Thread: New to PB and need some advice- bumps on the road! page

Suzy is offline Junior Member

New to PB and need some advice- bumps on the road!

Hey all! This is my first post here, and am willing to admit I am very, very new to all of this and know nothing yet. I'm female, 35, and recovering from breast cancer.

I've been starting down the PB road in the past two weeks (my brother's old housemate is a personal trainer who follows PB and he and his wife look amazing!!) and, although I am finding it somewhat overwhelming and I'm not always sure I'm getting it right, I am happy with how it's going. I'm 5lb down already, and can notice myself stronger and fitter in that short time!

I have a lot of weight to lose and a lot of fitness to gain!! I have been getting up before my family in the mornings and going for an hour long walk with a little jogging (I'm very slow but I can just about cover 4 miles) and then I have been doing the exercises detailed in Mark's download exercise plan. I am finding these hard, but I am definitely improving. I have discovered that, although I'm not completely unfit and my leg muscles seem to be working not too badly, I have absolutely no upper body strength at all!

ANYHOW- there have been a couple of bumps on the road and I am not sure how to proceed. My trainers were old and stinky, so I bought new ones. They gave me a blister on one foot and now my foot has picked up a pretty nasty infection. Walking isn't all that easy and I definitely can't wear the trainers at the moment. I am aware that I am supposed to be sprinting around my roads barefoot and fancy free, but I am just not that Primal yet, lol! I have been keeping up the LHT sessions and working out (barefoot) to keep fit dvd's instead- will this do the same as the long walks? Or is there anything else anyone can suggest?

Also, a few days ago, I lost someone who has been my very dear friend for the past nineteen years. It was totally unexpected and her death has completely and utterly wiped me out. All the newfound enthusiasm for life, exercise and a carb free (well carb reduced if the truth may be told) lifestyle has kind of...died. I've managed to stick to the plan so far, but have to say that resisting ordering a pizza that first night was very very hard. Can anyone suggest anything that will help me kick myself up the botty and get back to it? I am not a moper by nature, but this is, well...tough.

Finally, I mentioned at the start of my post that I have been fighting breast cancer- I was diagnosed just over three years ago. At present, I am (I hope) in remission. My family are anxious that the new diet will not be advantageous to my cancer status. I have tried to reassure them that many cancers react to sugar, which is a no-no on this regime, but they keep pointing me at "meat causes cancer" websites...can anyone give me anything to counter this with, or are they right?

I am sorry this is so long! I am very willing to take on board any criticism or advice anyone has to offer. Thanks so much if you have read my post.

Suzy (somewhere near Belfast, Northern Ireland)
    CW 187
    Would love to get down to under 130 one day!

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Hi Suzy - Welcome to the tribe!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Situations like that are hard. Something I am trying to learn is that sadness comes from thoughts and thoughts are something that we create, not things that are done to us. It's okay to be saddened by the loss of your loved one but try to remember that your thoughts are what are making you sad and you can control the thoughts that you dwell on. Try to remember the good times and happy memories you had with your friend and concentrate on your gratitude for having your friend in your life. Those are the thoughts you want to remember your friend by, not the sadness you feel now because of their death.

Now, about that cancer . . . I'm sure if you dig around in here you'll find plenty of information about the health benefits of the Primal Lifestyle. Here are a few of the things I remember from the book (which is currently on loan to my mother-in-law 500 km/300 mi south of here):

1. Grains actually contribute to the formation of mutant (and potentially cancerous) cells by blocking the body's "proof-reader" genes. This increases the likelihood of malignant cells forming, but allowing more erroneous cell formation and increasing the number of new cells being created,

2. Fruits (particularly berries) are typically a great source of anti-oxidants, which helps manage systemic inflammation which in turn harms the body.

3. Conventional meat may (or may not) contribute to cancer but I don't know if there is any evidence of this being true of organic, free-range, grass-fed meat.

I'm certain someone more knowledgeable, and more willing to hunt out the sources for you, will be along soon to provide more ammunition for you too.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Suzy is offline Junior Member
    Thank you very much Griffin for your response. You have given me a lot to think about- all positive.

I don't want people to have to hunt out responses for me- I'm not lazy and can do the searching myself, but I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation with their families and cancer. I actually hadn't thought of berries- as I say, this lifestyle is new to me and I have been trying not to eat fruit. So that's really interesting to me, thanks!

katiedid is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Suzy! I don't have much advice to your cancer worries, but I DO know about starting a new fitness program and staying motivated!

I'm also a 30s gal in the 180s, so we're starting from a similar viewpoint. Here's what helped me: SHORT workouts! When I first started PB, I would rather jog/walk 4 miles in an hour than break a sweat for a 20 minute workout. I have no idea why... I almost think it was becuase I was afraid of really getting in there and pushing my body to the limit. I'm now doing a Crossfit Bootcamp where we focus on short, high intensity bursts. I find myself thinking, "I can do 20 minutes! Heck, I can even do 30!" Where as I used to think, "well, I don't have time for an hour workout so I won't even bother". Shorter workouts also mean you're on your feet less, so there's a lesser chance of battle wounds (aka blisters).

Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser has a workout DVD which is along the same lines as P90X... high intensity cardio mixed in with lifting heavy things. It actually is a lot of the same stuff we do in Crossft, so you could do it on the comfort of your living room rug (tennis shoes optional).

As for staying motivated... it improves with time. Now that I'm four (or is it 5 now?) months into PB, I'm finding I'm just not wanting the same treats that I used to. I used to CRAVE sandwhiches and pizza and spaghetti. I thought my world would end without them. If I was sad, I turned to them. If I was happy, I rewarded myself with them. Now when I have uber cravings, it's usually along the lines of "someone get me a square of 85% dark chocolate STAT!"

There are some situations in life that are just going to trigger emotional eating, an losing a loved one is probably one of the biggest. Here's the good news... it's OKAY! If you're eating primally, then if you give in to temptation or a craving every once in a while, then enjoy it and move on.

The forums are a great place for motivation, cause people like to listen and help. Lots of people keep journals for accountability. I like to listen to podcasts (Rob Wolf, Jimmy Moore, and Balanced Bites are my faves)... for some reason, hearing real people talk about this lifestyle motivates me to stay on track. I find that the more I listen, the more involved I become.

Good luck! We're here when you need us