Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding gluten free pasta products page

SherryTX is offline Junior Member

Arrow Question regarding gluten free pasta products

Primal Fuel
    Hey there - I have been struggling, though a few months ago was doing fairly decent eating more primal. I wasn't following it a 100% even then, but it made a difference in how I felt and I experience weight loss.

Anyway, I recently quit smoking a few weeks ago, and it is a lot harder for me to eat in a primal manner. I also have been uber stressed and under time constraints with work and family obligations so we have reverted too much back into eating out, delivery and fast food. Or else just highly processed crap.

Last night I made tortellini for the first time in months. I adore tortellini, and honestly, I was planning on keeping this on a cheat list so I could still have it every few months as a special treat.

There are some gluten free pasta products, including tortellini that I have found online. They appear to be made from rice and corn. Though both grains, its my understanding they are not as bad for you as wheat, etc.

I am curious if anyone here ever eats gluten free pasta products? And general thoughts? It may fall under highly processed, and of course I know it isn't ideal, but I am kinda looking for some lessor evils here. I haven't bought bread in months, though I have given in to the family and bought some bagels here and there. We do buy cereal, but usually only Gluten free chex and sometimes Kix, and rarely as a special treat one of the other cereals we use to get. Its just really hard not to have that stuff available.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Carbs is carbs. Nope. Don't eat them.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    As a treat now and then, I will eat some (my partner makes a GF lasagna with rice pasta for me 3-4 times a year). But I wouldn't make it a staple. Also, are you eating those cereals often? I know they're handy, but that daily serving of grains isn't a great idea, even if they are gluten free, unless you are active enough to need the extra carb intake in the form of white rice.

I know quitting smoking can be hard, and I think that's the most important thing you can do right now for your health. One priority at a time. At the same time, your body has to do a lot of healing as part of the quitting process, so adding immune system stress by eating a lot of grains is maybe not a great idea. Good nutrition is pretty important when you're quitting so that your body can start repairing the damage from the smoking.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I'll eat rice pasta or quinoa pasta every now and then as a post-workout meal. I only use it then though. If you aren't depleting your muscle glycogen (by lifting) there really isn't a good reason to eat a lot of carbohydrates, especially if you need to lose fat. But, you didn't specify so I am guessing.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I eat quite a bit of rice noodles whether I'm making spaghetti or a quick bowl of pho. I don't eat any of the junk like dreamfields, or jerusalem artichoke flour noodles, but rice noodles are pretty okay in my book. However, if you are really overweight and still trying to lose pounds, you should probably make this a pretty rare food.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to eat gf pasta, I'd go for the rice. It's pretty innocuous where there are a lot more people that have issues with corn. I think it's fine once in awhile especially if you keep the portions reasonable. Definitely better after a hard workout. But like others are saying, it's not a great choice if you're trying to lean out.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Even the best GF pasta isn't anything like real pasta. It always just ends up making me feel deprived.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    Even the best GF pasta isn't anything like real pasta. It always just ends up making me feel deprived.
    You're wrong. The rice pasta I've eaten in the past is better than wheat pasta in my opinion as well as the rest of my family. It is sold by a company called Tinkyada and is available in Whole Foods where we live.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the Tinkyada is probably the best I've found as a substitute for standard pasta. It's a brown rice noodle (so the issues around brown vs. white rice apply). The white rice ones are awesome for Asian dishes, but yeah, they don't work as well as a replacement in Italian dishes as the Tinkyada. Of course, I've been celiac for a few years now, so my memory of regular pasta is pretty faded by now.

And yeah, I save my rice noodle indulgences mostly for pho--there's an awesome pho place about 10 blocks from my house, so sometimes I wander over for a bowl. Sooooooo goooooood.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I eat quite a bit of rice noodles whether I'm making spaghetti or a quick bowl of pho. I don't eat any of the junk like dreamfields, or jerusalem artichoke flour noodles, but rice noodles are pretty okay in my book. However, if you are really overweight and still trying to lose pounds, you should probably make this a pretty rare food.
    I don't eat that much GF pasta because it doesn't really occur to me. But rice isn't all that bad for you, really - it's just empty carb calories, which if you work out a lot, is really needed. It's one of the areas where Paleo doesn't match the science all that well. Occasional rice just isn't bad for you.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast