Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 2

nuraan is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pineneedles - found your journal ... interesting reading and i need to stay away from the sweet stuff as well - a definite weakness

Schatze is offline Junior Member
    I love dates too! I have to be careful around them tho - they are so good it's too easy to eat too many. I like the chewier ones.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGrok View Post
    I'm also excited about the Omega6/Omega3 ratio. Since I don't have access to grass-fed and eat conventional meat, I'm always concerned about my omega ratio.

According to wikipedia, both broccoli and avocado are good sources of Vitamin K. Why are you annoyed with having a high DV%? Unless it's below 100%, I don't care what the value is, since I doubt I could ingest a lethal dose by eating real whole foods.
    I am only annoyed I don't know what I did right so I can keep my vit K up there all the time! Broccoli and avocado it is.

As for Omega 6/3 - as there are no grass-fed options for meat and dairy, would we assume that the amounts on paleotrack are conventionally produced foods?

Today it's telling me I've had too much Omega 6, and this is on a day I am having salmon for dinner and not a nut or seed in sight. I take that's the turkey mince then. This might actually become rather dispiriting.

Hey nuraan and Schatze! Thanks for your comments.

The good thing is if I develop the discipline to enjoy dates and dark chocolate in moderation I don't think I'll ever feel the need to have more processed sweets again.

nuraan is offline Senior Member
    my thinking is since i maintained my weight for so long, if i sacrifice the chocolate, dairy and nuts until i lose the weight i can then have some when i reach my goal. and yes dates can be so good when you in need of something sweet

Yeah primal treats are my downfall and probably why I haven't lost much weight. But I am a person who used to eat a whole packet of hobnobs in one evening so as long as I'm not binging it's a step forward. Maybe I can work towards being more strict.

Yesterday:
    B: A two-egg omelette cooked in butter. Four large florets of broccoli. A black coffee with a bit of coconut oil.
    L: More of the turkey patties I had for dinner the day before, with half an avocado, a tomato and spring onion.
    D: Chard and salmon in beef broth flavoured with ginger and garlic. This was amazing. I might write it up in the recipe forum. I love chard. I love salmon. I love beef bone broth. Basically all the good stuff thrown together.
    S: 3 dates, 10g 85% chocolate and a tbsp of tahini with a drop of honey. Ginger tea and black tea.

Apart from the omega 6 thing my nutrition values in paleotrack are great today.
    Weight this morning 58.9kg / 131 lbs.
    Sleep: 8.5 hrs
    Exercise: none, rest day, a bit of walking around.
    Sun: Sat outside eating lunch but the wind was a bit cool.

My lunch must have been big enough / protein heavy enough for once as I wasn't hungry again by the time I left work. Usually I'm ravenous. Really looking forward to having my dinner leftovers for lunch today. Also I'm trying to shorten my eating window so haven't had breakfast yet, going to wait until I'm properly hungry.

Edited to add: here's what I had for dinner last night. It looked pretty too! Should have taken a picture.
    Last edited by Pineneedles; 10-05-2011 at 04:40 AM.

I feel like I'm doing everything right this week but not seeing results. Hmm. Will try to take my meditation teacher's advice when feeling impatient about not reaching a goal: give up, and go on. I.e stop letting the perceived goal distract you from the process.

Yesterday:
    B1 a black coffee with a bit of coconut oil
    B2 (at 11.30) 2 hard-boiled eggs, a banana.
    L Chard and salmon in beef broth with ginger and garlic
    D Red kale, chorizo, mushrooms, sweet potato and onion sauteed in olive oil, with a poached egg on top. 4 dates and 10g dark chocolate.

1390 calories, 66g protein, 79g fat, 103g carbs (19%/51%/30%). Omega 6/3 2.2:1

Sleep: 8.5 hrs but was tired in the morning. I always either wake up very thirsty or have to get up in the night to pee.
    Exercise: 10min warm-up on stationary bike, then 2 x 12min weight circuits.
    Weight this morning 58.9kgs

PapaGrok is offline Member
    Your meditation teacher's advice might be a good idea, because you seem to be doing everything right. The only thing I can see is the carbs are perhaps too high for you. 100g is a maintenance level for many people, perhaps you should be aiming for 50g instead. I know.... no dates, bananas, or dark chocolate, that sucks!

Could be. :-( It's been between 60 g and 110 g for the past week. Maybe I'll try to lower it to 75 g max and see if it makes a difference. I think at 50 grams I'd really suffer! I'd probably have to bring back cheese as a treat, to compensate. No cheese, no nuts, no fruit, no chocolate does not a happy girl make.

I'll get some frozen berries instead of the more sugary fruit.

Eventually I'm hoping to maintain on something like the Perfect Health Diet with a fair amount of starchy veg, fruit and even a bit of white rice.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yesterday:
    B1 A black coffee with a bit of coconut oil
    B (at 11.30) 2 boiled eggs
    L Red kale, chorizo, mushrooms, onions and a bit of sweet potato sauteed in olive oil
    D Beef shatkora (a slow-cooked curry made with citrus fruit and ghee) with a small sweet potato. An apple.
    S Rooibos and green tea during the day, a black tea at night. No food snacks!

1337 calories, 69g protein, 82g fats, 80g carbs (21/55/24%). Omega 6/3: 4.5:1

Sleep: 8.5 hrs.
    Exercise: A quick jog around the park in the morning (didn't time it but about half an hour including time getting to and from the park)
    Sun: Sat outside during lunch break - sunny but there was a definite chill in the wind!

Weight still 59.8kgs. I think I'm going stop getting on the scale until the end of the challenge month next Wednesday. Then I can take measurements too to see if anything has changed.

Tonight I'm going out to the pub to see a friend we don't see too often. Will try to take it easy on the drinks. Don't want to be hung over tomorrow as that always makes me super hungry.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast