Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to give birth? page

June is offline Senior Member

Question What is the best way to give birth?

Primal Fuel
    Should you use a medical center and all the drugs?

Try for a home birth?

What position - laying down or squatting?

In water?

Etc.

Do you all have experience with any of the alternative ways to give birth? Any tips or advice is requested.

(I'm not pregnant, just curious)

Yvonne PHX Guest
    All ways to get a baby out suck in different degrees.

I am a big proponent of natural childbirth. I also believe in as little intervention as possible. That said, interventions can often save the lives of mothers and babies. There is a place for them. For both of my children, I opted to be cared for by a Certified Nurse Midwife in a hospital setting. I would have loved to use a birth center if one was available to me. I would not have chosen a homebirth, but I believe they can be safe under the right circumstances.

My first baby was breech and big. I was living in NM, and my midwives were barred from delivering breech babies. The two docs in the state willing to try a vaginal delivery both agreed baby would be too big. She was delivered by c/s but I opted to go into labor spontaneously first. I hated everything about the c/s and I believe it caused a lot of hardship for breastfeeding. That said, my baby was delivered healthy, and that is what mattered.

My 2nd was an unmedicated VBAC in a hospital with a CNM attending. Everything about it was glorious. I was not separated from him for a second, nursing was terrific. The whole birth experience was exciting and exhausting and perfect. I wish I could have had both that way! Also, EVERYONE who came to visit in the first few days remarked how alert and strong my son was (already lifting his head and looking around). I think this had everything to do with him not being exposed to medications during the labor.

If you opt for a natural delivery, I highly recommend reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. I read just about every birth book out there, but it was the tips in this one that kept coming to mind when I was actually in labor. I owe so much of my beautiful experience to her wisdom!
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 09-29-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added info about book

mrsashton1993 is offline Junior Member
    The answers to your questions are really vary depending on the person giving birth. If you are healthy and baby is healthy and your personality is such that you would do a homebirth, that is probably the best. Homebirth is not for everyone. However, on the other end of the spectrum, CHOOSING a C/S and all the drugs is probably not best for anyone. The more interventions you choose, the more you will probably have to have. Yes, some people have to have C/S, I am not talking about them. Those drugs do have long term side effects for mom and baby. C/S has long term side effects for baby (for instance babies born by C/S tend to have more allergies, asthma, eczema, etc because they are not exposed to the immune boosting things in the birth canal or experiencing the stress hormones of going through the birth canal. There are certainly other factors (breastfeeding and nutrition), that is just an example). These would be things that you need to research, look at the studies, etc.

In terms of actual birth position, again it depends. In general, flat on the back is the hardest, but that is how one of my babies was born (at home) after trying many other positions that didn't work. My second was born on my hands and knees. Hands and knees did not work for my 3rd and he was born while I was laying on my side. Same mom, three babies, three different positions... all at home, unmedicated, all very different, but wonderful. Squatting is probably a great way to give birth, but when I was ready to push, being on my feet is not where I wanted to be. I have never done a water birth, but have labored in the tub, and that's the best thing in the world.

I would second Yvonne's book recommendation.

It's wise to think about these things before you need to.

jenni is offline Member
    I've had c-sections, hospital births with drugs, and home-births. The home-birth was by far the best experience for me. My home birth was also had a water-birth and it was soooo easy compared to my other births. I was also ready for it mentally, that is really important. You need to be relaxed, confident, and sure of yourself before you birth at home.

My last baby was a planned home-birth, but he ended up coming premature and I had to have a c-section due to hospital policy. Was not happy, but was glad for the neonatal team as he needed it.

Really it is a personal thing. For me, home birth is optimal, for others, the hospital is a comfort. There are too many factors to say this way is better than that way. You need to research and decide for yourself. Risk factors such as weight, and history also make a difference.
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

jenni is offline Member
    Oh, for me, laying flat on my back hurts and prolongs things! Hated that part of the hospital experience more than anything. I prefer sitting up. For my home, water birth, I birthed sitting up in the tub. Labor from start to finish was 3 hours with the last 30 minutes in the tub.
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    I assisted a friend who had a home water birth. She labored while pacing, delivered on all fours in a tub. It was hard, as all birth is, but smooth and everyone was very healthy.

If I were pregnant and healthy, I would have the baby at home with a tub or while squatting.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    interesting thread. I have always thought having a water birth would be the most comfortable, (but what do I know!?), when I bring it up people look at me like I have four eyes. I don't know that we will have kids, but if we do I would def. give it a try...
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

June is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. My fiance and I have been discussing this after I watched The Business of Being Born. He said he will watch it with me. He has never heard of anyone he knows have anything other than a hospital birth so I don't think he understands it. We have some Birthing Centers at local hospitals so I think that will be a great fit for us when the time comes, but I want to start planting the seeds that I don't want to do it like everyone else does. He has been involved in the room in 3-4 deliveries (friends and family) and I've never seen even one so he tends to think he is the expert on this compared to me. It is a good thing I'm the one having the baby then I guess I really don't think he would ever support a home birth, especially for our first, and I would likely be scared to do that also, but a birthing center seems right. I like thinking about this, it is fun, and I hope that all our pregnancies will be healthy and delivery will be as smooth as can be.

Thank you so much for the book recommendations!

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    I'm a birthing rights advocate- the best way is whichever way a mother is most comfortable.

For me, its at home with a hands-off midwife- basically she sits in the other room- I prefer physiological birth. I do what I need to do, push when I want to and catch my own baby.

I had a perfect home water birth with my second child. Our midwife was completely respectful of our wishes.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    June, check out the book Pushed by Jennifer Block.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast