Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help GAINING weight on PB! page

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member

I need help GAINING weight on PB!

Shop Now
    Hello All!

I am a 5'6 small framed 98 lb woman who is looking to gain about 17lb of lean muscle mass. I have been struggling to gain for awhile and have strayed from the PB diet thinking that grains, legumes, and dairy would help me gain but after about 3 months of adding grains back in I have still not gained any weight. The grains that I have been eating are ALL organic, sprouted, and unprocessed but I still know they are not very good for my body.

My new plan to gain weight is to start lifting heavy weight and try eating all PB again. My question to you all is what foods would you eat to gain the 17 lbs???? How many calories for my height and frame?

I do have some dietary restrictions but not many. I can have some dairy but NOT milk of any kind (not even raw) or heavy cream. I'm also allergic to whey protein powder. Fortunately cheese and butter are o.k. I can't have caffeine either so dark chocolate is out.

I have 2 small children so I don't have a ton of time to log all of my food intake. I just want to hear how many calories you think I should be eating and maybe even example days of how to get there.

I appreciate any and all input. TIA!
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

dado Guest
    Ah, I didn't see you were allergic to milk. That sucks.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I drink goats milk and it suits me - if you haven't tried it - I might give that a shot. I would also say go for higher carb version - potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and mix them up with lots of good saturated fats - coconut milk - butter on everything, add honey to things. I wouldn't worry about tracking your calories - it sounds like you just need to eat what you comfortably can - if anything sounds good and you want more, go for it. And at 5'6" and 98 lbs, you could probably stand to gain some fat too. I am 5'7" and just under 120lb and I am small framed, and I am what most people would consider pretty skinny. I am happy with my weight, and I am not down to 13-14% body fat or anything (maybe somewhere between 18 and 20, prolly), but if you gained a few pounds of body fat, it is not going to be bad for you by any means.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I heartily endorse your plan to lift heavy things. That's what helped me gain muscle more than anything about my diet. I would recommend some starch post-lifting also. Good luck and keep us posted on your success!

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I drink goats milk and it suits me - if you haven't tried it - I might give that a shot. I would also say go for higher carb version - potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and mix them up with lots of good saturated fats - coconut milk - butter on everything, add honey to things. I wouldn't worry about tracking your calories - it sounds like you just need to eat what you comfortably can - if anything sounds good and you want more, go for it. And at 5'6" and 98 lbs, you could probably stand to gain some fat too. I am 5'7" and just under 120lb and I am small framed, and I am what most people would consider pretty skinny. I am happy with my weight, and I am not down to 13-14% body fat or anything (maybe somewhere between 18 and 20, prolly), but if you gained a few pounds of body fat, it is not going to be bad for you by any means.
    I completely agree about gaining some fat and that was my intent when I started to eat a lot more carbs (grains included). Since I've been eating bread, quoina, rice, beans, and dairy and not gaining weight I have decided I need a new plan....protein and heavy lifting. I have done a couple of heavy lifting sessions already and have gained about 2 pounds so I think this will actually work!

What I need help with is the diet aspect of PB! I think I need about 2500-2800 calories a day to gain of primal foods and I can't seem to get there. The few times that I have tracked (eating grains nonetheless) I have only been able to consume 2200-2400 calories. I need some ideas to consume that many calories of only PB foods.
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    I decided to stick with the primal blueprint but the grains I'm eating aren't helping me gain weight.

This is turning more into a health food forum than a primal forum. Sprouted bread is health food. (though it's not healthy) Grok doesn't eat health food...he eats real food.

Oh, wait, I see....you know the grains aren't good for your body. Then get rid of your fucking bread addiction and stop eating them. Why would you knowingly put something in your body you know is bad for you?

My plan is to start lifting heavy and eating primal again. Wait, what? You said you are primal and now you admit you aren't? Oh, I see. You know you have to cut out the bread but you need reassurance from a board full of people before you will do that. It's just a fucking excuse. Want to gain weight? Eat food your body wants....if your body wants to be say 110 lbs. it will be 110 lbs. if you let it. Stop preventing it by eating sprouted shit like that makes a fucking difference.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    okkiee..i think steaknchop had a bad day so we shall all ignore his swearing yes indeed...it can seem very hard to gain weight sometimes the best advice is to really go all out in your compound movements(with help) squat deadlift kill it as for food focus around massive post work out meals if i were you very heavy starch and of course do not eat any grains EVER the more and more i research you can have no symptoms whatsoever and you can still be coeliac and itll mess things up...stick with sweet potatoes, rice squash lots of veggies..up your fat content high on non training days and lower it on training days to accomodate the higher carb ratio..it seems to be working very well for people in terms of energy strength and pure muscle mass gaining ...obv. u need to fiddle with stuff too...you can also try kefir or goats milk...but i always recommend taking a lactase pill if u do in the end tho it is finding the foods that work for you(and not jumping back onto legumes and grains they will just cause issues down the line) itll probably take u awhile again now becuz u ate the crap stuff and whether u feel it or not ur system is probably messed up again...be patient and itll come to u

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I am able to handle goats milk dairy without lactase, even though I couldn't do it with cow's milk, so you may find you can - could be worth a shot anyways.

Put lots of butter/coconut milk on everything
    Have smoothies made of coconut milk, or full fat yogurt if you can handle that
    Eat more meals, or have snacks available whenever you feel you may be hungry
    Get dark chocolate - most people seem to be able to eat a lot of that
    Mix up your primal starches with fats
    Eat until you are slightly too full (not just barely full enough)
    Keep on lifting. If you are anything like me, you prolly won't put on tons of actual pounds of muscle very quickly - I have a hard time gaining muscle even with a good lifting plan and good dietary support - in general slightly built women do have a hard time with it - but if you are patient, you can.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Eat more. And if you're not sure if you're eating enough, count your calories for a while. You mentioned having kids as an excuse for not having time to do this. It literally takes less than 5 minutes a day if that to calculate.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    okkiee..i think steaknchop had a bad day so we shall all ignore his swearing yes indeed...it can seem very hard to gain weight sometimes the best advice is to really go all out in your compound movements(with help) squat deadlift kill it as for food focus around massive post work out meals if i were you very heavy starch and of course do not eat any grains EVER the more and more i research you can have no symptoms whatsoever and you can still be coeliac and itll mess things up...stick with sweet potatoes, rice squash lots of veggies..up your fat content high on non training days and lower it on training days to accomodate the higher carb ratio..it seems to be working very well for people in terms of energy strength and pure muscle mass gaining ...obv. u need to fiddle with stuff too...you can also try kefir or goats milk...but i always recommend taking a lactase pill if u do in the end tho it is finding the foods that work for you(and not jumping back onto legumes and grains they will just cause issues down the line) itll probably take u awhile again now becuz u ate the crap stuff and whether u feel it or not ur system is probably messed up again...be patient and itll come to u
    I didn't.....I just hope she does the right thing because if she doesn't everyday will be a bad day for her.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast