I had a lot of fun. But the pounds are slowly creeping back on, my quality of sleep has suffered, my workouts have suffered (despite maintaining the same level of activity) and I literally can ‘feel’ the inflammation coming back on in my breathing (exercise induced asthma) and in a new wrist/tendon injury.

I want to get back to the healthy, happy and confident version of me and know that this step is a huge one to getting there. Beyond that, I’m ready to get back out and date again (despite how much I hate the games and drama that come with it). I truly want to have a family someday and believe that I have a lot to offer somebody so … it’s time to get back in that saddle too!

I know that this lifestyle works for me and I have a great support system so a group of my friends from our CrossFit affiliate decided to do our own 30 day challenge to keep each other on track. Starting this Monday, we’re tag-teaming 30 days of strict Primal living. I hope that our team effort along with tracking in this journal for 30 days will get me back to where I need to be (physically and mentally) so that I continue to live this lifestyle indefinitely.

So here goes nothin’!

Info: 30 y/o, female, live in Denver ‘burbs, work at home as a recruiter, have dog that loves walking, do CrossFit 3-4x/week, play often (golf, softball, hiking, jewelry-making, taking pictures, taking trips, other fun), trying to do more Yoga, love to cook, Dad owns grassfed beef business. Struggle with: social eating out/drinking, running, weakness for Mexican food, packing my schedule too tight all of the time.
    Last edited by a_morgan24; 10-05-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added general info about me...

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back! Things happen. Good luck with dating.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thx, Hedonist! I have a feeling I'll need the 'good luck', it's been a while I checked out your blog and bookmarked it; I see some good looking recipes (hello, Chocolate Coconut Avocado Mousse) on there that I’ll come back for.

I had a great weekend including an awesome trip up to the mountains to take some pictures and got to go out with fun girlfriends both nights. But… it’s back at it tomorrow so I got myself all ready to go today! I got rid of (that means drank) the last few beers I had thanks to a lousy Broncos game, I purged the bad food from the fridge and the cabinets, made a big grocery trip, thawed out a big grass fed roast and planned out my meals for the first week. I am planning on 4 trips to CrossFit this week, 1 dance class, 1 softball game and a yoga class thrown in for good measure. The weather here in Colorado is still very nice so that will help with the Vitamin D as well.

Come Monday, it'll be alright...

Day 1 of Back in the Saddle! So far, so good. I decided not to 'weigh in' today as weight loss isn't really my goal here. But I did get a good mental picture of what I look like and also will use my favorite jeans as a guide, that seems to be a better indicator of body change for me. All of the CrossFit I do doesn't exactly keep me dainty.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with green chilies and homemade salsa, strawberries, green tea
    Lunch: big ass salad
    Dinner: Hamburger (no bun) with sautéed mushrooms & bacon, salad.

I didn’t sleep well last night but think it was work stress keeping me up. I’m going to remember that tonight and call on my friend, Melatonin. I got my Vitamin D by doing yard work on my lunch break and my fun/workout in at a dance class with a friend. It’s a tough cardio workout with lots of abs/glutes, I’m sore today! But it’s the good kind.

Day 2

B: wasn’t hungry so didn’t eat
    L: BAS w/ Tuna
    D: RIDICULOUSLY yummy roast,oven roasted asparagus, glass of red wine

For the roast I combined a couple of primal recipes that I found and it was awesome. Used a 3lb. grass fed chuck roast and covered it with Hudson Bay Beef Spice bought at one of my favorite stores. I then seared the roast on each side in Coconut oil. In the crockpot, I covered the bottom with bacon, threw in some onion and put the roast on top of that. Then topped again with bacon and more onion and cooked on low all day. YUM.

CrossFit WOD at noon was killer.

5 rounds on the 5 minute start interval of:
    400 meter run
    max set of pullups without dropping from the bar (I modified with ring rows due to a wrist injury)
    max set of pushups
    Your goal is to run the 400 m run VERY hard and then immediately start your pullup set. As soon as you drop off the bar, start your pushup set. Your max sets of pushups must be done continuous. You can pause in the front leaning rest position, but as soon as your knees touch the ground, your set is over. Your score is your total number of reps.

I got a total of 125 reps; 69 ring rows and 56 pushups.

Day 3

B: Omelet with green chilies, avocado and salsa, strawberries
    L: Leftover yummy roast and raw veggies with primal ranch dressing
    D: Chipotle Carnitas bowl with fajita veggies, pico, guac and lettuce, red wine

With my recent wrist injury and overall super-soreness, I am not feeling the heavy O-Lift workouts as often at CrossFit. That is what yesterday’s WOD was so I skipped it and went with a 45 minute dog walk and half hour of Yoga. I think that variety in routine is important for me and for my silly dog who prances like a puppy every time she gets on the leash

PrimalCon New York
    Day 4

B: egg scramble with bacon, avocado and salsa
    L: BA chopped Salad
    D: Protein shake (short period of time between activities)

WOD: As many rounds in 20 minutes of:
    5 back squats, 95 lbs.
    10 ring rows
    15 double-unders
    I did 12 rounds + 10 reps.

65 back squats right before softball?! My legs were worthless. Left the gym and went straight to my co-ed softball game (I withheld from the beer! *Pats back*) where we kicked some butt.

On a more personal note; I was discussing dating last night with a group of guys from my gym (all 30-40 and married or in relationships). I told them to find me a 30-something ‘catch’ and one laughed and said “if he’s over 30 and a catch, why would he be single?” Then they proceeded to inform me that all guys my age are older are either commitment-phobic (hello, ex-bf) or have baggage. Super. I remember reading a similar thread here about women, turns out it is the same on both sides?! I’m still optimistic but yikes, this business is scary to me!