Thread: Low Energy on Primal (Muay Thai training) page

guest80 is offline Junior Member

Low Energy on Primal (Muay Thai training)

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

Not too sure where to post this. I have been on Primal for over a month now - lost weight but need to lose a stone (6.3kg) before my fight in 5 weeks.

I train Muay Thai 4 x times a week (1.5hrs) in the evenings, sprint for 10mins in the morning 4 x times a week for fitness. I have noticed that my energy levels are really low when I'm training in the evenings.

This is my usual daily diet:

Breakfast: 2 x fried eggs (with butter) & a slice of Turkey
    Snack: Apple or Almonds
    Lunch: pineapple, grapefruit & greek yoghurt
    Dinner: cauliflower 'rice', veg & lamb burger
    After workout: Protein Shake

Any tips please as I feel like I'm not giving it 100% in training because of my lack of energy.

Thanks!!

runman1954 is offline Member
    Appears to me that your not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Lunch looks weak, especailly if your workingout in the evening. Honestly I believe workingout on an empthy stomach is much better. I would eat a heartier lunch which includes more protien then not eat again until at least 45 minutes to an hour after your evening workout.

I've lost 30 lbs since going primal, I fast once a week, almost never miss breakfast which usually involves 3 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon, and good size salad at lunch with either chicken or salmon and then dinner of chicken, port or beef with a healthy serving of veggies. I workout 4 - 5 days a week which only inclues one weight workout lasting 15 - 20 minutes (big 5 workout from Body by Science), I do one hard 20 minute interval session a week, and hike 4 miles once a week over hilly terrain with friends. Except for the hikes my workouts never last more then 20 - 25 minutes.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to make this assumption but are you female? even if you are, that's way too little food for the amount of training you do.

I also train muaythai, but not as often as you do, and I don't sprint as often (personally, I think you're sprinting too often. I would dial back to 2x a week max, your muaythai training is more important especially weeks away from fight time. Are your coaches aware of your sprinting routine? have they asked you to do it? you shouldn't do anything outside of what your trainers are asking of you. I would discuss this with them as you may be killing yourself and not giving enough when you should be (ie: during your muaythai training)

Anyway, back on point: EAT STARCH. Eat white potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, white rice etc. Save fruit for last, but do eat fruit, you need it for liver glycogen. You may be under the impression that you have to limit carbs, but you are an athlete, and 5 weeks away from fight time and you don't have too much weight to lose.

Do you eat after muaythai? if so, place most of your starchy carbs after your training, but do eat some before training as well (like the above poster said, give yourself at least two hours to digest. I can't step into the gym if I just ate, I need to be on a semi-empty stomach)

Lastly, talk to your trainers! do not, under any circumstance mention a "diet" or "paleo/primal" unless your trainers are already aware of it (and approve of it) because a trainer will most likely talk you out of it, as they don't want their fighters to be fucking around when they should be focusing on training. Just tell them "hey when do you think the best times to eat potatoes and stuff is? I'm worried that I may not be performing as well cus I haven't been eating them" and tell them about your activities outside the gym (sprinting, etc) if they are unaware of it. They may ask you to dial back some so that you're fresh for muaythai at nights.

Definitely eat more, post workout eat potatoes with lean protein, wake up to protein, lunch with protein as well. I'm talking eggs, chicken, steak, tuna... you seriously need to eat more meat I don't know how you haven't died yet.

Best of luck !

guest80 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you both for your advice!! I have just checked my daily food intake on fitday.com & I know I def need to up my intake - especially lunch I agree with you its weak.

@iniQuity I am female. No my trainer doesn't know about the sprints - I thought it would help build up my fitness, but your right I'm doing too much & burnt out when I'm training in the evening. I will cut it down & let him know what I'm doing outside of the usual training. He knows I'm on a low carb diet & isn't happy about it. Your right I was under the impression that I need to limit carbs - I was afraid of putting on weight. I will change my lunch to sweet potatoes, meat & veg. I just have a Protein shake after training (get home around 9pm)

Thanks again for your help

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by guest80 View Post
    Thank you both for your advice!! I have just checked my daily food intake on fitday.com & I know I def need to up my intake - especially lunch I agree with you its weak.

@iniQuity I am female. No my trainer doesn't know about the sprints - I thought it would help build up my fitness, but your right I'm doing too much & burnt out when I'm training in the evening. I will cut it down & let him know what I'm doing outside of the usual training. He knows I'm on a low carb diet & isn't happy about it. Your right I was under the impression that I need to limit carbs - I was afraid of putting on weight. I will change my lunch to sweet potatoes, meat & veg. I just have a Protein shake after training (get home around 9pm)

Thanks again for your help
    No problem, keep me posted on your progress and good luck come fight time. Chok dee nak muay!