Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active Vacation page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Active Vacation

Shop Now
    I just got back from an active vacation in the Domincan Republic. I posted a new blog with some fun primal workout video footage (click the link above).

Do you guys and gals work out on vacation?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

JHen is offline Member
    Next year my wife and I, and possibly my dad, are going on a vacation for 8-9 days to do the River-to-River trail in Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. 160 miles or so of moderate to difficult terrain. Some vacation lol. We're excited for it though.

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Some of my vacations centre around activity - i.e. a week-long hiking expedition in a rainforest or a cycling trip through/around some faraway country. But if I'm on vacation-vacation, I don't exercise. And I pay DEARLY for it when I get back into my regular routine once I get home. Ouch.

dado Guest
    what do you, take 4 month vacations? you shouldn't feel any loss in strength after just a few weeks of rest.

Duke363 is offline Junior Member
    I did a Minnesota Boundary Waters Canoe trip this summer and it was the epitome of 6 days of primal bliss. Lots of rowing, portaging the canoe and heavy backpacks over rough terrain, catching and eating fish, snacking on jerky, nuts, raisins, falling asleep at dusk and rising at dawn, taking a dip in the cold water, etc. Very few other people too. Though the area was rich in mosquitos that can bite right through clothing and 100% deet. Highly, highly recommended to anyone that loves the outdoors.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Every day is a vacation when you're Primal:-)

ErinC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    what do you, take 4 month vacations? you shouldn't feel any loss in strength after just a few weeks of rest.
    I was referring to pain (I thought the word OUCH covered that). Returning to exercise after a week or two of doing nothing hurts like a mofo.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    We tend to let the formal workouts slide, but we replace that with a lot of active fun. Our holidays usually involve lots of walking and hiking, snorkelling and SCUBA, climbing ruins and steep mountain trails, zip lines and cave exploration, horseback riding and cycling, swimming and boating, and sometimes things like high ropes courses. I see it as a chance to break out of the usual routines of scheduled, planned exercise that tend to be the norm in our day-to-day lives and just go out and enjoy a lot of active play instead.

I figure I get a lot of my strength training in just by hauling my pack on a lot of our trips. I have a great photo from our trip to India taken in a town in the Himalayas. It was near the end of our trip, so I had picked up a lot of treasures for people back home, and I was loaded down with my 60L pack, plus my daypack worn on my front and my camera and small shoulder bag slung off each side. Walking uphill to our hostel from the bus stand with that load was definitely work for the legs, with the added challenge of the high elevation.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone! Lots of inspiration in this thread!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I JUST got back from sailing in the Caribbean and this is the first thread I read. It was definitely a very active, as well as a very relaxing vacation. We got nipped by the outer, outer bands of Ophelia and our sail from the base to the island we were going to caused everyone except me and my iron stomach to get seasick in 6 to 8 foot seas. That meant I got to do all the sailing by myself while others were hunched over the lifelines losing their breakfasts. My husband, who is in real life a licensed captain who works on private yachts, was included. I found it exiting and kind of fun, plus I was proud of myself for being able to take care of the situation.
    Once we got to where we were going there was lots of fishing, snorkeling, swimming, laughing, cooking, exploring, and beach combing. I think I might have suffered a bit of whiplash when I was trying to body surf a wave into shore and got knocked silly by it instead. But it was super fun.
    I cannot even imagine a vacation spent passively waiting to be entertained.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast