Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High carb paleo/obesity page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

High carb paleo/obesity

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From what I know not every obese person has metabolic derangement. I've seen several threads about high-carb paleo and many of the people say it's fine unless one is overweight.

I am curious if it would even be fine for an overweight/obese person to eat higher carb if that person had normal fasting insulin/glucose/and A1C. Specifically, my insulin was <2 (the lowest reading), glucose 82, and A1C 4.8.

I am asking this because I'm pregnant and fatty meats make me pukey. And my only craving is hashbrowns cooked in coconut oil. I'm still considered obese (but have lost 100+ pounds). Would higher carb paleo diets be okay for someone who is obese yet doesn't show metabolic derangement?

Thanks.

ETA: I am concerned about this because my first baby was big. I am assuming that having lost 100 pounds would probably remedy part of whatever metabolic derangement was going on (I still had normal glucose tolerance tests, although my A1C was 5.6 I think).
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 09-28-2011 at 09:17 AM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I can't answer your question, but I believe your focus should be on a diet that supports your pregnant state and is good for your developing baby. I personally think your hashbrowns meet that requirement. Especially considering your emotional state is very important and getting what you want goes a long way for that.

Thanks iniQuity. I just don't have the appetite for animal fat, other than butter. My hashbrowns do make me rather happy. And along with eggs, I am satisfied for hours. No cravings of food like if I were to eat wheat.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If your blood numbers look good and suggest that you're insulin sensitive, I can't see how eating higher carb will hurt you. In fact, one of the principles of the Primal Blueprint is to listen to your body, and your body clearly seems to be sending you the message that it needs more carbohydrate. Try eating higher carbohydrate and see how it does for you. Just try and make your carbohydrate from good sources: white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, bananas, squashes, etc. Also, try not to combine high fat with high carb. If you're eating potatoes, stick to things like chicken breast, lean beef like london broil, trimmed pork loin, etc. See how it works for you. The only way you'll know if it works for you is to try it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I can't answer your question, but I believe your focus should be on a diet that supports your pregnant state and is good for your developing baby. I personally think your hashbrowns meet that requirement. Especially considering your emotional state is very important and getting what you want goes a long way for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    If your blood numbers look good and suggest that you're insulin sensitive, I can't see how eating higher carb will hurt you. In fact, one of the principles of the Primal Blueprint is to listen to your body, and your body clearly seems to be sending you the message that it needs more carbohydrate. Try eating higher carbohydrate and see how it does for you. Just try and make your carbohydrate from good sources: white potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, bananas, squashes, etc. Also, try not to combine high fat with high carb. If you're eating potatoes, stick to things like chicken breast, lean beef like london broil, trimmed pork loin, etc. See how it works for you. The only way you'll know if it works for you is to try it.
    + 1 to both of these! when I was pregnant w/both kids I followed the Bradley Method for child birth eating plan - minus the whole grains (except rice)... make sure you get plenty of protein (especially meat/fish high in O3), lots of leafy greens, fruits... and don't forget the winter squashes as well as sweet potatoes... you're feeding a growing little one... additionally things may change as your pregnancy progresses...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations, Shannon!!!

I'm no expert on any of this, and this is just me, but if I were pregnant I would eat whatever (clean) food my body was asking for and I wouldn't dare do LC while pregnant. I would eat lower glycemic index fruit. And, when nauseous in the first trimester, yes, hashbrowns in CO.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Fury is offline Senior Member
    I'm still too new at this to give you the details you are after, however I've never been a huge fan of very fatty meats either, and as an obese guy trying to reduce carbs without going into an unhealthy caloric deficit I have been using butter, cream & high fat cheeses as sources of animal fat instead of struggling to eat chicken wings & the like.
    Oh, and using drained fat from cooking skin-on chicken for other dishes (sauteed kale/greens w garlic, stir fried veggies, etc...)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I'm no expert on any of this, and this is just me, but if I were pregnant I would eat whatever (clean) food my body was asking for and I wouldn't dare do LC while pregnant.
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    ... additionally things may change as your pregnancy progresses...
    ...and this.

Since you've been eating decent food for a while, you're probably much more able to listen to what your body needs, so go with it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Congrats! and with this pregnancy my first craving was hashbrowns too! The potassium helps with morning sickness....bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Thanks. That is what I am going to do. I don't eat fatty meats at this point at all. They seriously make me ill. So right now it is things like chicken breast, shrimp, turkey breast, clams, etc. Once in awhile salmon. Sometimes lean hamburger, but I won't touch steak since getting ill after eating some about 3 mos ago. My favorite meal this week was Manhattan clam chowder. I felt so good after eating it. Not stuffed or sick. But I realized it was relatively low fat, higher protein/carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast