Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Agave Nectar page 2

maranne is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Something to look into if anyone is interested is this book/website.

http://www.sweetpoison.com.au/

Mx

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

That Weston Price piece made me toss the bottle of agave "nectar" I had pronto. I've not used any in a long, long time but used to fairly often.

The part on HFCS was excellent, just enough science to give body, not so much as to overwhelm. I had heard about the reverse molecule on the radio once, but never have seen it in print.

Look, fructose is just like anything else entering our body. Some small quantity is not a problem, huge quantities are. What those quantities are depends on the substance, mostly. That's why toxicology has the LD50 and LD100 rates. People have eaten lots of honey and fruit w/o problems gaining weight. But what was "lots" in 1900 is not the same as in the Big Gulp era. You can eat too much of anything considered good in the PB, also. Nature has no perfect food.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

Nature has no perfect food.</blockquote>

Eggs are pretty close... so is fish or beef (as you can live solely on either).

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Close to perfect still isn't.

Actually, I think blood might be the in the same category. Instead of consuming it, we dry it out and use it as feed or fertilizer.

sofiawahaj Guest

Look, I am not ready to give up baked good and ice cream totally yet. Maybe I am in transition phase and eventually will get to the point where I can eliminate it completely, but for now, I crave a little dessert after dinner each night. Mostly, blueberries or apples and cinnamon will suffice or perhaps a piece (or two) of dark chocolate. But I have been finding these recipes for almond flour cakes/muffins/cookies and home made ice creams. They often use honey, agave nectar, xylitol, or stevia as a sweetener.

So I have been doing a little testing. Sugar causes me to crave more sugar and when I eat dessert with sugar, I can&#39;t stop with one slice. I need another (and then my heart beats really fast and I get high and dizzy). I got the same cravings with splenda. Okay, splenda and sugar are out.

So what about the rest (xylitol, honey, agave, and stevia)? From the above discussions, it seems agave is terrible. And honey is the same as HFCS. What about Stevia and Xylitol? I am kinda confused about how these artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels? Do they elevate insulin levels just like sugar? What happens when insulin levels elevate but there is no glucose (cuz it&#39;s fake glucose)? Are you still preventing your body from burning fat?

I have read the "Truth about Truvia" post on MDA (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-truth-on-truvia). Is the liquid stevia that is found in the supplement section of the grocery store any better?

Does Stevia cause more sugar cravings? What about xylitol?

It is my goal to one day stop craving anything sweet ever again. I know that to do that I will have to tighten up and stop eating fruits and all sweet things. Sweet stuff causes more sugar cravings. I know. But until I am ready to take my primal diet to the next level, what is the safest crutch?

sofiawahaj Guest

Look, I am not ready to give up baked good and ice cream totally yet. Maybe I am in transition phase and eventually will get to the point where I can eliminate it completely, but for now, I crave a little dessert after dinner each night. Mostly, blueberries or apples and cinnamon will suffice or perhaps a piece (or two) of dark chocolate. But I have been finding these recipes for almond flour cakes/muffins/cookies and home made ice creams. They often use honey, agave nectar, xylitol, or stevia as a sweetener.

So I have been doing a little testing. Sugar causes me to crave more sugar and when I eat dessert with sugar, I can&#39;t stop with one slice. I need another (and then my heart beats really fast and I get high and dizzy). I got the same cravings with splenda. Okay, splenda and sugar are out.

So what about the rest (xylitol, honey, agave, and stevia)? From the above discussions, it seems agave is terrible. And honey is the same as HFCS. What about Stevia and Xylitol? I am kinda confused about how these artificial sweeteners affect insulin levels? Do they elevate insulin levels just like sugar? What happens when insulin levels elevate but there is no glucose (cuz it&#39;s fake glucose)? Are you still preventing your body from burning fat?

I have read the "Truth about Truvia" post on MDA (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-truth-on-truvia). Is the liquid stevia that is found in the supplement section of the grocery store any better?

Does Stevia cause more sugar cravings? What about xylitol?

It is my goal to one day stop craving anything sweet ever again. I know that to do that I will have to tighten up and stop eating fruits and all sweet things. Sweet stuff causes more sugar cravings. I know. But until I am ready to take my primal diet to the next level, what is the safest crutch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12