Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for converting your kids' diets to Primal page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Tips for converting your kids' diets to Primal

Primal Fuel
    I wanted to start a thread to get ideas on how to convert my kids' diets from SAD to Primal. My own diet is 98% Primal and I've been making slow but steady changes to my children's (ages 9, 8 and 3) menus, with the intention of having them eating Primal in the next year or two. I am making small changes at a time, and mostly not telling them, or sneaking it in . So what tips do you have to share with me? What are you doing to change your kids' diets? Here are a few of the things I've done so far:

1. Breakfast- I make chicken nuggets on weekday mornings, if they're still hungry after that, then they can have cereal and milk. Most days they don't have the cereal, and if they do, it's much less than before.

2. I've eliminated dessert in their packed school lunches and replaced it with fruit. They still eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but the "PB" is a thick layer of almond butter with a thin spread of PB on top.

3. I've replaced their dinnertime juice drink with a fruit smoothie (full fat Greek yogurt, cream, milk, banana and frozen blueberries).

4. Baked treats and pancakes are now made with almond meal and coconut flour.

5. Snacks are now hard boiled eggs, turkey, nuts, cheese sticks or fruits.

I'm looking forward to hearing ideas from other parents whose kids are resistant to giving up grains and eating a Primal diet.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I am so envious your kids eat much less eat real food at all. My daughter has seen how I am eating, she is intrigued and in the "want to be like mom" (she is 9). However, she took herself pretty much off meat a while back- no clue why, she will NOT eat eggs, seldom eats veggies unless they are canned peas and of course loves her legumes (bean burritos) pasta and cereal. I have told her that once the ucky snacks were gone, that is it. I will not buy more but will send in its place carrots, celery etc. (She cried-and yet I am unmoved)

So last night she says she wants to be primal. I got a little excited before she told me "sometimes". We agreed last night she would do dinners as primal (ummmm... if she will eat.. she often does not eat much of anything).

I will be watching this post.. need ideas.. picky eater?? She is the definition. (oh and before someone says something like, you are the parent, you control this- know this.. you do not have all the facts).
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

jenni is offline Member
    I put my kids on primal cold-turkey when I went primal full-time. They do whine and want bad foods and there are a lot of foods they just won't touch, so I do put a lot of thought into each meal for them.

For breakfasts: I have one that won't touch an egg, two that are so-so, and one that devours them. So, we add cheese to the eggs and make sure there is plenty of bacon. They all love bacon and the cheese helps them eat some of the eggs. For the one that really doesn't go for the eggs, he loves soup, so I let him have homemade soup some mornings. It's quick and easy, so I don't mind. We do eat other things, that's just an example

For lunches: I have a very, very picky eater among the school-age kids. He pretty much hates all food. At least that's the way it seems. So while the other kids have carrots and apple slices, he gets some extra cheese and a primal muffin. The only fruit he will eat is a banana. Not perfect, but I'm working on it. I post their daily lunch boxes on my facebook page if anyone is interested.

For Dinner: They eat what is on the menu or don't. I do try to make veggies and add stuff I know they like, but if it's fish night, it's fish night. I finally got my picky eater to try salmon and he was surprised to find he kind of liked it. You just have to keep offering things and be patient.

As far as snacks go: I don't snack, but I keep white grapes, apples, carrots, beef sticks, and cheese sticks on hand and they are welcome to them anytime. We also make a batch of primal cookies or muffins once a week for a treat or I'll whip up some heavy cream and they eat it like it's ice-cream.

jenni is offline Member
    Also, I think it helps to watch shows like Food Inc. and the like with them. They sometimes understand things better coming from what they view as an authority on the subject rather than a stupid diet mom is on I know it has helped with my older three. They now know that conventional food is bad, even though they still miss it and do cheat. lol

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Well, I start with the fact that they can't eat what's not in the house, so not buying crap to begin with is a start. Beware that it took us months before the crackers and stuff was finally gone (amazing how my teenager just kept finding the long lost crap)! I make primal goodies like almond/coconut flour bread, muffins and cookies. My family will still eat non-primal food when we go out (which is rarely) so they look at it as a big treat. Just keep trying new things and find non-food rewards when they choose the right thing. It takes time, be patient and creative. Cook from scratch to control ingredients. My 3 yr old does not eat veges that aren't cooked very often, but I just keep trying new ways to get him to eat them. Don't stress about it and make it fun - hopefully we will succeed - eventually!

oooooooooooooooook! Crap.. we talked about this.. last week.. talked again tonight and the tears flowed, I thought the house was going to flood (ok I exaggerate but it was not pretty). We are doing Primal nights M,W,F. She is buying into it... barely. So instead of cookies for dessert she is having grapes. The meat did not go over well and she did not touch much veggies.
    Karin

jenni is offline Member
    Karin, I have 5 kids, so whining, crying, fits, screams, tantrums, etc. don't really move me. lol I think spending 17 years with short people screaming about one thing or another has jaded me.

Maybe try some positive re-enforcement? When she does eat a good meal, praise her and let her know how proud you are that she chose to eat good food. Talk to her about how bad certain foods are, or even explain that it's not really food. Let her keep some of her favorites and don't give up on offering primal foods at every meal. And like another poster said, if it's not in the house, you can't serve it. Good luck
    Last edited by jenni; 09-28-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you!! Starting slow she is flipping out.. but BONUS.. got her to try the meal tonight (major accomplishment) and she ate grapes.
    Karin

jenni is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Thank you!! Starting slow she is flipping out.. but BONUS.. got her to try the meal tonight (major accomplishment) and she ate grapes.
    Start of PB weight Aug/2011: 217
    Start of Leptin Reset end of Aug/2011: 202.4
    current weight: 199.6

Follow me and see what my kids are eating for lunch.

Fairychilde is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni View Post
    I put my kids on primal cold-turkey when I went primal full-time. They do whine and want bad foods and there are a lot of foods they just won't touch, so I do put a lot of thought into each meal for them.

For breakfasts: I have one that won't touch an egg, two that are so-so, and one that devours them. So, we add cheese to the eggs and make sure there is plenty of bacon. They all love bacon and the cheese helps them eat some of the eggs. For the one that really doesn't go for the eggs, he loves soup, so I let him have homemade soup some mornings. It's quick and easy, so I don't mind. We do eat other things, that's just an example

For lunches: I have a very, very picky eater among the school-age kids. He pretty much hates all food. At least that's the way it seems. So while the other kids have carrots and apple slices, he gets some extra cheese and a primal muffin. The only fruit he will eat is a banana. Not perfect, but I'm working on it. I post their daily lunch boxes on my facebook page if anyone is interested.

For Dinner: They eat what is on the menu or don't. I do try to make veggies and add stuff I know they like, but if it's fish night, it's fish night. I finally got my picky eater to try salmon and he was surprised to find he kind of liked it. You just have to keep offering things and be patient.

As far as snacks go: I don't snack, but I keep white grapes, apples, carrots, beef sticks, and cheese sticks on hand and they are welcome to them anytime. We also make a batch of primal cookies or muffins once a week for a treat or I'll whip up some heavy cream and they eat it like it's ice-cream.
    Sounds very similar to the things I feed my 3 year old, although she still eats occasional bread, pizza, and noodles. I would love to be your friend on FB so I can see your daily lunches.
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast