Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agave Nectar page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I was in my local health food store earlier this week and looked at a bottle of raw, organic agave nectar. I was shocked to see that 1 tbsp of it has 60 calories (!!!). I'm especially surprised that it's regularly used as a sweetener in several of the "primal" recipes that have been shared on the forum and on primal sites.

Can someone explain why it's often used? Is it sweeter than sugar and therefore less is needed? I'm trying to understand why 1 tbsp of 60 calories is a better option than 1 tbsp of 45 calories (standard granulated sugar).

Tarlach is offline Member

It's just as bad as table sugar, honey, HFCS, grape juice concentrate, dates, etc.

People might realize one day that they are all just sugar. Just because it comes from a different source doesn't make it any better for you.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

whitecap Guest

Agave is probably even more problematic than other common sweeteners, given its higher fructose content - something like 70% or more. Fructose appears to be metabolically damaging and is certainly more glycating than glucose.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Tarlach, why are dates bad? Are they not just some sort of fruit, dried? Maybe I don't really understand what they are...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Nick Guest

Dates are just very high in sugar. They're a stone fruit/drupe (their pit is about a quarter inch in diameter and about an inch long). It's around 10g of sugar per date, and they are not large. Compare to 1 extra large strawberry (about the same mass/volume or a little bigger) at 1g of sugar.

Here's a picture of a bacon wrapped date.

Agave nectar (or agave syrup, as it's properly called if you're not a raw food zombie) is up to 92% fructose. It is not a natural food. I find it especially humorous that the raw foodies like it because the agave goop that comes out of the plant is not really that high simple carbohydrates, and it is processed via thermal hydrolysis with chemicals to break them down into simple sugars, so it's anything but raw.

Oh, but they can also process it without heat..by fermenting it with black mold.

From wikipedia:

Low-carb diet advocate Dr. Michael Eades M.D. advises to "avoid it [Agave syrup] like death".

Eating fructose because it doesn't immediately spike your blood sugar is like giving up cigarettes for crack. That fructose is assassinating your liver and metabolism. See here: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/04/fructose-vs-glucose-showdown.html

If you're going to have sugar, you're better off just having plain corn syrup that is 100% glucose rather than table sugar or HFCS or agave. And if non-sugar sweetener is at all an option, choose that. It just sounds like it's primal (as if you're going up to a flower and drinking the nectar from it) due to the name (same reason people think fat == fat, and 'saturated' means 'clogged' instead of the real meaning of 'less reactive/hard to oxidize').

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Nick, thanks. I mean, I knew they were little pitted thingies and I've eaten them and I have some in my pantry... I just have never seen one that doesn't come out of a bag you know? Like, the thing that it originates from? (And man, bacon-wrapped dates are the shit. So sad to realize they have SO much sugar.)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Dried fruit has more concentrated sugars.

62shelby Guest

Hang me from the rafters, but if I am going to use a sweetener it will be raw honey.

Tarlach is offline Member

Raw honey has the same makeup as HFCS. You are greatly deluded if you think it is any better for you.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

whitecap Guest

Ditto Shelby. Stick to real whole food. In moderation of course. The stories of diabetic honey addicted pharoahs help keep my head out of the honey pot when I can manage to remind myself.

Richard Johnson of the University of Florida whose work is referenced in the post from Whole Health Source that Nick linked to has a book out btw, "The Sugar Fix: The High Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick."

If you've got any doubts that agave "nectar" is a nasty, industrial food, take a look at this leaflet from Weston A. Price's Sally Fallon. Describes the gruesome details of production:

http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/HFCSAgave.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast