Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page

Pineneedles is online now Senior Member

Primal Journal (Pineneedles)

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I've been dabbling in this Primal thing since May this year but have only just joined the forum. I'm starting a journal to keep myself a bit more accountable.

Started the Primal challenge again on 12 September, and here is my condensed journal since then: did great the first week, the second week succumbed to cakes in the office on two occasions (sadly not worth it) and the third week is going rather better although I have an obsession with tahini which has probably led to overdoing the calories and O6. Going to rein it in by not buying any more for now.

Yesterday's meals were:
    B Two-egg omelette cooked in butter, a black coffee, a tbsp of raisins.
    L Smoked mackerel, tomatoes and pickled cauliflower salad. Handful of mixed nuts.
    D Vietnamese beef stew made with beef bone broth (The last of it! Wish there was more. So tasty.) 10g of 85% dark chocolate, 2 tbsp of raisins.
    Drinks between the meals: water, earl grey tea, roiibos tea, ginger tea.
    Exercise: walked for 30mins during lunch break. Not exactly sunny but at least I got some fresh air.
    Sleep: 8 hrs

This morning I weighed 59.8 kg which is 1.6kgs down from 12 September but 0.4kgs up since the beginning of the week which I attribute to overdoing the tahini on Monday night.

My biggest challenge is giving up sweet things. Avoiding grains has been easy and I've given up dairy for the challenge month too (to see if it helps clear up my skin) but I feel the (admittedly psychological) need to have something sweet at the end of a meal. Hence the raisins. The tahini isn't sweet (I would normally add a tiny amount of honey to it) and it's quite nutritious but I do tend to overdo it. The dark chocolate is an attempt to end a meal on a sweet note but one that doesn't make me overdo it. I'll keep track of how it goes.

Nutritionally, I've been tracking my intake in FitDay and most days meet most targets with the exception of calcium now that I don't have dairy. Even on days when I've eaten a lot of veg including green leafies, I'm always down on calcium, often also iron and potassium. I was justifying the tahini with the calcium content. Any other ideas? I do hope to have yoghurt and cheese again once the challenge is over.
    Last edited by Pineneedles; 09-28-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo

A bit more detail on me. I'm a 29-year-old female Finn living in London. 5'4.5" tall, have a 9-5 desk job and a long commute by train, a cat, two flatmates and a boyfriend who finds this primal thing very amusing and loves playing devil's advocate by saying Grok wouldn't have had red wine. My hobbies are knitting, reading and I'm learning to play bass guitar which is great fun. I have a daily meditation practice (thoroughly recommend! It has improved the state of my mind so much) and I pretty much follow the PB exercise recommendations with 2 circuit weight training sessions a week, a sprint session once a week and a lot of walking. I'd like to also add dancing to my hobbies.

PapaGrok is offline Member
    Welcome to the Primal Lifestyle!

Don't worry about calcium. If you are not eating grains or anything else that damages the gut, your absorption of calcium becomes more effective and your daily requirement is less. There are many examples of populations that don't eat dairy and yet have very low rates of calcium deficiencies (e.g., osteoporosis). North America consumes a lot of dairy, and yet has a high rate of osteoporosis.

Try paleotrack.com instead of fitday. It's designed for PB and the Paleo Diet.

Thanks PapaGrok! Just had a look at paleotrack - it tracks vitamin K! I do love it telling me I am dairy and grain free. If only it had a recipe function like caloriecount (where I used to track when I was, hmm, counting calories). I changed to fitday for better nutrient tracking and have been missing that facility.

Right. Yesterday was all right. The weather is lovely and sunny again (and should be for the next few days) which is wonderful.
    B1 (before gym) A small sweet potato with butter, one boiled egg, 3 little pickled beetroots
    B2 (after gym) One boiled egg, a black coffee.
    S A tiny piece of chocolate tiffin which was so nice I don't regret it in the least - although of course it means I'm neither grain nor sugar free for the day
    L Lettuce, pickled beetroot, smoked mackerel, horseradish dressing and pumpkin seeds. A handful of mixed nuts.
    D Ground pork sauteed with onion, chorizo, spring greens, mushrooms and a bit of tomato puree. A piece of 85% dark chocolate.
    Sleep: 8hrs
    Exercise: 1 x weights circuit (10 x 1 min) - my train was cancelled so I only had 15 mins in the gym but I also took the chance to have a walk through the park to the next train stop instead of standing in the station waiting for the next train.
    Sun: It's sunny! Ate my lunch outside on the grass and enjoyed every minute of it. The sun was surprisingly strong and I was only in it for 20 minutes but my arms went a tiny bit pink. Not used to it.
    Fun: As per Mark's blog post: Went to the cinema with my flatmates to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy which was quite active for the brain. We did watch TV later at home but my excuses are a) it was University Challenge so pretty interactive and b) I was knitting at the same time.

Weight this morning: 59.8kg - 132 lbs.

Comments: The cakes and bakes situation at work is difficult. There are a lot of birthdays and there's always some lovely things on offer, and instead of just leaving these in the kitchen for everyone to have we all go into an empty meeting room to sit and chat for a bit and food gets passed around. So I find it hard not to take part. Sometimes it's worth it (I think today's was - a very small piece, very satisfying and didn't generate cravings for the rest of the day) but last week I had a piece of cake which made me feel a bit sick and I didn't enjoy all that much anyway.

It's much easier to stay on track when the weather is good!

Yesterday:
    B: 2-egg omelette made with butter, a black coffee.
    L: Ground pork with spring greens, mushrooms, onions and tomato paste. A handful of mixed nuts (last of the bag - I might try to do without for a bit as it's so easy to have too many)
    D: A ready-meal of meatballs in tomato sauce - but it's a good 'un - no dodgy additives although the ingredients do list a bit of brown sugar. Still, as good a choice as I was able to make.
    S: Throughout the day, cups of green tea, rooibos tea, at night one earl grey tea and a piece of 85% chocolate.

Sleep: 7.5 hrs, no struggle getting out of bed
    Exercise: A jog round the misty park at sunrise. So lovely.
    Sun: Ate my lunch out in the midday sun. We're having an autumn heatwave which feels great.
    Fun: My life drawing class began again. I really enjoy it and it feels like a Primal activity - really helps you appreciate the human body. I'm definitely in the 'flow' state when it's going well. Tonight was a bit of a struggle after quite a long break.

Weight this morning 59 kgs / 130lbs. I should resist getting on the scale quite every morning.

A quick journal entry to cover this weekend. I didn't spend much time online which is good of course.

FRI
    B- a 2-egg omelette cooked with butter, a black coffee
    L- Salad from salad bar in the work canteen (red cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, grated carrots, pickled chillies, a bit of coleslaw) and a tin of sardines in tomato sauce. A punnet of blackberries
    S- a black coffee and a handful of roasted almonds. A matchbox-sized piece of bread dipped in olive oil. I met a friend after work and had a tiny piece of bread, the first I have had since the challenge.

Something in the above upset my stomach (my suspicion is it was either the salad bar or the blackberries which I didn't wash before eating) so I just had some dried blueberries to calm it down (worked) but was hungry later so:
    D- a sweet potato with butter.

Exercise: A long, leisurely walk through the park
    Sun: Plenty!

SAT
    B- 2 eggs scrambled with chorizo
    L- some fresh dates, iced tea
    D- 2 beefburgers with lettuce, sliced tomato, a portabello mushroom, gherkins, sauerkraut, ketchup and mustard. 2 glasses of white wine.
    S- Later had another glass of white wine and half a tiny roasted pumpkin

Exercise: sprints in the park.
    Fun: Had a last-of-the-summer barbecue with my flatmates and boyfriend. Later went to a concert with friends.
    Made beef bone stock in the slow cooker.

SUN
    B- two scrambled eggs with chorizo.
    S- a mango and passion fruit smoothie. Sunday treat! Some roasted chestnuts.
    L- tomatoes, pickled cauliflower and pickled chillies drizzled with olive oil, with tinned squid in squid ink
    D- chili verde with about 2 tbsp of basmati rice and guacamole
    S-a piece of 85% chocolate

Exercise: first thing in the morning went to the park with my cup of coffee, to enjoy the outdoors before the weather got too hot. Walked around, did my meditation practice outdoors, and collected some chestnuts.
    Fun: Played the bass with my flatmate. Played some board games later.

The weather was very hot in the afternoon so I had a little nap indoors.

The unseasonal heatwave has left us but it was still nice enough out yesterday.
    Sleep: 7.5 hrs, got up at 6.30 no problem.
    B: Some roast pumpkin with smoked paprika. 1 egg omelette cooked in butter. A black coffee.
    L: Salad with iceberg lettuce, carrot, avocado, tomato and tuna. 6 deglet nour dates. 1 fresh fig.
    D: Turkey and courgette patties with avocado and horseradish (I didn't have wasabi). These were great. Replaced sweet chili sauce with vietnamese hot chilli sauce which doesn't have sugar, mixed with a bit of tamari and mirin. A piece of 85% dark chocolate. A couple of more dates.
    S: Cups of roiibos tea during the day, an earl grey tea at night, a tbsp of coconut oil before bed.

Exercise: 10 min stationary bike to warm up and 2 x 12min weight circuits at the gym.
    Sun: Walked to the supermarket on my lunchbreak.
    Fun: Not much active fun today! Monday is my cleaning night so hoovered all over the house and cleaned the bathtub. After that sat down to watch a well-earned episode of Mad Men and knit. Was in bed by 10.

Comments: The dates are like sweets; I really need to watch myself with them so as not to have too many, in fact may have had too many today. I bought some fresh khalal dates for the first time this weekend but don't like the crunchy texture, prefer these sticky sweet ones. These can definitely be a treat food.

Wow, paleotrack has a ton of new nutrient information including amino acid breakdown which I know nothing about. Omega 6/3 balance will be interesting!

Annoyingly though, my vitamin K is over 400% DV after today's breakfast and lunch and I can't work out what I have done to cause that. Normally it tends to be low. Any ideas? I've had an omelette with broccoli for breakfast, and for lunch will have the same turkey patties as last night's dinner, plus half an avocado with a tomato. It was a bit high yesterday too. Broccoli?

PapaGrok is offline Member
    I'm also excited about the Omega6/Omega3 ratio. Since I don't have access to grass-fed and eat conventional meat, I'm always concerned about my omega ratio.

According to wikipedia, both broccoli and avocado are good sources of Vitamin K. Why are you annoyed with having a high DV%? Unless it's below 100%, I don't care what the value is, since I doubt I could ingest a lethal dose by eating real whole foods.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast