Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Protien Diet is Bad, mmm kay? page

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member

High Protien Diet is Bad, mmm kay?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, many of you know already, but my husband has been wanting to try the PB. He has not lost any weight and he's taking a class at the gym on nutrition and weight loss. The teacher talked today about how high protien diets are bad; he only needs x amount (can't remember the number, but it wasn't huge). Anyhow, he's frustrated because he has gained two pounds since starting PB. Granted our version of PB isn't very pure. I think what we've done is just add calories rather than taking any thing away, except breakfast cereal and toast.

I've also stalled on weightloss, but because of a chronic fatigue problem I have, I haven't been exercising much since the fall. (Grey days and rain cause me pain. It's rained every single day this month here.)

Signed,

Stuck (aka Unshod Sarah)

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Our protein needs vary. Some need more than others. Some do better with less protein - figure out what works for you. Occasionally doing low protein is beneficial for your body - where it will scavenge up old proteins.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if you are looking for responses or not....

High % protein diets are indeed bad, especially in a gym context where people are swilling chemical stews of manufactured protein.

Exercise is not strongly linked with losing weight, especially early on.

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    No, I'm talking about meat protiens, not chemical or even in shakes. Maybe we just aren't doing this right. We also have less than 20 pounds each to lose.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    According to the Perfect Health Diet, high protein is not ideal. My guess is because it puts the most stress on the body. Basically, they advocate 65% fat, 20% carbohydrate and 15% protein calories in a day. Fat is the least likely to create free radicals and fatty foods tend to have the least amount of toxins, so that's a given. 20% carbohydrate is good because it is enough to create glycogen vs VLC, but not enough that your body isn't efficient at using fat for fuel. The 15% protein may be ideal for longevity and dragging out life as long as possible - very, very old people are usually frail their entire lives - but there's a tradeoff of length of life vs quality of life. You may live longer on a high fat/moderate carbohydrate/low protein diet, but I believe you'll have the best quality of life on a moderate fat/high protein/moderate carbohydrate diet. It'll keep you strong, help you perform, you'll be proficient at using both fat and glucose for fuel and the protein will keep you strong. Right now I'm eating about 15% calories from fat, 65% calories from protein and 20% calories from carbohydrate (20g fat a day, 50g carbs a day, 175g protein a day) and it kinda sucks, but it's only temporary. I can tell you as an insulin sensitive and very active 25 year old man, I feel best eating around 35/30/35, which is around 90g of fat, 175g of protein and 200g of carbs in a day, but I lose body fat the best the way I'm doing it now. I need a low fat, cyclical carbohydrate diet to get the fat off my lower belly.

Of course, when I eat normally, I rarely eat 35/30/35 in a day. That's too much fat and carbs combined in a sitting. I usually eat around 55/30/15 on lower activity and off days from the gym and 20/30/50 on workout days.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-28-2011 at 03:22 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Sue
    Maybe you need to tighten up PB. Are you still eating grains? What are your usual meals?

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    According to the Perfect Health Diet, high protein is not ideal. My guess is because it puts the most stress on the body. Basically, they advocate 65% fat, 20% carbohydrate and 15% protein calories in a day. Fat is the least likely to create free radicals and fatty foods tend to have the least amount of toxins, so that's a given. 20% carbohydrate is good because it is enough to create glycogen vs VLC, but not enough that your body isn't efficient at using fat for fuel. The 15% protein may be ideal for longevity and dragging out life as long as possible - very, very old people are usually frail their entire lives - but there's a tradeoff of length of life vs quality of life. You may live longer on a high fat/moderate carbohydrate/low protein diet, but I believe you'll have the best quality of life on a moderate fat/high protein/moderate carbohydrate diet. It'll keep you strong, help you perform, you'll be proficient at using both fat and glucose for fuel and the protein will keep you strong. Right now I'm eating about 15% calories from fat, 65% calories from protein and 20% calories from carbohydrate (20g fat a day, 50g carbs a day, 175g protein a day) and it kinda sucks, but it's only temporary. I can tell you as an insulin sensitive and very active 25 year old man, I feel best eating around 35/30/35, which is around 90g of fat, 175g of protein and 200g of carbs in a day, but I lose body fat the best the way I'm doing it now. I need a low fat, cyclical carbohydrate diet to get the fat off my lower belly.

Of course, when I eat normally, I rarely eat 35/30/35 in a day. That's too much fat and carbs combined in a sitting. I usually eat around 55/30/15 on lower activity and off days from the gym and 20/30/50 on workout days.
    How come you're very low calorie? I don't agree that you need high protein. Old folks start to look frail because of issues with food intake - problems with teeth, absorption issues, alone - don't cook for themselves, etc.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I was talking about context of the class- gyms tend to be full of people pounding "protein shakes" made of chemicals.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    I can't see how it makes any sense that high protein diets are harmful. Didn't our ancestors eat mainly meat and fat?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast