Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 3

Primal Fuel
    Hi Pineneedles - Just catching up on your posts - looks like you're doing great! Well done! All going in the right direction... Looking at your food diary makes me realise what a complete glutton I am! I've managed to hold off weighing myself and I'll be joining you with getting on the scale next Wednesday, I nearly gave in and weighed myself this morning... But I figure it's only a few days to go... And what would knowing the number do anyway? ;-)

Pineneedles is online now Senior Member
    Thanks! It's very hard for me not to snack, I'm so used to it. But having enough protein and fat at meals definitely helps.

Someone has just opened a bag of Minstrels and a bag of peanut M&Ms at the desk opposite mine, as a Friday treat for everyone. I will resist. But I really miss having dried fruit & nuts snack in my desk drawer!

Wow! You are strong willed. Well done on the no snacking! M&Ms are gross anyway right?! All those legumes.... *sigh*

Actually I agree with you - I don't miss non primal 'cheats' - I finally realised that a 'cheat' or 'treat' that left me feeling ropy for days wasn't so much of a treat after all. But yes, no snacks is tough - v impressed! =)
    Last edited by Super Gaily Girl; 10-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Today I have the sniffles. The second cold I have caught in two months, which is disappointing considering I have been eating well, exercising and supplementing vitamin D. I'm even having green tea with echinacea. Anything else I can do for my immune system? I think it's pretty good at fighting back - I'm never very ill or for long - but I'd prefer not to catch these things in the first place!

Right, let's try to think back to the weekend. On one hand it would be great if I could track better during the weekend, on the other, I spend so much time looking at a computer during the week that it's probably good that I don't.
    FRI
    B- two-egg omelette
    L- beef shatkora with romanesco cauliflower
    S- two pints of ale in the pub (not great I know)
    D- went for an indian takeaway after the pub, I had the mixed tandoori of chicken, lamb and prawns and half a brinjal bhaji (aubergines in a tomato/onion sauce) which I thought was a decent choice. Also had a couple of tbsp of my boyfriend's green chicken curry with herbs and ground almonds. Finished my soft figs as pudding.
    Exercise: none, rest day, a bit of walking
    Sun: According to Dr Briffa the sun is now too low down even at midday to give us vitamin D. But I still sat outside for a bit , it's good for my mood.

SAT
    B: two-egg omelette cooked in butter. A black coffee
    L: The rest of the mixed tandoori takeaway (only chicken breast left) with half an avocado and a tomato. The rest of the crunchy figs.
    D: A chicken leg with buffalo sauce (butter and hot sauce), coleslaw (with yoghurt dressing; a compromise from my no-dairy month) and sweet potato wedges with smoked paprika. Three small glasses of red wine.
    Exercise: 8 x hill sprints in the park. Then a bit of a jog to recover and cool down. It's funny I can now jog to cool down where only a few years ago I would have been out of breath just doing that!

SUN
    B: none
    L: A chicken drumstick, some coleslaw and a couple of sweet potato wedges. 10g dark chocolate. This was a leftovers picnic which we took to Kensington Gardens. I wanted to go to Kew but the trains didn't seem to be running. Maybe next weekend.
    D: Oxtail and beef stew with mashed potatoes. Made this in the slow cooker yesterday. It had cooled down in the fridge and the liquid was so gelatinous it was practically solid. Superb.
    S: Two mugs of mulled wine. I could feel the cold coming on so thought a hot spicy drink might stop it in its tracks! Apparently not.

Have successfully resisted getting on the scales but felt like I ate a lot both days, especially at dinner, and quite a few drinks too. So I'm not too hopeful on the weight loss front. But at the moment would just like to get over this cold. I made chicken and beef stock with the bones from the chicken legs and the oxtail stew, and will make some vegetable soup this evening.

I felt all bunged up and miserable yesterday. Didn't feel up to exercising and fell back on the comforts of honey in my tea and some fruit juice. Nothing worse though.

Sleep: 9 hrs
    B: 1/2 an avocado, a ginger+turmeric+honey tea
    L: Beef and oxtail stew. I portioned this out rather unevenly: my dinner the night before had loads of veg and not much meat, this time the other way round! Easily half of my bowl was beef. Very tasty, though I have to say, before I heat this up it rather looks like dog food with the jellified stock. Also had a little raspberry and red pepper juice - didn't taste too sweet but the bulk of it was still apple juice.
    S: a Kiwi fruit (still going for the vitamin C)
    D: Curried vegetable soup made of onion, swede, carrots, celery, parsnip, cauliflower and a bit of cabbage, garlic and ginger, and pav bhaji spice mix, and chicken/beef bone stock. Stirred in a tbsp of butter before eating. Again not the most attractive of soups. But tasted good.
    Throughout the day cups of roiibos, green tea, ginger tea and black tea, some of which had tsp of raw honey. A couple of tbsp throughout the day I guess.
    Calories 1587 - 89g protein, 88g fat, 109g carbs (22/51/27%)
    Sun: A bit at lunchtime
    Fun: Didn't feel like doing anything except wrapping myself in a blanket and watching Mad Men. My cat was just as lethargic - more so in fact - and did not budge from the sofa the entire evening.

Went to bed at 9.30 and slept for 10 hours! And feeling much better this morning. And could it be... my jeans are feeling a bit loose around the thighs? Perhaps I'll see some results when weighing and measuring tomorrow!

Having a cold has been my excuse for not exercising this week and sleeping a lot instead. I would have felt well enough to go this morning but decided against in the end. Will go tomorrow morning. Also have been skipping my meditation practice which consists of breathing through the nose and isn't much fun with a blocked nose.

Yesterday:
    10 hours sleep. I was going to read in bed for a bit but got too sleepy.
    B: none
    L: Curried vegetable soup, a tin of sardines, an apple.
    D: Oxtail and beef stew, 10g 85% chocolate.
    S: Was hungry after dinner and cooked some mushrooms, tomatoes and eggs. Also had another couple of tsp of honey in my tea today.
    Exercise: none

Weigh in this morning at the end of the challenge: 58.9 kgs. / 130 lbs. 1.4 kgs down since 12 September (although that weight may have been a post-weekend high). By measurements have lost 2 cm around the waist, 4 cm around the abdomen (again that is likely to have been bloating rather than fat) 2 cm around the hips and 3cm around the thighs! Pleased about the thighs as that is where most of the fat is sitting.

Tried on my goal-jeans and I can do them up but they are still too tight to wear in public.

My skin doesn't seem to have improved by abstaining from dairy for a month so I'm going to add yoghurt and cheese back in at least and might allow myself cream in my coffee too at least part of the time. Other than that I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing, but with more attention on not overdoing sweet foods even if they are natural and the sugar isn't added.

So my maths are no good: Actually I started the challenge month at 61.4kgs and finished at 58.9 which means 2.5 kgs lost, some of which apparently from my brain.

I have not felt like exercising at all this week but have felt like sleeping a lot. I blame the cold. I'm feeling better though, most of the mucus has cleared. Will try to make it to the gym tomorrow morning and do a circuit training routine, and then the usual sprints on Saturday, to get back to normal. While I think it's good to listen to my body and rest, it's also easy to fall of track.

B: Mushrooms, an egg, a tomato, some plain yoghurt with blackberries.
    L: Curried vegetable soup. 4 brazil nuts. I don't know why I bought brazil nuts again. A licorice bar (completely non-primal with sugar and wheat but I considered this my post-challenge treat.)
    D: My boyfriend wanted to get an Indian takeaway as there is a weeknight offer at one of our local favourite restaurants. For some reason most of this did not taste nice at all. Usually I love Indian food. My tastebuds may be a bit gone as a result of my cold, this often happens. So I just had a few bits of lamb, a few bits of potato, some rice, a popadom, and a little bit of lovely carrot chutney (as far as I can tell, consisting of raw grated carrot, raw grated cauliflower, raw ginger, green chillies, mustard seeds and mustard oil; therefore hot enough for me to actually taste it. If only there had been more of it). 20g of 70% chocolate.

Getting a few spots on my face in the past couple of days! Wonder what has brought them on.

Slipped up a bit after dinner yesterday. I find it hard to know what to eat for dinner when I'm going out to a class after work. I don't have time to go anywhere for a proper meal and end up in a supermarket desperately looking for something healthy and nourishing that can be eaten with no further preparation. A couple of weeks ago in this situation I was eating cold meatballs from a bag and felt like a tramp.

Suppose I should pack dinner as well as lunch but it feels like a lot to carry around. There are generally at least two nights a week when I go out straight after work and don't get home until about 10pm, well after dinnertime. I'm thinking of trying to build up to a full fast day on one of these.

Sleep: 9 hrs.
    B: A two-egg omelette cooked in butter. Some plain yogurt. Some mornings I'm just too hungry to try to skip breakfast. I hope eating breakfast when I'm hungry is the right thing to do.
    L: Smoked mackerel, avocado, carrot and tomato salad. Not sure this all went together but it was what I had in the fridge! 3 brazil nuts.
    D: A M&S spanish style chicken "salad" with half a chicken breast, some turmeric rice with a few butter beans, piquillo peppers and a few spinach leaves.
    S: This is where I tripped up: after coming home from my life drawing class I had a piece of dark chocolate with my cup of tea - this was ok - but then somehow ended up eating 4 hungarian biscuits my flatmate had brought back and left in an enormous open bag on the kitchen table. They're quite small but it clearly wasn't a conscious decision. I just ate them because they were there.
    So let's say 1738 calories - 84g protein, 92g fat, 142g carbs. 19/48/33

Fun: Life drawing is the best. And we had a good looking male life model this evening. Back and shoulder muscles in particular, lovely. Did I say this really helps you appreciate the human body? :-)
    Exercise: just a bit of walking around. Tried to go for a walk at lunchtime but it was raining a bit so I went back indoors.

This morning I felt a slight sugar hangover from the biscuits. (Not worth it! Remember next time: Not worth it!) But also I managed to go to the gym. Well done. The weather is brighter but a bit cold.

I just typed up most of my weekend and then my browser crashed! Let's have another go.

Friday:
    Sleep: 8 hrs
    Meditation: Yes
    Exercise: Finally made it to the gym. 10 min warm-up on rowing machine, then 2 x 12min weight circuits. Found these easier after a week's break; maybe the rest did some good.
    B: Half an avocado
    L: Smoked mackerel salad with lettuce, beetroot, tomato and cucumber. A couple of brazil nuts.
    D: Indian lamb burger, two boiled eggs, cucumber raita. A piece of 70% chocolate. A glass of red wine.
    S: Hungry after dinner so ate a few spoonfuls of greek yoghurt.

On Friday evening after work I had a feeling of well-being and happiness, in an almost floaty way.

Saturday:
    Got on the scale in the morning to see a number of 58.6. I actually thought "oh no! losing weight a bit too quickly" and scaled up my eating a bit for the weekend, especially at dinnertime, especially potatoes. Ok, oven chips. Not very primal I know.
    Sleep: 8 hrs
    Meditation: yes
    Exercise: Hill sprints in the park first thing in the morning. Then a few miles walking around during the day.
    B: A slice of game terrine (venison and pheasant), two boiled eggs, some sliced cucumber. Two cups of coffee with double cream. What a treat.
    L: A leftover lamb burger with a bit of cucumber raita.
    D: Beef chilli cooked in beef bone stock with grated cheddar, 1/4 an avocado, oven chips. Two medjool dates. A glass of brandy.

Sunday:
    Meditation: no. Often forget to on Sunday, probably because I get up later.
    Exercise: None, except some leisurely walking around in the City and the Barbican.
    B: A bit of greek yoghurt. Two cups of coffee with double cream. Four hungarian biscuits. Oh dear. They are still on the kitchen table and my nose caught their gingery aroma while I was drinking my coffee.
    L: We went to Brick Lane for lunch at the street food market and I got a burmese lamb curry which wasn't nice at all. The lamb was gristly, the potatoes undercooked and there was lots and lots of rice. Did not enjoy. So my boyfriend ate some of it and the rest got thrown away. I was quite upset at this. I hate it when food is disappointing, especially when it's something I've bought as a rare treat as I seldom eat out. Should have gone for the yummy Ethiopian vege food.
    S: Half a pack of pork scratchings and a fruit snack pack of pineapple, apple pieces and strawberries.
    D: More yummy beef chilli with cheddar cheese, half a jacket potato and oven chips. Double potatoes! Two medjool dates, a piece of dark chocolate, a glass of mulled wine.

So a lot of treats overall but some good choices too. A lot of moving slowly and some sprints too. No stress to speak of.

Looking forward to my dinner tonight which will be lambs' liver with bacon, onions and buttery savoy cabbage. I used to like liver when I was very small, then went off it and now haven't eaten it for a long time. Tried a chicken liver the other week which was very nice, so looking forward to seeing if I like lambs liver too.

Oh dear... chocolate cheesecake at work was too good to pass. I can resist anything shop-bought but homemade cakes are my weakness. Definitely on an emotional basis - I feel connected to the person who made it!

Anyway the rest of my meals today have been and will be very healthy and my gut is not complaining so that was my 20%...

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast