Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise to improve posture page

mike_nyc is offline Junior Member

Exercise to improve posture

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a desk job and I am typically sitting 10 hours a day. I think this has contributed to my bad posture and would like to try and work on correcting it. Can anyone share any exercises that could help. I am a male, 6' 1'' weigh about 180lbs and go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. Been primal for close to 2 years now.

Thanks in advance.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert but I've found that classic deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts (and lifting HEAVY at that) have done wonders for my core and have straightened me up A LOT. Just my two cents. Take or leave at will.

MakeItSo is offline Member
    One thing that has greatly helped me with posture is stretching out my shoulders/pecs. Too much desk work gave me forward-hanging rolled/hunched shoulders, which will ruin most attempts at correctng one's posture.

To stretch it out, I lay on my back on the weight bench, spread my arms out to the sides as to make a T shape with my body, and then let my arms hang down for 5 minutes. It pulls kind of hard at first, but in a good way. Some numbness/tingling/discomfort (while doing the stretch) the first couple of weeks is totally normal!

I do the above stretch once a day, and along with other posture-reinforcing habits/sitting positions (check out 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back by Esther Gokhale -- really awesome, and MDA recommended!), it's about 2 months later and I'm finally sitting comfortably.

A few other things that have probably contributed to my success (other than eating primally): a) doing beginner's yoga 3 times/week, and b) having an adjustable workstation that allows me to go between standing and sitting positions. That being said, I only spend a couple of hours a day in the standing position; the rest of it is planted on my ass.
    It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

bluepelican is offline Member
    Any chance you could start standing at work? I set up a makeshift standing desk in my cubicle about four months ago and I've noticed a major improvement in my posture.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I'm no expert but I've found that classic deadlifts and stiff-leg deadlifts (and lifting HEAVY at that) have done wonders for my core and have straightened me up A LOT. Just my two cents. Take or leave at will.
    This.

Also, girls that deadlift are hot, I know that's not part of the thread but I do have a penis that makes me have to say things like this, lest it fall off. (that's really how it works, you withhold uncalled for sexual comments too often and your dick just falls off)

I'd also third the suggestion to stand. I stand until about 1 or 2pm (when I eat lunch) and then sit for the other 3-4 hours I may stay at work. I'm considering getting a high stool though so that my back stays straight (I wouldn't move my laptop down, just always keep it raised) so that I don't lose it all when sitting.

MakeItSo's stretching advice is good as well. Australian pull-ups would help "stretch" the pecs too by strengthening those high back muscles/traps.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This.

Also, girls that deadlift are hot, I know that's not part of the thread but I do have a penis that makes me have to say things like this, lest it fall off. (that's really how it works, you withhold uncalled for sexual comments too often and your dick just falls off)
    I love that there are men like you out there! ha! Good to be appreciated...

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=iniQuity;583213]This.

Word brosef. Same thing would happen to my lady dick if I didn't do that shit.

And to OP--try yoga, improved my posture a looooooot....plus I teach it, so I've seen lots of good results

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    This might not be hot, but Yoga does wonders for posture.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    MakeItSo's tips are great. My chiropractor has suggested very similar things for me, since I also work at a deskjob.

Passive things that I work on: think about pulling your shoulderblades together constantly. Stretch your shoulders in doorways: stand in line with one side of the doorway (in line with the wall), put one arm at a right angle to the outside of the frame so your forearm is pointing up towards the ceiling, step your inside foot (the one on the same side as the arm that's out) forward so you stretch your shoulder by keeping your arm behind the frame. Repeat on other side, then repeat with your arm higher than a right angle (step a little closer to the door frame and slide your arm up).

I tend to stick my hips backwards too much (there's a term for that, I forget what it is), so I focus on tightening my butt/tailbone as though I want to push my tailbone forward without moving my hips and that straightens things out for me.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Keep an exercise pulling/pushing ratio of 3/1 in the gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast