Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to give birth? page 3

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni View Post
    Yes, it's amazing how you are treated as having an illness now, rather than just pregnant.

Someone mentioned the napoleonic complex nurses. Funny, with my second child I was trying to moan through the pain of each contraction and the nurse kept tapping my hand and telling me, "no noise Jennifer, no noise..." over and over. I remember looking up in desperation at my husband hoping he would shut her up. lol

This really depends on the hospital. I had chosen Nurse-Midwives for my VBAC. Thus, I was at a hospital that allowed and supported midwives. Because I was a VBAC, I was ready for a lot of intervention. What I received was a triage nurse that put me right into the tub rather than onto a monitor. They checked the baby's heartbeat once every hour until I was pushing. They allowed me to drink fruit juice, walk the halls, squat, whatever. The biggest intervention was a heplock in case I did need an emergency CS. I was more than happy to do this.

The L&D nurse introduced herself by saying, "I had both of my kids naturally and I really respect what you are doing." The environment was calm and supportive and there was an OR a few feet away if anything went wrong. I feel like I got the best of both worlds!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    It never even occurred to me that out of hospital births were an OPTION until I watched Business of Being Born. Thank GOD for that film. I'm four months along now and going the midwife/birthing center route. My midwife runs her practice out of a converted house and she has an MD come in for your two required MD visits. All visits and births happen right there, in a very homey environment (2 birthing rooms). Since it's my first, I'm a little too nervous to do it at home, 15 minutes or so from a hospital. The birthing center is just minutes away from the hospital. Provided things stay as normal as they have, this baby will be pushed out the way nature intended. Almost everyone I know 'had' to have interventions due to medical complications. Virtually *every* woman I know had complicated births? Or are hospitals just that good at talking moms into interventions "for the saftey of the baby." I wonder sometimes...I'm thankful that even if I have to give birth in a hospital, my midwife will still be there to help me advocate for myself.

My midwife will deliver some breech births, but not ever for a first time mom. So, my fingers are crossed that this kid knows how to 'head out' when the time comes!

Hospital births have their time and place in emergencies, but it's shocking how women have been convinced we suddenly can't handle childbirth and need pain meds and/or surgical interventions for uncomplicated, routine deliveries.

I'll give birth in whatever position is most comfortable for me....at my midwife's birthing center each room has a waterbirth option, but I hate to be cold and wet, so I can't see me doing that. But, she has just told me to keep my mind open b/c sometimes you just don't know what you're going to want.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 09-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    It does take all kinds... actually just two weeks ago my collegue went into labor here in the office! It was an insane day, she broke her water then a "plug" came out, (Internet... I do not have kids and will probably never so I don't know all the terminology ) we got her to the hospital and she waited for about an hour and a half to get an epidural and then it didn't "take" so they gave her more and then push, push it was done. (2nd baby for her), then out she went into a room. It seriously was like a factory and kind of weird to me, I like the idea of those birthing centers that are close to the hospital if I ever go down that path...
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    I have had 4 babies in various settings.

My first was born in a traditional hospital setting, stirrups and all. I didn't have any interventions or medication. I didn't feel like my baby was "mine" until I went home.

My second was born in a free standing birth center with a certified nurse midwife. It was a fantastic experience. I wasn't told when or how to push, I was able to birth in the position that felt comfortable for me and not the one that was most convenient for my care provider.

My third was born at home, in water. I loved having a home birth. I felt comfortable and safe and recovering in my own bed was much better than any hospital bed could ever be. Also, it was nice not to be bothered every 2 hours by hospital staff for vitals or whatever urgent thing that HAD to be done at 4 am.

For financial reasons my fourth baby was also born in a hospital but it was a completely different experience from my first. I had a midwife and I was able to labor how I wanted. I had a water birth, I wasn't separated from my baby and I wasn't given a complimentary "breastfeeding" bag full of formula samples and coupons.

I think the best way to give birth to a baby is the safest way. For most women this is outside a hospital setting, without all the interventions (IVs, continuous fetal monitoring, augmentation with pitocin, artificial rupture of membranes, epidurals, etc.). It also means birthing in an upright position, and not tugging on babies when they come out.

I think that the astronomical c-section rate in this country is sad. There's no way that one third of all babies NEED to be delivered by c-section. I also think that labor induction should be used only when babies are safer out than in. I think that doctors should stop using guilt and scare tactics to coerce women into agreeing to inductions and other unnecessary interventions.

As a previous poster said, the average hospital birth is rather factory-like. Women are forced to deal with animosity and opposition when they dare go against the "rules". The system, as it stands, needs a HUGE overhaul.
    ~Sandy

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Almost everyone I know 'had' to have interventions due to medical complications. Virtually *every* woman I know had complicated births? Or are hospitals just that good at talking moms into interventions "for the saftey of the baby." I wonder sometimes...
    I wondered, too, but then I noticed that a lot of the women I know watch BBD and read The Thinking Woman's Guide and take all the Hynpobirth classes but they are still ending up with interventions. Sometimes in the case of breeches (hardly any way around it), but often due to gestational diabetes and hypertension problems. How we eat IS making birth more dangerous.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you "should" do what you want to do, what is right for you and your context, what your needs are, and what will provide the best outcome for you.

i chose to have an unassisted pregnancy and unassisted homebirth.

jenni is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    This really depends on the hospital. I had chosen Nurse-Midwives for my VBAC. Thus, I was at a hospital that allowed and supported midwives. Because I was a VBAC, I was ready for a lot of intervention. What I received was a triage nurse that put me right into the tub rather than onto a monitor. They checked the baby's heartbeat once every hour until I was pushing. They allowed me to drink fruit juice, walk the halls, squat, whatever. The biggest intervention was a heplock in case I did need an emergency CS. I was more than happy to do this.

The L&D nurse introduced herself by saying, "I had both of my kids naturally and I really respect what you are doing." The environment was calm and supportive and there was an OR a few feet away if anything went wrong. I feel like I got the best of both worlds!
    I wish! All of the hospitals in the area I lived in were very rigid. My last had to be a c-section because my first baby had been a section and it was hospital policy. I was so upset and confused and angry. By the time they wheeled me into the operating room I was dialated 9cm and fully effaced Several years before that I had been allowed to do VBAC in that same hospital, but since the birth of my middle son and younger daughter the policy had changed. I was also not allowed to walk around or sit up due to the monitors and them not wanting to move it along since they were scrambling to find another hospital to take me as I was refusing the c-section. I finally caved. And regretted it. Xavier was born with fluid in his lungs and the ped. doc. was angry. He felt the lungs would have been expelled during normal birth and I was so happy to have someone on my side, albeit a bit late.
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

KatyNC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne PHX View Post
    Sometimes in the case of breeches (hardly any way around it), but often due to gestational diabetes and hypertension problems. How we eat IS making birth more dangerous.
    This could not be more true. As I was mentioning earlier, the patient demographic that we serve can be really sick at times with GDM/PIH/PreE/Ecclampsia. A lot of it can be traced back to diet and lifestyle. Like a diabetic patient drinking coke and eating vanilla wafers. HELLO!?!

Jodiemama is offline Junior Member
    Haven't read all the replies.

You should give birth where, with whom you feel comfortable and in whatever position works best for YOU.
    That just varies from person to person. Do your research and figure out what you want to do.

I went with what I feel in the safest option. I personally chose home birth. My first was to be a home water birth but that didn't work out and she was born on the bed. The pool was awesome for labor though.
    The second was born in the car in transit to the hospital. His heartbeat was dropping too low during a contraction. He was born and then we turned around and headed home.
    Both are happy and healthy and if I have another, it will be another out of hospital birth.

If I had privacy in my yard it would be cool to give birth outside, but I think having a baby in the car is as close as I'll come to that.
    Jodie~ Wife, Mother of two(7yrDD and 4yrDS), Home birthing,Homeschooling, Keeping Chickens in my backyard, and Getting Healthier!
    Our family has gone primal.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by keevelish View Post
    the best way is whichever way a mother is most comfortable.
    I agree.

I personally had an amazing homebirth experience (my only child), and I wholeheartedly believe my (50+ hour) birth would have been a cesarean if it were in 4 of the 5 hospitals in my area. (The 5th hospital has a much lower cesarean rate, and is very supportive and encouraging of natural birth.)

Anyway, its very much up to the mom. I think its wonderful when moms and dads are aware of the many options available.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast