Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: protein vs. fat page 2

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    so taubes mentions in his book "why we get fat" that the whole "calories in/calories out" motto is pretty much crap. I haven't finished the book but fat has quite a bit of calories. So is he basically saying (like you guys have said) that fat fills you up so fast that it doesn't matter how many calories it has because you will stop before having too many calories? This type of diet really is interesting and intrigues me. I hope to get the answer though one day as to whether there should be a limit as to how much fat you should take in a day before you possibly could do harm. I imagine until you are full, but still am curious as I've heard too much protein affects the liver adversely.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    You've heard too many things as it is that negatively affect your eating such as too much protein is bad and all fat is bad and carbs are good, when its the other way around.

I really don't think there is a limit on fat intake - your body is too good at telling you to stop. Whereas, there are limits all around on carb intake because THOSE are the ones that harm you in so many ways its unbelievable.

How else do you think our grandparents generation got their calories and stayed thin most of their lives up until the recent decades where carbs and the evil vegetable oils became king ? Fats and animal oils.

Glad you are rereading, asking questions, and even expanding reading material....
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 09-30-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    so taubes mentions in his book "why we get fat" that the whole "calories in/calories out" motto is pretty much crap.
    It's not that it's crap. It's that it is meaningless because it doesn't answer to why in/out works the way it does. The issue is the quality and kinds of food you're ingesting, not the fact that you are ingesting (which is all in/out means).

I haven't finished the book but fat has quite a bit of calories. So is he basically saying (like you guys have said) that fat fills you up so fast that it doesn't matter how many calories it has because you will stop before having too many calories?
    Somewhat, yes. Obviously people can over-indulge, but then we enter into the possibility of psychological matters. Healthy functioning bodies, or people who are focused on having healthy functioning bodies, will respond to their fat intake by stopping eating once satiety is reached. And the fact that the body is a brilliant regulator is assurance that you will be notified of satiety once you reach it: that's one of the primary functions of the fat hormone, leptin.

This type of diet really is interesting and intrigues me. I hope to get the answer though one day as to whether there should be a limit as to how much fat you should take in a day before you possibly could do harm. I imagine until you are full, but still am curious as I've heard too much protein affects the liver adversely.
    Well, if it interests you to have an answer to how much fat before one is harmed, that's fine. Personally, I try to keep my fat intake to roughly 40% of my dietary interests. After that, protein at 40%, and carbs at 20%. Sometimes the ratios vary, and I'm not sure if that is strictly primal or paleo or what have you. In any case, it works well for me, and I feel well eating that way.

Cheers!
    Kane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12