Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bananas & Bread: Real foods? page

MonkeyGuy is offline Member

Bananas & Bread: Real foods?

Primal Fuel
    I was just reading a paleo blog, and I noticed in the guy's bio that he ripped "bananas and bread" as not being "real foods".

Now, I agree about bread. It's processed food.

But bananas? How is this not a real food? I'm totally confused on this. I eat about a banana a day. They go really well with lots of things. I feel fine after I eat them, I'm not fat, and I'm in good health. Should I be concerned about bananas? If so why?
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    They have high sugar content.

Most of the bananas seen in the U.S. are genetically identical, which means they are ripe for a blight to wipe them out. Banana seeds are incredibly rare.

They are often sprayed with a fungicide (or some other chemical) that is sticky and makes my lips numb and swell if I get it on me. Not exactly sure what it is. Buying organic has solved this for me.

Umm... It might be a neolithic agricultural product, but there are still a few handfuls of wild varieties that aren't quite the same.

I guess I don't really know, and I'm just rambling now.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about bananas, but then I don't worry about goat cheese, either. :-)

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    if you're feeling fine I wouldn't worry. half the sugar in bananas seem to be starch, which in paleo world seems to be gaining more acceptance.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGuy View Post
    I eat about a banana a day. They go really well with lots of things. I feel fine after I eat them, I'm not fat, and I'm in good health. Should I be concerned about bananas? If so why?
    LOL...no you shouldn't be concerned about bananas. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Bananas are delicious, nutritious, filling, and are one of the cheapest things you can eat.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I love bananas. Yes they are a real food and absolutely primal/paleo. (Just don't eat 30 of them in a day )
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I ate one today as part of my post-workout meal along with some coconut water and jerky. Beats a chemical-laden protein bar thing any day!

Bananas are real and primal and lovely.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Paleobird Guest
    I had these bananas in Africa that were red skinned with orange colored flesh. Oh Nom. Nobody is going to tell me that that is not primal.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are awesome. I used to eat nine or ten in a sitting. Not too keen on doing that anymore, but I'll still have three in a day on occasion.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Love them - with cream!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast