Thread: Primal Blueprint and Body by Science page

Vick is offline Senior Member

They could be called the first testament and 2nd testament when it comes to looking after ourselves.

What I find really important is they compliment each other. Mark covers the diet, while McGuff and Little cover the heavy lifting. Their concepts of hunter/gatherer foods and the importance of heavy lifting are the same. Mark covers the diet and BBS covers the lifting. It blew me away when McGuff mentioned on his website he takes Mark's supplements.

They have some slight differences, but that is good. It means we continue to review and research what to do what is best for our own personal achievement.

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Another compliment read to consider is "Primal Body-Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgoudas.

Mark's PB is very well laid out and organized while Nora's PB-PM is somewhat scattered and disorganized. However, Nora goes in to far more detail (perhaps the reason for the disorganization?) on the subject and really fills in the subtopics that Mark generalized.

If people read Mark's book and follow up with Nora's, I think it can take folks to a slightly higher level.

I read McGuff and Little too and liked their approach as well.

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

gazb is offline Junior Member

I liked Body By Science and I've implemented some of the ideas into my workouts, the main one being training more intensely and less frequently. I used to to a Starting Strength type full body workout 3x per week and I hit a wall fairly quickly, which was partly due to not getting adequate recovery time (and partly due to not eating enough!). So I've cut it down to one intense full body workout per week and I'm making progress again. I'm still doing free weights though, not entirely convinced by the book's "machines are better" stance, they don't present much evidence to back it up.

Like many "paleo" sources, the book doesn't stress the importance of dietary fats, but otherwise the nutrition advice is solid.

I enjoyed it overall, it cleared up some things I didn't fully understand or was unclear about regarding exercise and metabolism, and helped convince me of the lack of any need for cardio in non-sport-specific training. Even the sports training advice was interesting to me as it applies to more than just sport! As a musician, the parts about "deliberate practice" and making your practice drills resemble real situations really resonated with me.

Vick is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm using machines right now, but when I do free weights it is in a power cage and static holds.

I've only been lifting for about 5 months so I'm hesitiant using free weights in a full rage.