Thread: a few questions page

canuckgrl13 is offline Junior Member

a few questions

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    I am new to primal and have been doing it for just two weeks and have already noticed some weight loss and definite mood change for the better.
    I haven't cut out aspartame yet but it will be quick to go, since I am starting to get headaches after I have it. I also haven't introduced grass fed meat but have just found a local butcher who has that so i'm excited to check that out.
    Anyways I have some questions about the diet,
    1) Since starting the diet, I am definetely not hungry as often so I often skip lunch...or will just have some carrots. Is this ok or should I trying to eat 3 times a day?
    2) How much veggies should I be eating? Is there a rule of thumb? I often eat a spinach and egg omlette with some uncured bacon in the morning, and then have lots of veggies with dinner, but I get full fast at dinner so Im just hoping im getting enough nutrients from veggies.
    3) What type of butter is the best to use?
    4) I haven't tried coconut oil yet but i really dont like coconut flavour, is it really strong?

Thanks for any replies!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    feel free to skip meals if you are not happy.

i'm not sure how much by cups, oz or whatever, but i eat about 20% of my diet in carbs, and htat's mostly veggies. sometimes as much as 25% of my daily calories.

we buy organic, salted butter. but i suppose unsalted is best. i don't really know.

I don't eat coconut oil myself. I just don't like the taste. to me, it has the taste of coconut, without the natural sweet. I really only use it for beauty (oil pulling for teeth, in my hair and skin).

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    I think it is just fine to skip a meal if not hungry- don't force yourself to eat unless you are... for example today I have eaten very little not hungry not going to press the matter which makes for a good fast

I try to eat as much as possible when it come to the veggie goodness. I like omelettes- you can definitely load an omelette up with all kinds of veggies. I always do some sort of salad at lunch with kale, spinach, green leaf lettuce or romaine again I add veggies sometimes fruit ( yum) I also use romaine lettuce leaves and eat chicken, tuna, and egg salads- I place the salad mixture into a few leaves to eat.

organic unsalted butter

coconut oil is mild I cant taste the coconut at all. I get the spectrum brand make sure the oil is expeller pressed

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

dado Guest
    1) eat whenever you're hungry, skip meals, it's all good

2) you're doing good with veggies, you can't really eat too many of those, it would be hard to

3) i just use the unsalted butter that comes as a rectangle

4) coconut oil isn't a must, so if you don't like it, it doesn't matter. i tried coconut milk when i first went primal and haven't had any since (6, 7 months now)

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    1. Eat if hungry; don't if not.
    2. Load up on the veggies. As a general rule of thumb, most of my plates are 3/4 (low glycemic index/lowerish carb) veggies.
    3. Kerrygold grass-fed butter is excellent and widely available now. Even Kroger carries it (in the expensive cheese section, near the deli). Trader Joe's, too. Whole Foods (of course).
    4. CO. You can get expeller pressed ("refined") CO that has no flavor or smell. It still has the lauric acid you want, and Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Coconut Cures (as well as other books on the mighty coconut) gives it his nod of approval.

Lookie here. Primo stuff:
    Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil - Tropical Traditions

Note the comments about how this particular company processes their CO.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates