Thread: Greetings! page

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

So, I'm Sarah, & I'm new around here. I've been reading MDA for about a year now, & although my diet has become much healthier during that time, I'm only just now taking the plunge to go primal. I lost about 15 pounds last fall, but I've another 90 or so to lose before I hit a healthy weight for my height (5'5").

I grew up in a family obsessed with food, so thankfully I know how to cook just about anything, but we ate all the wrong foods. Lots of pasta, rice, & processed foods were in our fridge & pantry, & although we had a large garden & bought a lot of local (albeit probably grain-fed) meat, we ate far too much of it & always went back for more. As it is, I'm the smallest member of our family, & that's a sad commentary on my family's health.

Over the past year I've focused on eating more "whole" foods, & paying attention to the ingredients of everything else. I cut HFCS out of my life over the summer, & I've not had a sugar low since! Now I'm ready to bid grains adieu forever. I'm rather enjoying the stir-frys I've been whipping up for breakfast & lunch, & I've made several "Italian" dishes so far by substituting veggies & meat for pasta. Delicious, & I don't miss the pasta at all!

The hardest part of this lifestyle shift is going to be working out - right now I live in NE Ohio, & we've got about a foot of snow. No chance of walking outside or sprinting, but I promise I'll be hopping on my exercise bike for some light cardio. Hopefully I'll be moving to sunnier climes in the next year, so I can hike & bike & do all those wonderful outdoorsy things year 'round!

I look forward to getting healthy with all the rest of the Apples!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

OrangeGirl is offline Junior Member

Hi Saffron! I totally agree with you about the difficulties in working out ... I live in northeastern Ohio as well! I live in Wayne County. Lots of farms but not a lot of hiking trails. Cmon, I know you wanna get out there in all that snow we just had!

I just started doing the primal thing last week. Maybe we can find a good primal friendly lunch place sometime!

Katt is offline Senior Member

Welcome, both of you.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

OrangeGirl is offline Junior Member

Thanks Katt! Never felt better :]

Asturian is offline Senior Member

Last edited by Asturian; 09-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement! Orangegirl, I'm over in Trumbull County. It'd be fun to meet up sometime!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

It's a good thing you know how to cook – it's half the battle making your food as tasty as possible– PB has got the nutrition part covered :]

I, on the other hand, am a horrible cook so I sometimes struggle with being creative in the kitchen! But luckily you can't go wrong with simple, healthy, quality ingredients so I don't have too much trouble :P

The best of luck, Sarah!