Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for those that feed pets raw diet page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Question for those that feed pets raw diet

Shop Now
    I have been exploring the option of changing both our 4 year old dog and new kitten over to a raw diet. They currently both eat a wet/kibble mix of grain-free commercial food. My question is this...my dog has never been a bone eater. He is completely indifferent to even the tastiest looking bones covered in basting. It is my understanding that bone consumption is paramount when feeding a raw diet, so I am looking for suggestions. Bone meal?
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Raw chicken with bones in Even as a non-bone eater, they're apparently tasty and easy to digest. Use wings or smaller bones at first just in case it's a texture think for him

So what is with the whole idea that you should NEVER feel animals chicken bones. You are always told that they WILL choke and die if you dare to feed them chicken bones.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

MissKiminy is offline Junior Member
    I asked the exact same question and apparently it's COOKED chicken bones that splinter and cause problems for dogs... I am still too scared to try LOL

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    They do bones just fine.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    If you give your dog say, a quarter chicken, the bones WILL get eaten. Don't give your dog giant shank bones.

About the concern over bones, like another poster mentioned, it is the cooked bones that become brittle and can cause injury. Raw bones are soft and will be easily broken down in the stomach.

Case in point: cats are superb vomiters, it's like a super power. Whenever one of my cats has vomited up comes a slurry of very fine bone fragments.

If you're switching to raw meat you will neat to include organs as well. Liver is especially important for Vitamin A, and if you don't have access to brain and eyes, vitamin E from fish oil is important.

Don't grind anything- that negates the dental benefits of shearing a large piece of meat with bone-in and can lead to systemic health issues.

Ah, cooked bones, that makes sense. He might do bones that he can chomp up easily, that would be a good place to start. How much do you feed your animals per day? I have read different things like 2-3% of their bodyweight...does that include the bone weight also?

ETA - my pup weighs in at 45 lbs.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member

Smartass99 is offline Junior Member
    Hey supersellen,

I fed my dogs raw for about a year with GREAT success. It just became a bit much for me to manage with a career transition, grad school, and separating from a significant other (the helping me manage it part, not emotional or anything). ANYWAY, I loved feeding raw and what it did for my puppies!

One thing that you should know, if you don't already, is that there are basically 2 schools of thought for raw. One is Prey Model Raw (PMR, aka "Raw Meaty Bones"), which is the most simplistic and practical method to feeding raw. I really prefer it and side with the reasoning behind the feeding methods. The other is BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food). This method incorperates stuff like veggies, yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, etc. into the diet. I do not really know much about that diet.

I ask that you visit the forum on "Dog Food Chat dot Com" for the details, but I'll give you the quick start guide:

For whichever animal (dog or cat), feed 10% of body weight *UNTIL* that amount matches 2-3% of your pet's IDEAL ADULT BODY WEIGHT. This figure will be a starting point, so you'll play with it based on your pet's frame (i.e. is he/she getting pudgy or looking emaciated or JUST right).

Start out with chicken quarters, chicken necks, or chicken drumsticks (depending on size of pet and availability). This part is pretty crucial as chicken is easy on their stomach and the bony part will give them the "fiber" they need. The quarters even have a little piece of organ in there, which you'll introduce later. I fed a chihuahua drumsticks to start off for example, and she did JUST fine. You can feed 1x/day, 2x/day, every other day... Whatever matches your schedule. Just adhere to the guidelines as to how much weight to feed them, especially if you let them binge and feed every other day.

Meat/Bone/Organ ratio should be about 8:1:1. The way I managed this was to calculate how much food I fed per week (45*.03*7 =9.45 for your dog). Now 10% of that is .95, or roughly 1 lb. That's the amount of organ you should be feeding per week once you fully integrate it. Just add a little bit per week until everything is stable. The "icky" part about this diet is that you have to monitor the poop... That's where the bone part comes in. Too runny, more bone. Too hard (sometimes can come out crumbly... it's weird), less bone. A case of explody butt right after organs... less organs.

Start integrating variety slowly... Usually I see chicken, turkey, pork, beef, fish. Maybe 2-3 weeks between each variety, and then constantly change it once fully integraded.

PM me if the mods delete the website reference, but the forum board I referenced has a WEALTH of knowledge and lots of very experienced Raw feeders.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    Great site, thanks! I am trying to work out the best approach for occasions like backpacking trips, etc...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast