Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! What am I doing wrong? page

balanced is offline Member

Help! What am I doing wrong?

Primal Fuel
    Have been primal for about 6 weeks and having hard time figuring out why I have gained about 3 lbs. I know this may sound trivial but when you are small framed to begin with every pound is noticable. So, I started entering my food intake on sparkspeople and noticed that I am getting 50% of my daily calorie intake from fat. Is this too much?? I eat eggs, avacado, salmon, beef, bison, nuts and tons of veggies; occassional greek yogurt (is this allowed?) some goat cheese or cheddar cheese daily, very little dairy, fruit and no sugar or grains. My daily calorie intake is approx 1500-1600. I am a fairly active 37 yr old mom of 3 young kids, I am a yoga and pilates instructor/personal trainer. I weight train 2x a week and have cut back on my cardio due to overuse injury. I swim, jump rope or do plyos as a sprint workout 1x a week. I get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. I am 5'3" and weigh 108lbs....I feel and function my best at 105ibs. Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Too much fat?? Not enough total calories? Do I need more carbs? Totally frustrated!!! Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    What kind of diet were you eating before to maintain your weight?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    50% calories by fat is not too much. Nuts and dairy are considered prime suspects for impeding weight loss, so you may want to drop those for a while. Especially the cheese and nuts.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    ...muscle gain from a sudden gain in protein consumption?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Experiment with a few things, one at a time, to see what will work. I dropped regular nut consumption and resumed weight loss within days. Dairy is also off-limits (except kefir for some reason) as it seems even lactose-free stuff messes with my nasal congestion. Otherwise, your diet looks pretty good. If anything, you could try eating more as a variable, but that's not always it. Even just adding extra scoops of fat to dinner can help.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by balanced View Post
    Have been primal for about 6 weeks and having hard time figuring out why I have gained about 3 lbs. I know this may sound trivial but when you are small framed to begin with every pound is noticable. So, I started entering my food intake on sparkspeople and noticed that I am getting 50% of my daily calorie intake from fat. Is this too much?? I eat eggs, avacado, salmon, beef, bison, nuts and tons of veggies; occassional greek yogurt (is this allowed?) some goat cheese or cheddar cheese daily, very little dairy, fruit and no sugar or grains. My daily calorie intake is approx 1500-1600. I am a fairly active 37 yr old mom of 3 young kids, I am a yoga and pilates instructor/personal trainer. I weight train 2x a week and have cut back on my cardio due to overuse injury. I swim, jump rope or do plyos as a sprint workout 1x a week. I get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. I am 5'3" and weigh 108lbs....I feel and function my best at 105ibs. Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Too much fat?? Not enough total calories? Do I need more carbs? Totally frustrated!!! Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!!
    Stressing out about nothing. You are at a healthy weight. Even on the slim side of healthy. Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    50% calories by fat is not too much. Nuts and dairy are considered prime suspects for impeding weight loss, so you may want to drop those for a while. Especially the cheese and nuts.
    Thanks for this suggestion. Will try to cut out nuts and dairy (ouch!!)....starting to feel deprived already! Is greek yogurt okay? I love the huge serving of protien it gives me but it is considered dairy. Can you suggest other great sources of protien for me that arent so loaded with fat? I've been told protien shakes....don't think Grok was mixing up protien cocktails in his cave. How bout fat?? Can you eat too much where you may see a weight increase.....afterall a calorie is a calorie?! How many grams of protien should I aim for each day?
    Okay, enough questions right?!

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by balanced View Post
    Is this a snark? 3 pounds? Donít eat tomorrow and workout enough to sweat. Youíll be back down by Sunday.

Snark? I realize 3lbs may be trivial to most however I don't want to continue on this path of weight gain since I have been making every effort to maintain a strict PB diet.....that is my frustration. Can you help with any of the other questions I posted above to jammies?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can gain and lose about eight pounds in a day. Don't even think about worrying about 3 pounds. The worrying will cause you to gain more weight than the reality. You are getting healthier. Get used to it and calm down.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast