Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat is bad for you.... page

jimhensen is offline Senior Member

Meat is bad for you....

Sorry for the sensationalist title. Obviously meat is not bad for you. But I just want to point out a problem I have seen on these forums recently. People talk about how wheat and grains are bad for you and to truly understand it you have to stop eating them for a while and then eat something with a decent amount of grains in it and see how you feel. Well most people feel like garbage after doing this and then they come here and say that is a good way of showing you how bad grains are for you. I have also heard people say that when you are eating grains all the time you just get used to it so you just don't notice how hard it is on your body. Well with this line of reasoning I could say that meat is bad for you. Ask a vegetarian what happens if they eat meat after not eating it for a while. They feel absolutely horrible. I just wanted to point out that this line of thinking is completely illogical in both the case of grains and meat.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a vegetarian and I didn't have any issues going back to meat. Just my n=1. Maybe if I'd dived right in to eating fatty cuts I would've.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    I politely disagree, though I understand your reasoning.

You are correct that *long-term* vegetarians can have trouble introducing meat back into their diet. However, here's the way to really look at the situation:

Drop meat for three weeks. Most folks won't see any major improvements in health as a result. Anyone expect to have any problems adding it back? Not normally. In fact, many if not most people will find the proteins and iron will give them a nice boost in the days after finally getting some good beef in them.

Drop wheat for three weeks. Most people *will* see immediate health improvements. For me it only took four DAYS to see my acid reflux subside and two weeks before I took my last antacid ever. People often see reductions in inflammation, improved sleep and other immediate benefits including weight loss and improved mood. Now add the wheat back. You'll notice a marked deterioration in your health. Yes, it can vary depending on how negatively wheat impacts YOU, but for most people it's a very clear cause and effect relationship.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I think when vegetarians introduce meat back into their diet, the crappy feeling is mostly psychological. It's normal to feel uneasiness when you re-introduce something into your diet that you went out of your way to exclude for a long time.

Also, grains are high glycemic index. Meat is not. There's a difference there.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    They feel horrible because their digestive system is used to digesting less- meat takes longer- that is why they often get a belly ache- the stomach is almost shocked from having to do all that work- it takes up to 2-3 days for meat to digest while fruits and vegetables usually take about 12 hrs ( to complete full digestion)

I do not think it is completely illogical- for myself when I dare to eat wheat I notice my back breaks out and I get constipated or vice versa. It also affects my mucus levels I get a bit congested along with a headache, I also find myself more fatigued as the day goes by. belly ache versus all the crap I just listed- I will eat my meat!

I also agree with Katie it is often more psychological
    Last edited by LexxyV86; 09-28-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    Same here! I have had acid reflux since I was little- taking away all grains no heartburn! GLORIOUS!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    hmmmm.... interesting point. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever remove meat from my diet to notice effects. Sarcasm. :P

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    A Vegan No More | Voracious
    Work

Both ex-vegans immediately felt better after eating meat.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

littleLion is offline Junior Member
    Until very recently, I'd been vegetarian for 13 years. Since discovering the primal/paleo lifestyle and deciding it makes a lot of sense, in the last few weeks I've started eating meat again.

Psychologically it was difficult at first, but physically I FEEL FANTASTIC. My body is just lapping it up. And I wasn't exactly a "cheese and fries" kind of vegetarian - I ate plenty of soy, legumes, vegetables, supplemented with iron, B vitamins etc.

It feels like I'm taking good care of my body for the first time in a long time. No adverse effects at all so far, beyond the guys in the office having a field day with jokes about putting meat in my mouth.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LexxyV86 View Post
    They feel horrible because their digestive system is used to digesting less- meat takes longer- that is why they often get a belly ache- the stomach is almost shocked from having to do all that work- it takes up to 2-3 days for meat to digest while fruits and vegetables usually take about 12 hrs ( to complete full digestion)

I do not think it is completely illogical- for myself when I dare to eat wheat I notice my back breaks out and I get constipated or vice versa. It also affects my mucus levels I get a bit congested along with a headache, I also find myself more fatigued as the day goes by. belly ache versus all the crap I just listed- I will eat my meat!

I also agree with Katie it is often more psychological
    2 to 3 days to digest meat? I have never heard that and wouldn't think that it took more than 4 or 5 hours. Can you give more info on this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast