Thread: Primal 2-month check in. page

weesa84 is offline Junior Member

Red face Primal 2-month check in.

Primal Fuel
    Hello alll!

I am new to this and would like a little guidance.... so let me give you some background.

I'm 27 years old, and a lifelong athelete. Growing up my family suscribed to the Convential Wisdom and stuck us in activities full of chronic cardio, mainly competitive swimming. As a kid and into my teenage years being athletic was a piece of cake! Things came naturally and I had an endless amount of energy.

Fast forwad to 2011, between bouts of utter laziness and motivated bursts of activity, my most recent years have taken me on both physical and emotional rollercoasters. I've spent the last 5 years living as a vegetarian. I did it for the animals, and for the fact that the meat and poultry industries are inherently cruel and I did not want to support such organizations. I also gained weight when I first stopped eating meat, instead relying heavily on breads, pastas, and all sorts of carbs to fill me up. After tayloring back the carbs and consuming more vegetables and legumes, I lost the additional weight and thought I was on my path to a healthier and cruelty-free lifestyle. Little did I know that the emotional hurdles laying ahead would take me through a gauntlet of depression and anxiety filled times where I would rely on those carbs again to make me feel all right.

This year I decided to make my health a real priority and return to my old athletic self that I knew and loved growing up. I completed my first triathlon in June, and I was feeling better than ever! Not long after though, my body broke down. All the chronic cardio, empty calories, and lack of proper supplementation had caught up with me and I felt miserable. My back, neck and shoulders were rock hard (not in the good way!), full of knots, and I was suffering from painful muscle spasms. My asthma was worse than ever, migraines nearly every day, and the depression and anxiety I had battle since my early twenties was flaring up more frequently and intensely. After trying to tough it out for a few weeks I finally caved in and visited a chiropractor who introduced me to Mark’s blog and the Primal lifestyle. I have been hooked ever since! It has been a little over two months now, and while I am still in recovery, I feel so, SO much better! Reintroducing meat into my diet was an emotional obstacle I had to cross, but by focusing on clean meats I am able to reassure myself that these animals were well fed and hopefully raised and slaughtered humanely.

My question to the public is this: while I have been feeling better, stronger, happier, and with a clear mind... there is one thing I haven't noticed. I haven't lost any weight! In fact, my butt is actually looking... um... bigger? If that's possible?

I did start my Primal transition gradually since I didn't want to shock the system after being veg for so long, but now that I've been completely primal for at least 3 weeks, I still am not seeing results. I don't feel big, I have always been a naturally slim person even at my worst (skinny fat), but I haven't noticed the fat "melt off" as others have in the early weeks do, or any additional muscle tone even though I've been doing the workouts and sprints.

Anyone have any advice or insight to offer? Thanks for taking the time to read my lenghty story!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Relax. You'll get there. This isn't a weight-loss program, but a health plan. Everyone transitions differently, and some people take more than a month just to get over the low-carb flu. If you've only been fully primal for 3 weeks, I think you should give it some more time. It can take a long time to heal chronic problems.

However, you should also not just weigh yourself once, but also take measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, chest, neck, and upper arms, at least. There is a possibility that what you consider "naturally slim" was under-muscled, and your body is correcting that now.

You should also consider that "fully primal" may include foods that you personally are not tolerant of or may be overdoing, such as nightshades, caffeine, dairy, or nuts. Lack of sleep and high stress can both prevent weight loss. There's a lot going on, but it's probably too soon to tell. Stick with it for another month or so, then start making changes one at a time if you feel you need to.

Thanks for the advice, I do agree with you that I was probably under-muscled for a while after quitting the competitive circuit. I may be overdoing he dairy as well, yogurt with berries is one of my breakfast favorites. I guess I'm just so eager to see results after reading everyone's success stories! Patience has never been my strong suit... time to put in into practice

KrisC is offline Junior Member
    I feel the same way, Ive been on primal for just three weeks but I have dropped 12lbs, which for me doesnt feel like enough.. I want faster results, I cant help it..
    What are you eating..

Quote Originally Posted by KrisC View Post
    I feel the same way, Ive been on primal for just three weeks but I have dropped 12lbs, which for me doesnt feel like enough.. I want faster results, I cant help it..
    What are you eating..
    For breakfast I usually have two hardboiled eggs. Lunch I do a salad with grilled chicken. Dinner is usually a challenge though, my boyfriend and I like to eat out often... but I've taken Mark's advice and turned into a "Sally", modifying my order to be as primal as possible.

I have tapered down on the nuts and dairy recently, and am finally seeing some results. My face is thinning out a bit, which has always been the first place I gain weight, and my midsection is looking slimmer. No change on the booty yet though... maybe I can just be a primal Kim K.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisC View Post
    What are you eating..
    I haven't lost a thing either, so I'd be estatic with 12lbs... Congrats, I do feel better in general though so that is worth something- and I need to work out more...
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Patience weesa...As jfreaksho mentioned, the measurements are far more important than what the scale tells you. Listen to your body, and to what it feels/says. This is what being truly Primal is about. All the factors are important here, not just the food. A lifestyle change, and NOT a DIET!!!!! Free your mind, and your Grok will follow:-)