Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Pineneedles) page 15

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for your nice messages!

I had the most useless week last week. Think it was the driving test stress. Failed it (2nd time) which isn't a big deal, just annoying that I have to try again but never mind. I didn't eat proper meals all week, just snacking, exact opposite of what I was trying to be doing, haven't exercised, didn't manage to do any housework, just wanted to go home and wrap myself in a duvet.

Feeling a bit more energetic this week and somewhat back on track with the food. Had a fast day yesterday with just one meal before bed (though I don't know what the calories in that were and it was bean and sweetcorn soup so not ideal food). Cooked a lot of meat and veg on Sunday in the hope of the leftovers lasting me the whole week.

Today:
    Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 3 little tomatoes, an apple, a banana.
    Lunch: Red cabbage, celery, chicken and walnut salad with pomegranate molasses dressing. An apple.
    Dinner will be braised red cabbage and roast lamb, or celery soup, or a bit of both.
    The day has turned from foggy to sunny so hope to go for a run after work before the sun sets.
    After that need to clean the house a bit.

Didn't manage to go for a run last night. Left work later than planned, by the time I got home it was getting dark and I didn't feel like going out again.

Feeling low since last week and can't seem to snap out of it. Everything just feels like rubbish and I'm useless at it, work, exercise, sticking to good food choices, tidying up after myself, friendships, hobbies, you name it.

My new head of dept came by yesterday and we had a brief chat about something I'm working on at the moment and I'm now paranoid she already thinks I'm useless at my job which is probably true anyway. Also we've been looking at flats to buy - after saving for a deposit for 6 years - which should be fun and exciting but the nature of the market at the moment makes that, too, feel impossible and disempowering and like all the saving has been in vain when the prices are just rocketing out of reach and everything in our price range gets snapped up instantly. These things combine to make me feel like London doesn't want me here. Then again Finland certainly doesn't want me back either.

Fasting today which is so far so good and have some new herbal tea (licorice & oriental spices) to help get through the afternoon. I'm baking tonight but it's a yeasty bake so no danger of licking the bowl.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    It is all about attitude isn't it. Once you start down the low path it is hard to turn around. Pick one thing that you can force yourself to see positive in, even the worst things have at least one positive you can focus on.

Livlytique is offline Senior Member
    I'm on the London flat hunt too. It's really tough, I have the deposit but a rubbish salary so I'm priced out of everywhere! I have had so many conversations with my parents just going in circles and always feeling like saving is totally futile in this city. Still, I have faith, and so should you! The shared ownership scheme is pretty good when there's two of you buying together.

I'm sorry you're feeling low, is it at all hormonal? I know it's easier said than done, but if you can get out for some fresh air at lunchtime I think you'd feel better, even if you can't be bothered with a run. Anyway, as Mark et al say, exercise only counts for 20% and I'm really impressed by your ability to fast, I think that's the hardest part but you seem to have it nailed!

Find the positives. I think I need that tattooed on the back of my hand. Mark's post about 10 effective habits yesterday rang a bell, especially the first one about taking responsibility for your life without beating yourself up about what's gone wrong.

Well the fasting has been very wobbly lately. Fine through the day but then the evening has gone wrong as often as not. Yesterday I got home and wanted to eat everything, but luckily there wasn't anything awful available, some raisins, celery soup which was what I'd planned to have dinner, dried apples, braised red cabbage, finished a bit of brie that was in the fridge. OK did also eat a bit of the sweet dough tea bread I'd made for tonight. I think this bake-off challenge has to stop, as much fun as it is, it just means too many baked goods around for too much of the week.

My birth control pretty much stops my periods so don't get much hormonal fluctuation (and don't miss it!). I think it's been a sugar vicious cycle. Eat too much sugar --> feel like crap --> feel like eating sugar. And so on.

Thought about this last night and I think I need to get better at recognising that when I'm feeling low that means I need to look after myself better, and doesn't mean that I get to give up on everything and start feeling sorry for myself. When I'm not feeling great that's when I need to put myself into bed at 10, make sure I have three solid meals a day based on protein and veg, and make an effort to exercise (or at least get outdoors, as you say). That's exactly when it's important, although it's difficult.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a little apple, a banana, coffee with milk. A bit of teabread while I was slicing it in half to fit in the cake tin. I'm such a nibbler and that's why it's not a good idea to have cakes around, I just won't be able to resist having a little bit every time I go past. Once we've eaten some tonight it's going to go in the freezer.
    Lunch: Left my soup at home so need to go out and buy something. New office, new area of London, so a good opportunity to go and explore the surroundings.
    Dinner: There's still a portion of roast lamb and carrots left over from Sunday so that needs finishing, and then there will be cake but I'll exercise restraint and just one little piece of each and enjoy it.

Exercise: Hope to get home a bit early today and go for a run.

New week, new beginning. New month, too, nearly, so time for a new challenge. Or maybe will just reiterate last month's challenge: no snacks, 2 fasting days with either just a small evening meal or liquid fast, 5 eating days of 3 meals a day of good nutritious food, plenty of sleep, moderate exercise. My food tracking has fallen by the wayside. But what I learned is that it feels like a much more positive mindset to make sure each meal contains a minimum amount of protein, veg, starch and fruit, than trying to avoid "bad" foods". Also what I learned is that it's especially important to keep off sugar on fasting days.

Weekend was very lazy. Eating wasn't too bad although drank a fair bit (wine and vodka) on Saturday night. Main indulgence was an apple and blackberry crumble with ice cream for pudding last night. Other than that stayed wheat and sugar free.

Have had a sore throat for a couple of days and felt a bit dizzy headed and achy yesterday so some sort of virus but it hasn't fully struck. There's chicken stock simmering in the slow cooker so that will be dinner, maybe with an egg stirred in. Just coffee with milk for breakfast, now having a ginger tea.

Uh oh sounds like you've got the beginnings of the dreaded cold everyone has at the mo! I had about a week of sore throat activity before the rest kicked in! All about the chicken soup and ginger tea

Successful fast yesterday with a small, late dinner of chicken stock with two eggs poached in it, and a couple of spoonfuls of leftover crumble fruit (just the fruit bit). Stressful day though; had to take my cat to the vet surgery which he hated and in the end had to stay overnight for tests which was expensive and they haven’t actually found out what’s wrong with him (he’s coughing; though it might have been a blade of grass stuck in his throat but it wasn’t). Picked him up this morning and he’s very anxious even about being at home. Keen to check on him as soon as I get out of work.

Today so far
    Breakfast – coffee with milk, 2 boiled eggs, 1 banana, 3 small potatoes.
    Lunch – coleslaw (no mayo), chicken, 3 small potatoes
    Dinner – going to try to make an Iranian lamb, cabbage and rice dish.
    Exercise – carrying a 5.5kg cat in a 1.5kg box over the distance of of a hilly mile. (That sounds like a physics question.) Going for a walk in the park now, should be more relaxing.
    Sleep – 7.5 hrs, good.

Sore throat feels better today but upper chest feels a bit congested so perhaps that's where the cold is going. More ginger tea and chicken stock for me. This batch of stock turned out really well.

Sorry to hear about your cat hope he was less anxious when you got home...

How did the lamb go, and how do you make your chicken soup? I feel like I haven't cooked properly for ages! So lazy at the moment, and so little money.

The cat was more cheerful when I got home. Still seems to have a sore throat and drinking water makes him cough. Poor puss.

I make chicken stock with a roast chicken carcass and bones, a splash of vinegar, half an onion, a carrot, celery (or whichever of these I have) and a few peppercorns thrown in the slow cooker on low for about 24 hours, then strain it and use as a base for different soups or broths. For the eggs I put in some soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. With the rest of it might make mushroom and garlic soup.

The lamb recipe turned out very nicely. Will make it again. It was called kalam polo or kalam polow. You could make it with less rice and more cabbage. I doubled the lamb. I followed this recipe, some of the others I looked at make the lamb into little meatballs and serve alongside but it was nice having it mixed in as the lamb fat could get absorbed in the rice and cabbage (yum!).

I'm very broke for the next two weeks due to the unexpected vet bill so will need to spend the absolute minimum on food. Luckily my veg box has been paid for in advance but may end up eating more rice than usual. And eggs and tinned sardines.

Today:
    Breakfast: Coffee with milk, a bit of chicken while making the lunch salad, a banana
    Lunch: Roast chicken with coleslaw
    Dinner will be leftover kalam polow, will try to find some veg to go with it.
    Sleep: slept well, 8 hrs.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast