Thread: Primal Journal *Schatze* page

Schatze is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal *Schatze*

Primal Fuel
    Hello! What a great idea to post journals here.
    My name is Schatze and this will be my record of meals, exercise, ups and downs, hobbies, random tidbits and observations of each day. Thank you for reading!

First of all, I've been following this way of eating for about 4 weeks.
    For the last 6 weeks I've been losing weight - a total of 12 pounds as of today. (I'm 5'4 and have gone from a high of 152 to 140 this morning, yay!)
    Most of that loss has been in the last 4 weeks since eating primal. Not a big surprise.
    My goal is to eventually be back to my healthy, lean weight of about 115-120, which I haven't seen since I was 25 or so. I'm 31 now. So far I'm off to a good start, and feel really great!

Breakfast:
    veggie frittata with spinach and tomatoes
    2 patties of turkey sausage
    herbal tea
    (from the cafeteria at work)

Lunch: leftover salad from last night with:
    Rotisserie chicken, romaine, cucumber, bacon, Gruyere cheese, carrot, cabbage, slivered almonds, and an olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette.

Dinner: TBD

Later tonight I'll fill in my food journal for the last 5 days. I stopped counting calories/macros Sunday of this week. Before that I was averaging 40-60g carbs, 80-120 grams protein, and about 50% fat. As long as I keep losing I'm not going to worry about calories, which is WAY different for me, but it seems to be working so far.

Dinner -
    One mashed avocado, a can of albacore tuna, a can of spicy fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic, and a whole diced English cucumber. And a few cashews.

Wow, this was GOOD!!! It seems like such a weird (and not very pretty) mixture but it was just what I was hungry for.

This is what the earlier days this week looked like:

Mon
    B - coffee, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
    L - Fage 2% yogurt
    D - steak, mushrooms and zucchini sauteed in butter,
    salad with olive oil/balsamic, 1 glass of red wine

Tue
    B- coffee
    L - Romaine and cucumber salad with chicken and olive oil/balsamic
    D - Salmon sauteed in butter, cabbage with bacon, 2 glasses of red wine

Wed
    B - coffee
    L - Romaine and cucumber salad with leftover salmon, Fage 2% yogurt
    D - Baked chicken breast with a "dressing" of chopped veg, walnuts, apple, prunes

Thur
    B - coffee, 2 eggs fried in coconut oil
    L - Fage 2% yogurt
    D - BIG SALAD: rotisserie chicken, bacon, romaine lettuce, cucumber, onion, cabbage, slivered almonds, shredded carrot, olive oil/ balsamic, 2 beers (boo)

Tonight I'm headed out for cocktails. I'll probably have one or two 'vodka-something-or-others'. This place specializes in Pre-Prohibition style cocktails, so they are pretty strongly flavored and good for sipping.
    Last edited by Schatze; 09-30-2011 at 03:35 PM.

catbreu is offline Senior Member
    Hi Schatze, welcome to the forum! I started primal in the beginning of August and have seen some fantastic changes. It is a great way to achieve food zen and feel comfortable with your body. I hope that the benefits continue to increase for you!

Thank you, catbreu!

Last night I had 2 cocktails - the "vodka something or other" also had lemon and elderflower liquor in it, and another I tried had rye whiskey, cognac, bitters, and absinthe. This morning I discovered that mixing cocktail ingredients is...not such a great idea. :P Two of the same and I probably would've been fine. Ah well, I learned my lesson! Now that the headache is gone I'm doing okay.

Food:

Breakfast: Out! I had:
    Omlette - with spinach and onions, topped with hollandaise sauce. The hollandaise was a GREAT idea! I wanted eggs benedict but obviously not the bread. What is the point of eggs benedict without the sauce? So, ordered some on the side and poured it over the omlette instead. It was awesomely good.
    Also, an order of bacon

Lunch/Snack: Also out, as I was wandering all over downtown on this beautiful fall day.
    I ordered a 16oz carrot juice with lemon and ginger. I didn't think that would be very "carby" but it had 44 grams.

Might go out to a friend's place tonight. If so, we might watch Rambo. I <3 Rambo! I think I've had a crush on that Sylvester Stallone charachter since I was about 12. Yes, as a little girl I watched "Rambo, First Blood" many, many times. My husband thinks that's hilarious.
    If we head out there...maybe I'll make chocolate covered bacon as a treat...

October Goal

Food:
    3 boiled eggs
    big bowl of cauliflower "fried rice"

Exercise:
    ~3 mile walk

I gained a couple of pounds back after the weekend - that's no good! It's probably just temporary but I need to be careful. My goal for the end of October is to be down to 134. I'll re-double my efforts to eat well and try to strongly limit alcohol, fruit, dairy, and nuts.

Breakfast:
    2 eggs
    2 slices bacon
    coffee

Lunch:
    1 can salmon
    shredded romaine
    olive oil/balsamic

Dinner:
    beer-braised port loin with thyme and garlic
    (from the crockpot)
    green cabbage and carrots sauteed with butter

53% fat, 23g carb, 88g protein

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    "Beer-braised port loin" What was that about not drinking? I have a chunk of pork in the freezer that I need to figure out what to do with. This is a possibility . . .

Welcome! And I'm jealous of the pre-prohibition bar you've got. Elderflower liquor? Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    "Beer-braised port loin" What was that about not drinking?
    Ha!!! Yeah, I wonder if typing "port" vs "pork" was some sort of a Freudian thing!
    But nah, I don't count cooking meat in beer the same as drinking the beer. I'd rather hold out for red wine...maybe this weekend...
    Thank you for the welcome and the comment, drssgchic!

Harumph! Those two gained pounds haven't budged.

Breakfast:
    coffee
    3 fried eggs, tablespoon of butter

Lunch:
    scoop of chicken salad

Planned for dinner later:
    buffalo chicken drumsticks
    veg...probably sauteed cabbage again.

Got a HUGE bag of shredded cabbage and carrot (aka, coleslaw mix ) from Sams. Sauteed cabbage in butter is quickly becoming a favorite side item.

EDIT - I'm just having the chicken for dinner. It smells so good! Had 2 spoons of peanut butter while I'm waiting.

Fat 68%, 8g carbs, 89g protein
    Last edited by Schatze; 10-04-2011 at 03:29 PM.

I keep forgetting to post my exercise.

Walked at work x 20mins
    Kettlebell swings 15-15-15
    "Modified" pushups 10-10-8....ouch

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lost 1.0lb

Breakfast:
    2 pc bacon
    2 fried eggs
    espresso and sugar