Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orthorexia page 2

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Under those criteria, anyone who does weekly menu planning and decides not to eat dessert because they don't want to gain weight would qualify as orthorexic. I think there is such a thing, but those criteria are entirely too vague to meet something like the DSM or WHO style of criteria for a mental illness. With that list, you could shoehorn pretty much anyone who does not eat with utter abandon into a diagnosis.

It's like the difference between the common practice of exercising as a weight loss strategy and the kind of obsessive exercise seen in some people with anorexia/bulimia--we don't put an ordinary exerciser in the same category as someone who's using it as a purging strategy. Orthorexia is a genuine problem, but not all health-conscious people are orthorexic.

I agree that this list is haphazard and doesn't really get to the heart of the matter.

If you know you have to eat out a lot during a week and you choose to eat only unseasoned steaks or chicken and salads with lemon juice or vinegar, forgoing all of the bread and appetizers, then everyone else may think you are orthorexic. You're not. If you have a panic attack and don't eat anything for days except the homemade jerky you brought because the meat in restaurants is not grassfed and the lettuce is not organic, then you may have a problem.

June is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your replies and I plan to watch that video when I'm at home. I think it might just be part of my personality.... very Type-A, engineer, etc. You know the type and that is me.

Okay so maybe it's not a disease but with that said, I do get anxiety eating out (drinking helps of course, but this weekend no one drinks except me so I won't). Sometimes during a meal out with family, especially if it is running long, I really have a difficult time relaxing enough to enjoy it. First, sometimes we go to this place where they don't have salads and don't offer a veggie side dish - it is so unhealthy it is insane! Also, it is difficult for me to sit there and watch people I love eating all that crap in massive amounts and everything like that. It really gets my mind spinning into a negative place and definitely stressed my relationships with people and food. (They don't try to force foods on me anymore which is good. I think I finally cried once when they did that and so they stopped.) Does anyone else get thoughts like that or is it just me?

The other day I was reading Mark's travel menu (in the book or online, I can't remember) and saw what he ate at restaurants and it did make me feel better and bring me some relief to see that he eats a salad at Friday's where they cook it in soybean oil and use low-quality ingredients and everything.

I've pretty much been obsessed with health (mostly nutrition with less focus on exercise) for the past 8 years so it's not like this is a fleeting thing in my world. Maybe I should focus more on exercise now that I think about it. When I exercise it does tend to help my mental fog become more clear and I do relax better. I think I'll try that. Go for a long walk with some sprints and such while I'm away.

End rant thank you cyber space

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Those who have mentioned the quality of life caveat have hit the nail on the head - along with comparing exercising and portion control versus clinical anorexia. Orthorexia isn't actually in the DSM yet, which is why you'll sometimes come across definitions too vague to be useful. (Of course, the other side of that particular coin can be seen in the DSM's definition of anorexia, which includes amenorrhea for three consecutive months - never mind that she's 70 pounds and can't even touch the outside of a bottle of olive oil for fear of gaining weight, Aunt Flo is still visiting.)

June is offline Senior Member
    Okay, if I had to answer the question "does this effect my quality of life?" then the answer is yes, it does negatively impact my quality of life. However, it also enriches my quality of life because I truly enjoy reading and learning and sharing. So I guess it is a wash then

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I think it is kind of necessary to be orthorexic to be paleo. Not eating grains (barring an allergy) is orthorexic IMO.

Legbiter is online now Senior Member
    Do you care more about the virtue of what you eat than the pleasure you receive from eating it? If the answer is yes, then I'd watch it in case your lifestyle crosses into OCD territory. Didn't we have a guy here who eats everything raw, disdains protein and plans to live on seaweed for a year? Yeah, basically don't be that guy.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudenveri View Post
    Those who have mentioned the quality of life caveat have hit the nail on the head - along with comparing exercising and portion control versus clinical anorexia. Orthorexia isn't actually in the DSM yet, which is why you'll sometimes come across definitions too vague to be useful. (Of course, the other side of that particular coin can be seen in the DSM's definition of anorexia, which includes amenorrhea for three consecutive months - never mind that she's 70 pounds and can't even touch the outside of a bottle of olive oil for fear of gaining weight, Aunt Flo is still visiting.)
    The DSM-V proposed criteria include removing amenorrhea from the diagnostic requirements, allowing for those women to still be included.

There has been some discussion around the 85% bodyweight requirement because a lot of people may meet all the other criteria but may not yet be that thin. Right now, those people would be ED-NOS, but they might not receive the same level of treatment or compassion with that diagnosis as someone would with an anorexia diagnosis, since anorexia is known to have a 10% mortality rate and is seen as a very serious illness, but many people don't understand what "not specified" means in terms of severity--ED-NOS still means a serious eating disorder.

ED-NOS is also the current diagnostic category for orthorexia as well as binge eating (although this will probably change in the DSM-V to separate binge eating disorder), chewing and spitting, and other forms of disordered eating. It's pretty broad.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Depending on how fast you define someone as orthorexic, this forum is full of those people. I mean not eating foods because they are detrimental to your health _IF YOU HAVE A RARE AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER_ is pretty damn orthorexic to me.

Legbiter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    Depending on how fast you define someone as orthorexic, this forum is full of those people. I mean not eating foods because they are detrimental to your health _IF YOU HAVE A RARE AUTOIMMUNE DISORDER_ is pretty damn orthorexic to me.
    Eh, that's in most cases just being slightly eccentric. Orthorexics as described cross over into psych ward material.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is my take on the questions in the OP.

Do they spend more than 3 hours a day thinking about healthy foods?
    If you spend this amount of time thinking about healthy foods, there probably is a problem.

When they eat the way they're supposed to, do they feel in total control?
    I don't really even know what "total control" means. This one kind of confuses me.

Are they planning tomorrow's menu today?
    This is completely normal for anyone on a diet. I don't think this should even be on here.

Has the quality of their life decreased as the quality of their diet increased?
    If this is true there is something VERY WRONG.

Have they become stricter with themselves?
    If you are on a diet being stricter might not be so bad.

Does their self-esteem get a boost from eating healthy?
    My self esteem boosts from eating healthy.

Do they look down on others who don't eat this way?
    If you answer yes to this there is something very wrong. If you look at some 400 pounder eating mcdonalds and look down on them, that is one thing. But if you see someone in good physical shape eating a muffin and look down on them there is something very wrong.

Do they skip foods they once enjoyed in order to eat the "right" foods?
    This is the definition of diet.

Does their diet make it difficult for them to eat anywhere but at home, distancing them from family and friends?
    I am on a diet and try to eat at home as much as possible. I wouldn't let this distance me from friends and family...but if my friends and family were constantly going out to eat I would have to draw the line somewhere.

Do they feel guilt or self-loathing when they stray from their diet?
    I do feel a bit guilty about eating off my diet when I'm not supposed to. I don't get depressed, I just try to pick up the next day and do better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast