Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: protein vs. fat page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

protein vs. fat

I noticed when I made the primal hot cereal from marks 30 min recipes, it really filled me up. Is this mainly from the fat (1/4C of coconut milk, and handful each of almonds and cashews)? In a nutshell then, does protein act mainly to feed your muscles, and fat is your source of energy? I always thought that protein fills you up, but now I'm thinking it is fat that does the job better.

So if I snack (i know this isn't encouraged) should I just eat some coconut ice cream? Or some other high fat food?
    I might experiment at night when I get cravings to have a tablespoon or two of olive oil and see if it curbs my cravings.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Fat not only fills you up, but your body very quickly tells you stop eating as soon as it senses you ate enough. And believe me, its a strong urge to stop eating, and yes, the body is fed.

If you are getting cravings, chances are you are not eating enough fat. Next time have olive oil with your dinner, then you shouldn't even get cravings at night...

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Fat not only fills you up, but your body very quickly tells you stop eating as soon as it senses you ate enough. And believe me, its a strong urge to stop eating, and yes, the body is fed.

If you are getting cravings, chances are you are not eating enough fat. Next time have olive oil with your dinner, then you shouldn't even get cravings at night...
    I haven't been 100% primal, but have significantly reduced my carb intake (pretty much no grains or legumes in my diet) and get these terrible headaches at night. I'm hoping this is just a side effect. Didn't think my body would respond like that to eating better.

Really didn't know this about fat filling you up. You always hear about protein and fiber filling you up which is what my diet was mainly based on (with turkey, chicken and lean meats).

hopefully I'm not taking too much fat in all at once. My mom has dizzy spells, migraines, and acid reflux problems and told her to write down what she eats, and I'm seeing about 10-15g of fat in her diet on a daily basis. Trying to get her to eat more fat but she isn't much of a believer...yet!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    I haven't been 100% primal, but have significantly reduced my carb intake (pretty much no grains or legumes in my diet) and get these terrible headaches at night. I'm hoping this is just a side effect. Didn't think my body would respond like that to eating better.

Really didn't know this about fat filling you up. You always hear about protein and fiber filling you up which is what my diet was mainly based on (with turkey, chicken and lean meats).

hopefully I'm not taking too much fat in all at once. My mom has dizzy spells, migraines, and acid reflux problems and told her to write down what she eats, and I'm seeing about 10-15g of fat in her diet on a daily basis. Trying to get her to eat more fat but she isn't much of a believer...yet!
    How is your water intake? It is easy to get a little dehydrated when you start a primal diet which causes headaches - so lots of water. You could also need more magnesium if the water doesn't help.

Fat is what triggers satiety for me the best.

I normally drink a ton of water, but I made need to up that. good suggestion! Would I just take a magnesium supplement? What is the benefit of magnesium (other than helping with headaches)? Is it like a natural advil?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I had a lot of fat initially, but after 14 weeks of PB, I'm cutting back a bit as I noticed my fat loss stalled. All back on track now though. I would try 1-3 teaspoons of coconut oil daily. Should help you feel full.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    I noticed when I made the primal hot cereal from marks 30 min recipes, it really filled me up. Is this mainly from the fat (1/4C of coconut milk, and handful each of almonds and cashews)? In a nutshell then, does protein act mainly to feed your muscles, and fat is your source of energy? I always thought that protein fills you up, but now I'm thinking it is fat that does the job better.

So if I snack (i know this isn't encouraged) should I just eat some coconut ice cream? Or some other high fat food?
    I might experiment at night when I get cravings to have a tablespoon or two of olive oil and see if it curbs my cravings.
    Per gram, fat is the winner at 9 calories. Proteins and carbs have roughly 4 calories per gram. So if you're reaching for satiety fast, fat is the winner, hands down.

Here's the deal though: fats are necessary for proper transportation of vitamins and minerals around the body. Fat also makes it possible to absorb elements like calcium. Protein is necessary for building muscle, and for long-term energy (the latter of which fat also accomplishes).

For a much more detailed break-down of proteins and fats, I recommend two distinctly awesome books (I mean, aside from Mark's book, that is):

1. Good Calories, Bad Calories by, Gary Taubes
    2. Protein Power by, Drs. Michael R. Eades & Mary Dan Eades

More, like wildwabbit has noted, fat encourages the release of leptin, which signals your brain that you are full (Robb Wolf has a helpful section on this in his book The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet). And if you have enough fats, you will reach satiety faster, and therefore not have to eat as much or as often, and still receive all the benefits of full-on eat-a-thons. Just be sure to balance your mono-, poly-, and saturated fats. All of them are crucial and convey different benefits.

Oh, and if you're working out, it's generally good to injest 1g of protein per pound of body weight. For me, that's 184g of protein because I weigh 184 lbs. Some may disagree with me on that; they may think it too high, others too low. In any case, it works for me, so it may work for you, too.

Cheers!
    Kane
    Last edited by Kane Augustus; 09-29-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Bacon

davem is offline Senior Member
    Best thing about fat, when you eat too much, your body will react like a goose!
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

hopefully I'm not taking too much fat in all at once. t she eats, and I'm seeing about 10-15g of fat in her diet on a daily basis. Trying to get her to eat more fat but she isn't much of a believer...yet!
    Oh no, sticking with only lean meats is not good. The body needs fat and lots of it. You need to be getting the majority of your calories from fat. And its not really possible to take in too much all at once. Your body WILL tell you to stop and you will lose all urge to eat further. This assumes you aren't consuming excess carbs which WILL interfere with your body's ability to sense it is has consumed enough, much less blood sugar fluctuations which WILL drive you to be hungry sooner, so best control your carb intake by replacing them with fats. As for lean meats and carbs together, they do nothing for you whatsoever unless you are doing post-workout carb/protein refeeds.

Get used to eating fat, really. Bacon if you can eat pork. Eggs, cooked or raw. Heavy cream on top of berries (yum my favorite!). Fatty cuts of steak and pork, as much fat as possible. Drench that salad in olive oil! Eat whole sticks of butter if you can (you can't, your body won't let you) or at least saute veggies in it. More butter more bacon. You get the idea.

And keep carbs under 400 calories, how low you want to go is up to you depending on your weight loss goals (if any). But stick with safe starches like white rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes if you aren't nightshade intolerant, etc...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Best thing about fat, when you eat too much, your body will react like a goose!
    Damn straight. I ordered 8oz moist brisket today (not dry meat, but moist from surrounding fat rendering into it) with the fatty outer layers still attached. I didn't eat for 8 hours before this, but when I got halfway through the delicious brisket (like in 3 minutes), my body said "stop not hungry now". The "fuel cutoff switches" work damn good once off the SAD diet and onto a real way of eating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast