Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein Shakes page

HeWhoIsAaron is offline Junior Member

Protein Shakes

Primal Fuel
    Hey I'm a newbie at all this (I've been posting a bunch of questions the past few days) and I appreciate all the help and insight!

I've been perusing the forum and books and i've seen protein shakes come up now and then. Are these a viable option? Quick meal-to-go, snack, substitute? Or should they be avoided? If they're good to go, any good brands to recommend?

Thanks,

Aaron

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    hey there, Im new myself but Ive read the Primal Blueprint and Ive started on Robb Wolfe's book.

As I understand it protein shakes are ok, just make sure you check the ingredients are all paleo friendly. You can buy Mark Sisson direct from the site but frankly its expensive. I use Dymatize all natural protein, mix it with almond milk and coconut milk, its delicious! Awesome post or pre workout meal. If I need the extra fat I sometimes put half an avocado in and chuck it all in the blender. Man that hits the spot after an intense workout

dado Guest
    Yea, they're viable, but they're far from necessary. You'll go far with whole foods. No one needs supplements, maybe elite people do, but you're not elite, you're average if you're here, asking about protein shakes.

I used to do the protein shake, but then I became wise to happenings.

For example, most mornings I boil 6 to 8 eggs and just pop one or two whenever I remember. This way I never get sick of them and I get a ton of protein. Boom, what's 6 or 8 eggs, at 6 or 8 grams of protein per? That's a minimum of 36 and a max of 64 grams. Boom, that's like half your day of protein, then you eat a chicken breast, some nuts. That's it. Why waste money on protein shakes? Drink a glass of milk.

I drink milk post workout, no problem, down half a gallon. Your goals might be different, I'm just saying.

The best protein powders are very expensive, more than I'm willing to justify. And the cheaper ones are shit.
    Last edited by dado; 09-30-2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: I added last line

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Don't use them at all. Unnecessary.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    totally unnecessary, but for me, a total non-breakfast eater, a nice option. definitely depends on your goals. And yes the best options are expensive (very few ingredients, grass fed sources, stevia sweetened or unsweetened, etc) and the cheap ones are junk. To the extent you can do without you are probably better off without.

Good Luck on your journey. (p.s. it really helps to read Mark's book, it contains many nuances not found on the forums, and often the opinions in the forums do not coincide with Mark's)
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

HeWhoIsAaron is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    (p.s. it really helps to read Mark's book, it contains many nuances not found on the forums, and often the opinions in the forums do not coincide with Mark's)
    I'm about halfway through and loving it!

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    For bulk orders you can get a decent deal from the website true protein. I think my whey concentrate was roughly $7 per pound. You definitely don't need protein shakes or powders for optimum health, though. Mostly those things are designed for athletes and body builders.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I drink a protein shake after I life heavy things. I generally just mix it with almond milk and/or water.

I don't have a fancy brand... I just grabbed whichever one from Whole Foods that had the least offensive list of ingredients.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    There are people who are allergic to eggs, though, and need an alternate protein source occassionally.
    Indigogirl

Bear is offline Senior Member
    I'm intrigued by some information suggesting that whey protein can be an effective mood leveler. Read an article last night about the benefits...very interesting...and I can attest it seems the case. However, I have also had a couple of episodes (that may not be protein shake related, but...) where I drank a shake with 20g of protein after an intense workout in the afternoon, and woke up at 1 AM that night in a state of lightheadedness and what felt like anxiety. I suspect a possible link to the protein intake that late in the day...may have been too much?

Still...the protein shake is probably the only way I can get to the level of protein I need without stuffing myself. More input would be appreciated! Still fine-tuning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast